Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The sound of silence says a lot

It's not looking good as far as getting the "contract rebels" signed up. I'd say they're now as good as offski.

The sound of silence from Dons contract rebels Zander Diamond, Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson and Chris Clark is causing concern at Pittodrie.

Keeper Jamie Langfieldaccepted the new three-year deal offered to him by the club last week, but the other four have yet to make a commitment.

With the transfer window due to re-open next week and other clubs reported to be ready to pounce on some of his prize assets, manager Jimmy Calderwood is getting worried.

"The longer they leave it the more worried I get," said Calderwood.

"There's only a few days left now until the new year and they know we want answers by then."

Calderwood is clinging to the hope all four will accept their new deals.

He added: "It would be a blow to lose any of them, but losing all four would be devastating to our chances of maintaining a level of success at Aberdeen.

"I would be left with a rebuilding job, but let's hope it doesn't come to that. I'm hoping one will break ranks and sign and the rest will follow."

Having spent his playing days in England and Holland, Calderwood understands why the players have not dived in and accepted the new deals right away.

He said: "The temptation to go to other places and leagues to experience playing there will be great. I enjoyed my time in England and Holland as a player.

"But these four lads have never had a taste of what it's like to play outside Scotland and you can't criticise them for wondering what it would be like.

"Players talk, so they tend to know what their mates down in England are on.

"That would leave them with a straight choice - keep the bank manager happy or stay and experience more things like playing in Europe and hopefully the excitement of domestic cup runs."

Calderwood would prefer to keep the players until summer, even if they do announce they don't want to stay beyond that.

Markus Heikkinen and Kevin McNaughton continued as top team regulars until they made their moves to Luton Town and Cardiff City respectively.

"Markus and Kevin told us up front and they continued to play because we needed them," said Calderwood.

"It would be the same with any of the four players this time.

"If they have something sorted for the summer, but the teams aren't able to come to an agreement with Aberdeen to get them right away, I would be happy to still pick them.

"They would only drop out of my plans once we have nothing to play for, then I would look to give some of our younger lads a run."

He could of course set an example and accept a new contract himself, rather than stalling until the four contract rebels confirm they're offski, and clear the way for him to leave as well, citing his reason as the club failed ot match his ambitions.

Dinnae ken aboot abody else, but I think this is clearly going to all end in tears, and is leaving a bad taste in the mouth >:(

Can you blame Jimmy for being reluctant to sign a new contract? Sure, he's taken the team to phenomenal heights of 3rd place (nearly 2nd, if we'd clung on for a bit longer last season), and now the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

But still there's a big chunk of fans that just won't turn up because it's JC's team that is fielded. And then there's the fans that moan at every single glitch in his team. I must admit I'm a bit guilty of pointing the blame stick at Jimmy quite often.

But he moved to Aberdeen because he was excited by the prospect of being able to build the club up and get full houses coming in. Well, he's build the club's reputation back up to a level that's not been seen for a decade-and-a-half. But the crowds are still staying away. Infact, our crowd averages are lower than they ever were with Steve Paterson or Ebbe Skovdahl ... and he's achieved a lot more than either of them did.

Maybe he's ran out of ideas and patience in his attempt at luring more fans back to Pittodrie. A move to Hibs would possibly interest him, as there's quite a sizeable kitty there to play with, and Hibs actually have a fully operational youth system ... unlike us whose youth conveyor belt is stuttering and spluttering like Bertha.

Can you blame Jimmy for being reluctant to sign a new contract? Sure, he's taken the team to phenomenal heights of 3rd place (nearly 2nd, if we'd clung on for a bit longer last season), and now the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

But still there's a big chunk of fans that just won't turn up because it's JC's team that is fielded. And then there's the fans that moan at every single glitch in his team. I must admit I'm a bit guilty of pointing the blame stick at Jimmy quite often.

But he moved to Aberdeen because he was excited by the prospect of being able to build the club up and get full houses coming in. Well, he's build the club's reputation back up to a level that's not been seen for a decade-and-a-half. But the crowds are still staying away. Infact, our crowd averages are lower than they ever were with Steve Paterson or Ebbe Skovdahl ... and he's achieved a lot more than either of them did.

Maybe he's ran out of ideas and patience in his attempt at luring more fans back to Pittodrie. A move to Hibs would possibly interest him, as there's quite a sizeable kitty there to play with, and Hibs actually have a fully operational youth system ... unlike us whose youth conveyor belt is stuttering and spluttering like Bertha.

Great post there mate.

I have to agree with most of the remarks thus far. I get the very distinct impression that a sizeable number of them are leaving and that is probably affected by JC's reluctance to sign up himself.

As Al says, it looks like it's going to be a painful couple of months but players and managers come and they go. Good players will still want to play for Aberdeen, it's maybe just going to be different ones soon that's all.

Willie Miller's already told him how much cash will be available. So what's the problem for JC? Perhaps he should sit down with the contract rebels and ask them what they are waiting for. Is it more money? Is it reassurance that JC will be there next season? What is it?

On another note, it's awesome to see Langfield (note I've dropped the C) has penned a new deal. I was one to slate him regularly at the beginning of the season and pretty much all of last season. Hell, I was one of the "Give Preece A Chance" brigade. Infact I think I was the only one in that brigade. I regularly called him Clangfield for his mistakes and wished we had a better keeper.

But I hold my hands up and say sorry to him, as he has established himself in my good books now. I think he might've taken Severin's spot! And to see his response to the first goal against Copenhagen was just immense. Wish we had more players with his sort of passion.

Willie Miller's already told him how much cash will be available. So what's the problem for JC? Perhaps he should sit down with the contract rebels and ask them what they are waiting for. Is it more money? Is it reassurance that JC will be there next season? What is it?

On another note, it's awesome to see Langfield (note I've dropped the C) has penned a new deal. I was one to slate him regularly at the beginning of the season and pretty much all of last season. Hell, I was one of the "Give Preece A Chance" brigade. Infact I think I was the only one in that brigade. I regularly called him Clangfield for his mistakes and wished we had a better keeper.

But I hold my hands up and say sorry to him, as he has established himself in my good books now. I think he might've taken Severin's spot! And to see his response to the first goal against Copenhagen was just immense. Wish we had more players with his sort of passion.

JC wont sign a new deal as he wants a move south fr the cash. its as simple as that. he knowwss the deal available to him and the amount of cash he will have to spend. if he was hapy with this he would sign now.

JC wont sign a new deal as he wants a move south fr the cash. its as simple as that. he knowwss the deal available to him and the amount of cash he will have to spend. if he was hapy with this he would sign now.

If JC truly wants a crack at managing south of the border, then his best bet is to guide Aberdeen to the UEFA Cup.  And possibly 1 or 2 domestic honours first?

How much of a kick in the balls was it to him that Burnley went for Owen Coyle ahead of him?