Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Worst ever Dons squad

All the journeymen listed on the Fit Like thread got me thinking of all the pish players that have played for us over the years. So I started looking back at some old squads.

How the fuck did Calderwood get this heap of shit to finish 4th in the league in 04/05!?? Only 4 of these guys I'd have anywhere near our squad now.

No. Position Player

1 England GK David Preece

2 Scotland DF Phil McGuire

3 Scotland DF Kevin McNaughton

4 Scotland DF Russell Anderson (Captain)

5 Scotland DF Zander Diamond

6 Scotland MF Scott Severin

7 England MF Markus Paatelainen

7 Scotland MF Steve Tosh

8 Finland MF Markus Heikkinen

9 England FW Steven Craig

10 Scotland MF Derek Adams

11 Scotland MF Chris Clark

14 Scotland FW Darren Mackie

15 Scotland DF Michael Hart

16 Scotland MF Scott Morrison

17 Iceland FW Thorarinn Kristjansson

18 Scotland DF Scott Muirhead

19 Scotland FW John Stewart

20 Scotland GK Ryan Esson

21 Scotland DF Richard Foster

22 Scotland MF Jamie Winter

23 England FW Noel Whelan

24 Argentina FW Fernando Pasquinelli

25 Republic of Ireland MF Gary Dempsey

27 Republic of Ireland DF Richie Byrne

28 Finland FW Mikko Paatelainen

29 Czech Republic FW Lubomir Blaha

50 Serbia and Montenegro GK Saša Ili?

Must be the worst squad we ever had??

And to think, that was when Scottish football was healthy....some of those names are enough to make you cry. Bar those four, its no wonder we weren't that good. Amazing to think they managed to finish fourth. Seriously overachieved. But then again, I think that's realistically all you needed to be mediocre in that league at the time, journeymen with a few good players. I'm glad those days are gone now!

All the journeymen listed on the Fit Like thread got me thinking of all the pish players that have played for us over the years. So I started looking back at some old squads.

How the fuck did Calderwood get this heap of shit to finish 4th in the league in 04/05!?? Only 4 of these guys I'd have anywhere near our squad now.

No. Position Player

1 England GK David Preece

2 Scotland DF Phil McGuire

3 Scotland DF Kevin McNaughton

4 Scotland DF Russell Anderson (Captain)

5 Scotland DF Zander Diamond

6 Scotland MF Scott Severin

7 England MF Markus Paatelainen

7 Scotland MF Steve Tosh

8 Finland MF Markus Heikkinen

9 England FW Steven Craig

10 Scotland MF Derek Adams

11 Scotland MF Chris Clark

14 Scotland FW Darren Mackie

15 Scotland DF Michael Hart

16 Scotland MF Scott Morrison

17 Iceland FW Thorarinn Kristjansson

18 Scotland DF Scott Muirhead

19 Scotland FW John Stewart

20 Scotland GK Ryan Esson

21 Scotland DF Richard Foster

22 Scotland MF Jamie Winter

23 England FW Noel Whelan

24 Argentina FW Fernando Pasquinelli

25 Republic of Ireland MF Gary Dempsey

27 Republic of Ireland DF Richie Byrne

28 Finland FW Mikko Paatelainen

29 Czech Republic FW Lubomir Blaha

50 Serbia and Montenegro GK Saša Ili?

Must be the worst squad we ever had??

Did we pay any money for any of them?

Hart was great for a couple of years, he was one of my favorites from that era.  His pace was central to JC's game.

Dinna think he'd replace Logan though, even at his peak.

Preece isn't any worse than Brown/Langfield.  Nae any better either mind.

Looking at that squad, it's hard to understand why JC hasn't had another proper chance in the SPL.  Look at clowns like McCoist or Barraclough.  JC is a different class to them, even if you're nae a fan, you've got to admit he's a cut above some of the absolute chancers who've had decent gigs here recently.

In and out of the team at mid-table, League 2 also-rans, Northampton Town.

Sure I read somewhere he enjoys not having the pressure of playing in Scotland. Aye, probably because no-one knows who you are. Complete waste of talent, had great potential but just believed his own hype.

The Diamond of 04/05 was also a far better player than the burnt out, lazy husk who eventually left us.

Totally agree with that.

Diamond played in excess of 200 games for us.

Probably at least a third too many in my opinion

Would Paterson's squad not have been worse than that? (although agree with your point about getting that squad to 4th)

Calderwood, in my opinion, didn't get another full time gig for two reasons. the first is that he needs cash, won't use the youth system so will always go to the transfer market first and for the last few years clubs in Scotland just haven't had the cash.  The second is how he is perceived in public. He comes across as a cocky loudmouth; he accentuated his moderate successes and distanced himself from his failures.  His "I've taken this team as far as I can" after whipping Celtic 4-2 was ill advised in the extreme but showed he was far too quick to praise himself as we then went on a wretched run of results.

He's a poor man's Sam Allardyce, essentially.

John Stewart... holy crap forgot about him. My only real memory of him was his superb last minute goal against Celtic at Porkhead. I think we won it 3-1 if i remember correctly.

Pretty sure it was 3-2 and on a Wednesday.

Pretty sure it was 3-2 and on a Wednesday.

Aye you're absolutely right there! ...2-0 us, then Celtic came back into it and then we got the last minute winner. I briefly remember listening to it on the radio. If my ever dwindling memory serves me right, i think he had another 2 goals against Celtic in an end of a season affair.. though again i could be wrong. Something sticks in my mind that Celtic had the league wrapped up, they were singing ' you are only here for the party' at Pittodrie and we came back from two gaols down and got the draw... of course i could be mixing some memories up there again :laughing: