Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Goodwillie - Signed

He's been my wife's favourite-named player for years.  :thumbsup:

She'll be delighted that she'll get to snicker at the Don's line up, whenever it's read out - if he plays regularly that is.

Was a really good youngster, could yet be a really good player again...

Goodwillie with potential to improve is a better bet than Zola or Magennis I'd say.

Think the new fitness coach will be devising a schedule to get him in shape. And, if we do, it creates genuine competition for places up front.

Likewise, if on occasion McGinn, Rooney and Goodwillie are all in the team we could terrorise the opposition.

Guy has been going backwards for a while with only 9 goals in 3 years and 3 of them in one game. Hopefully McInnes can turn him around but think it is a big risk as if he cannot as we have to small a squad to carry passengers.

Guy has been going backwards for a while with only 9 goals in 3 years and 3 of them in one game. Hopefully McInnes can turn him around but think it is a big risk as if he cannot as we have to small a squad to carry passengers.

We had passengers last season in Zola, Magennis, Vernon (on occasion - v Hearts springs to mind), and Wylde.

McInnes has been quite ruthless in that respect that they've all been shown the door.

I think he appreciates this is the place to get his career on track. He worked with Tony Doc at United I'm sure, knows the fitness coach is one of the best, and knows the players around him can improve him as a player too.

Last week I was a bit "meh" about him signing but now the more I think about this deal the happier I am. Think this could turn out to be a terrific move.

1 year contract is about right I'd say.

He certainly has the talent but his career stagnated down south for various reasons and I don't see why Del and Doc can't coax out the player from a few years back.

As for the off the field stuff, he has been punished for the assaults and should be allowed a second chance but any further indiscretions while at afc and he should be out the door.

The alleged sexual assault is more difficult to brush over but it remains alleged and he won't be facing a criminal court over it however it still makes me feel uncomfortable that afc is employing someone embroiled in this shit (civil case pending I believe) and doesn't fit well with our Family Club image.

Anyway he is here now and as long as he keeps his head down, works hard and behaves himself I suppose he gets the benefit of doubt, innocent till proven guilty etc.

Will be interesting to see how he fits into our team.

Have to say, i'm indifferent about this signing, but if it works out it could potentially be a master stroke.  As others have said, I have complete faith in DM and his team to get the best out of a player, lets hope it's not costing us much and works out for all.

Have to say, he does look miserable as fuck in that photo though!

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes reckons Pittodrie is the perfect place for David Goodwillie to rediscover his best form.

The Dons beat off competition from Kilmarnock and St Johnstone to sign the striker on a one-year contract.

Goodwillie has struggled since making a £2m switch to Blackburn in 2011, but McInnes has backed him to shine.

"He's coming into a team full of good players, and I think he'll thrive with the players we have," said McInnes.

"I'm very pleased, he's a striker of real quality, capability and is someone who, when I played with him when he was younger, I always felt he was destined to have a top career.

"It wasn't so long ago when he had that big money move and a lot was expected of him. Since then it's not quite happened for him and we're fortunate to be in a position to get him, and he's fortunate to be coming to a club like us.

"If he invests in us the way we're going to invest in him, we'll give him every opportunity to be the player he can be, and I want him to take this opportunity. He chose us over a few other options he had in Scotland, and he's made a good decision."

McInnes played beside Goodwillie, 25, when the front-man was coming through the ranks at Dundee United.

The three-times capped Scotland striker only found the net five times for Blackburn following his move, and returned to Tannadice on a six month loan deal last season, scoring six goals.

"The times we played against United last season, I was concerned when he was playing and delighted when he wasn't," added McInnes.

"Our supporters have always taken to players who work hard and represent the shirt well, and as much as we enjoy our work at Aberdeen, he's coming into a dressing room where he's going to have to work hard to get himself in the team.

"I certainly feel that after speaking to him, and it was important that I got that gut feeling, that he is a player who sees this as a real opportunity, and an important move for him.

"I met him on Friday, he said he wanted to sign immediately, he got a good feeling about coming here, his agent then stopped speaking to other clubs and before we'd even discussed what the deal would look like he'd made his mind up that he was coming here."

Goodwillie is not eligible for Aberdeen's return match against Daugava Riga in Europa League qualifying, but would be available for the next round against Groningen should the Dons convert their 5-0 lead into an aggregate win.

Sounds like he was keen to come though I'm very curious as to which party wanted the 1 year deal

Sounds like he was keen to come though I'm very curious as to which party wanted the 1 year deal

Very interested and as you say, it's not quite crystal to see who wanted the one year deal.  It does sound very positive and is the opposite of what his photo on the website shows!  Let's hope he proves the club right.

Seems he has unfulfilled promise. Aberdeen can offer the level of play Goodwillie needs to prove himself. Because he has this case looming, a short term contract seems a very logical move in the Club's favour. If it works Short Term (6 months), they can try to lock him up longer before he goes on a free. Is is a risk? Of course; but as has been pointed out, his performance has been lack lustre for a spell.

IMHO - a decent move on all sides.