Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Plastic Whistle - Sat - 3PM

My gripe with yesterdays game and that of the Dundee game, is that we have somehow started to let 'long ball' tactics creep into our game. Several times yesterday both Taylor and Reynolds punted the ball up to no one, which in itself is bad enough, but we we dont have a tall enough or physical enough players to deal with the long ball, with the exception of Rooney. I have personally thought for a few weeks now that Reynolds has been poor at the back. He looks unsure at times and resorts to punting tactics more often than a straightforward pass.

The criticism of Langfield/Brown for the season is justified to an extent, but he Langfield didnt do much wrong yesterday. His kicking is pish, but thats no secret. What i cant stand is defenders needlessly passing the ball back to him and allowing the margin of error to increase. He should be able to cope with standard back passes, but he doesnt so therefore there is no need to pass it too him.

Yesterday was frustrating, we didnt play well and we didnt look like we were going to create anything. The referee's decision against Hayes was bizarre to say the least and once again that may have cost us points. A draw was a fair result, dissipointing as it is. Hopefully we can pick ourselves up and wrap up second place. Once that happens I would like to see Shankland, Cammy et.al get starts in the remainder of the games. Looking forward to next season already.

I think we've also got to remember how far we've come. It used to be that "a bad day at the office" resulted in a sizeable defeat to rivals on a fraction of our budget. We're now in a position where I canna even remember the last time we lost at home.

I haven't looked this up but it was probably that last minute goal against the Tims.

First game of the season against the Jutes.

is that the only 2 defeats at home so far this season?

I think we've also got to remember how far we've come. It used to be that "a bad day at the office" resulted in a sizeable defeat to rivals on a fraction of our budget. We're now in a position where I canna even remember the last time we lost at home.

I haven't looked this up but it was probably that last minute goal against the Tims.

First game on the season against the Jutes.

is that the only 2 defeats so far this season?

I had a quick look and yes it looks like the only two league games we have lost at home. Not too bad at all.

Well that was shite. Very poor back to front. Conditions played a part in that but would say our tactics were largely to blame. Reverted to long balls far to quickly yesterday as we did against Dundee. Flood starting was a waste of time. Not a reflection on Floods efforts but against Thistle we do not need a player of his style. Should have been a straight 4-4-2 yesterday. As others have said could not believe the stick Langfield took yesterday. Do not think he did much wrong yesterday in fact bailed out Renynolds and Taylor a couple of times with good saves. However neither Langfield or Brown is good enough and we really need to get a decent keeper in this summer.

Really hope we are not going to suffer the same run of form as this time last year but is beginning to look like we are.

I had a quick look and yes it looks like the only two league games we have lost at home. Not too bad at all.

Says a lot in itself.  I'm not for one second saying we should be satisfied with our lot, but it has been a season of great progress.  There is a lot still to be done and we're far from the finished article but that statistic says it all imo.  Players do need to realise that the season is not over yet though.

Well that was shite. Very poor back to front. Conditions played a part in that but would say our tactics were largely to blame. Reverted to long balls far to quickly yesterday as we did against Dundee. Flood starting was a waste of time. Not a reflection on Floods efforts but against Thistle we do not need a player of his style. Should have been a straight 4-4-2 yesterday. As others have said could not believe the stick Langfield took yesterday. Do not think he did much wrong yesterday in fact bailed out Renynolds and Taylor a couple of times with good saves. However neither Langfield or Brown is good enough and we really need to get a decent keeper in this summer.

Really hope we are not going to suffer the same run of form as this time last year but is beginning to look like we are.

Nail, head, nicely hit Jute. 

