Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Shankland

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Showed a decent touch a few times but there was little service so hard to judge manc

Something we've been struggling with since Hayes was injured ( I know he returned today ).

Hopefully it's not a one off for Shankland, was a perfect game to blood him.

I'm not sure it was the right game for him. I'm glad he's worked his way into estimations, but we had to change the system and effectively sacrifice Rooney out wide to make it work. As a result, I don't think we saw the best from either man.

Shankland did show some good touches, and worked himself some space here and there. He certainly didn't look overawed or out-of-his-depth at any point, but I think (retrospectively) he'd have been better coming on later. The crowd would have got a lift, he'd have been up against weary defenders, and we might not have had to start with such a lopsided formation.

I'm not sure it was the right game for him. I'm glad he's worked his way into estimations, but we had to change the system and effectively sacrifice Rooney out wide to make it work. As a result, I don't think we saw the best from either man.

Shankland did show some good touches, and worked himself some space here and there. He certainly didn't look overawed or out-of-his-depth at any point, but I think (retrospectively) he'd have been better coming on later. The crowd would have got a lift, he'd have been up against weary defenders, and we might not have had to start with such a lopsided formation.

You're probably right, but I suppose I was seeing it from the point of view that it was a team with less to play for than us.  They're not getting relegated and we still need to tie up second place.  We shouldn't be changing the system to accommodate though, it reminds me of something once said...footballers are stupid, just stick with 4-4-2 and they'll know what they're doing.

• 2 months later...

If true you would assume we would need to be bringing in an additional player.

I think this is the kind of move he needs. A competitive league and hopefully a lot of starts. Hopefully he'll come back ready to compete for first team places, because I was far from convinced by him last season.

Definitely need another striker though, one with pace.

I always thought McManus would be more complimentary to our style of play, rather than Shankland.

He looks a strong player, but I'm not sure where the extra burst of pace is going to come from to set him apart from others. I think he is a long way off our first team if I'm honest.

Shankland can't be allowed to go anywhere without us bringing in an experienced striker either permanently or on season loan.

Don't fancy going through the season without this, as an injury to Rooney and we're fucked for back up.

• 2 weeks later...