The future: McInnes & sponsor

ABERDEEN FC chairman Stewart Milne today confirmed he aims to tie up Derek McInnes on a long-term deal.

Milne is desperate to keep Dons boss McInnes at Pittodrie for the long term and will enter into contract talks this month.

McInnes is out of contract at the end of next season and his stock has soared after leading Aberdeen to the League Cup final.

The Dons are also second in the Premiership and in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

Milne is keen to stave off any potential suitors by getting McInnes to pen a longer deal.

Milne said: “I’m very conscious of the reputation Derek has and how it is growing.

“We will work hard to ensure Derek stays here for a substantial period of time.

“I don’t think Derek wants to be viewed as a one-year success.

“He wants to take Aberdeen back to the top of the Scottish game and have a regular presence in Europe.

“Derek has convinced players to re-sign and make a commitment.

“Derek’s approach is the same and he has to take the lead and make the same commitment.

“We are confident he is committed.”

McInnes penned a two-year contract when he took over from the retiring Craig Brown in March last year.

Milne said: “We have big challenges in the next three or four years.

“We need to deliver top-class training facilities for Derek and a new stadium.

“I hope to announce something later in the year in terms of the training facility and a timetable when we can deliver a stadium.”

Meanwhile, reports claim the Dons have struck a three-year sponsorship deal with oil company Saltire Energy to start next season.

Saltire Energy have offices in the city.

The Saltire deal is done according to my sources