The starting formation yesterday was nothing short of bizarre, no one really seemed to know who was playing wide right.  Rooney, flood, Maclean and hayes all made appearances there during the first half and as a result we lacked balance and width.  I, obviously, have a lot of love for DM but he tactically got it very badly wrong yesterday and not for the first time this year  (and note I said year not season).  When a team sheet comes out these days I don't even bother trying to figure out what formation we will be playing anymore because he is so fond of throwing a curve-ball.  As Jute says 442 would have been ideal yesterday, hayes left, pawlett of Mcginn right maclean and jack in the middle.  He said post match that we had put plenty of balls into the box but you could count on one hand the number of times anyone did so from the by line.  The constant over complication of strategy is starting to hurt us and needs to stop, there is nothing wrong with playing a simple strategy like 442, especially when it allows your players to play their natural positions.  Honestly, who the fuck wants to see Adam Rooney playing on the flank? 

The worry is that with the challenge to Celtic gone, we'll get complacent. It's a bit early to say that, but we've been off the boil in both of the last two games, and we'll be up against better attacking sides in Inverness and Killie next. Let's close out the season, consolidate second place, and then decide what next.

I do think you need to credit Thistle, who were very good, but we were lethargic throughout.

For Caley, I'd certainly have Pawlett and McGinn straight back into the side.

Was just reading the BBC report.  They have us dominant in terms of possession (55%-45%, I think) with considerably more shots at goal and on target.

Are we in need of a little perspective over just how poor a performance we had?

We're still one of only two sides to concede less than a goal a game, yet folk are now calling for Reynolds to be dropped/rested as well as the perennial keeper crisis.

Kenny McLean is also now getting stick despite, to my eye, a fairly promising start in a side that has shifted systems frequently since his arrival.

I'm looking forward to Wed night.  They'll be up for it and we should all but secure 2nd will a win and hopefully a dominant performance.  I assume we'll see McGinn and Pawlett back in the starting 11, rested and with a point to prove.

A win on Wed and everything is hunky dory again.

Have to say, my opinion on McLean is still out, he's clearly a good player but not sure if he fits into our system just yet. From what I've seen, he likes to have a pop at goal which is probably a criticism I'd put at the door of some of our other midfielders that they don't do enough of so I'm happy about that. But something isn't clicking at the moment.

Stats are great, you're always able to massage them as you need, not having been there obviously I have to rely on others and I'd say the opinion seems fairly consistent. As I mentioned in another thread, I think everyone remembers how we used to be under other managers and get nervous as hell until the job is done. Rightly so IMO.

Yes.

Very much so, we have to qualify earlier which means more games. Also, mentally finishing 3rd would be a massive blow.  Our season would be a failure imo my opinion. Second and no trophy was my bare minimum, and I'd imagine it was the clubs too.

We're still one of only two sides to concede less than a goal a game, yet folk are now calling for Reynolds to be dropped/rested as well as the perennial keeper crisis.

Regardless of stats, Reynolds has been poor this season.  The St Johnstone Fri night game he put in perhaps the poorest outfield performance I've seen of any Don under DM.  He is well off his own standards.  I'm actually struggling to think of a game this year where he's looked like himself.  I thought Reynolds was superb for us last season, but this season... I don't know if it's tiredness (he's played a lot of football for two years solid), the added responsibility of the captaincy or the fact he doesn't have Anderson there to hold his hand but there's something really not right with him just now.

I'd imagine each place earns an extra few quid, plus you'd have less qualifying games in Europe?

I'd say it's debatable whether having less European qualifiers is a bad thing. Surely the more games played in Europe the better?

Do we know what the difference is in prize money between 2nd and 3rd? I'd imagine having a full house at Pittodrie for an extra Euro qualifier would bring in a fair bit of money which may offset any prize money losses.

I'd say it's debatable whether having less European qualifiers is a bad thing. Surely the more games played in Europe the better?

Do we know what the difference is in prize money between 2nd and 3rd? I'd imagine having a full house at Pittodrie for an extra Euro qualifier would bring in a fair bit of money which may offset any prize money losses.

Thats on the assumption that we'd win. You might well be right but at that stage it really is luck of the draw.