Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Michael Hart

I wasn't going to start this topic tonight as I'm really happy with the performance of the side today and don't want to take away anything from that, but I'm bored so fuck it...

Mikey Hart is probably my favourite player of the current squad, consistently good, his heart's in it etc etc.

So, I predictably want to see him sign a new contract. I was gutted for him on Thursday, he's a player who should know better and it was a shame his mistake cost us going in at half time. But, ye know, he's Michael Hart and he'll come back a better player and he'll be as gutted as us, that's for sure, the guy plays for the jersey.

Was reading some papers over the weekend and was interesting to read JC saying "I bollocked him a half time and not surprisingly that DIDNT raise his spirits for the second half". No shit sherlock.

That, I didn't give TOO much thought to, until listening to Craig Brewster today. Setanta had a feature on Hart, went back to the studio and Brewster was asked his opinion, he said something along the lines of: "Michael Hart IS A GREAT defender, and HE has to realise that. He's too critical of himself. But, when we were playing and we'd go in at half time, I'd laugh to myself because no matter how well he had played, he was always the first person JC shouted at. But Michael should be involved with Scotland."

An interesting insight if nothing else.  I said at the start of the season I'd like Hart as our captain, and although today does not prove this correct, I still don't think it'd be a bad thing if he was given it permanently.  We're always a better side when he's playing.

Interesting, and seems slightly bizzarre man-management from JC if true.

Brewster is right of course about Scotland. Quite how Hart (and Zander for that matter) were not in the B squad while Darren Dodds and some english guys coming to the end of their careers were beggers belief.

I would hope the new Scots manager can see what we see week in week out and gives these guys a chance (although if it Souness I would just give up now)

Interesting, and seems slightly bizzarre man-management from JC if true.

Brewster is right of course about Scotland. Quite how Hart (and Zander for that matter) were not in the B squad while Darren Dodds and some english guys coming to the end of their careers were beggers belief.

I would hope the new Scots manager can see what we see week in week out and gives these guys a chance (although if it Souness I would just give up now)

I only presume that it was because Mikey can deal with a slagging and knows how to respond to it (look at his first season back at us and I'd ashamedly admit i gave him stick - possibly why i like him so much now)... but then, too much of that can not be good, especially when, as Brewster said, there were guys having 'mares, and yet it's Mikey who still gets it in the neck even though he has a blinder most weeks... not good.

Ach that's life.

If you have a good relationship with someone you can quite easily be more critical of them.  Let's not forget that JC speaks Hart up plenty in the papers and it sounds like Brewster is saying the same thing as JC in a different sort of way:

"Micheal, you're better than that!"

No. Not really to be honest. If he had the arrogant bit between his teeth, I reckon he'd be an even better player, but he's being kept down by his manager. Fucking nonsense considering how good he is.

Got to say Hart's passing, especially first half, was appalling and this allied to his pretty awful crossing is I think the reason he hasn't been fancied by the last 2 cunts in charge of Scotland.

That said, I reckon it is wholly unjustifiable that both he and Zander have been overlooked by those cunt/cunts, less so Diamond as he has really only this season recaptured and, if I'm honest, bettered his early promise.

Hart needs to expand his range of crossing (that wee floaty cross to the back post against the tradition big lumping centre-halves in the SPL, just pish) and improve his passing. Defensively (that fuck up against Atletico aside) he's nothing short of excellent.

No. Not really to be honest. If he had the arrogant bit between his teeth, I reckon he'd be an even better player, but he's being kept down by his manager. Fucking nonsense considering how good he is.

I doubt very much he's being kept down by his manager and being a cocky bastard isn't something you can learn.  Confidence is a personal trait that you're more or less born with, or grow up with, you don't suddenly become one at say 27 years of age.

JC and Brewster have both said he's over critical of himself and I'll wager no amount of coaxing or bumming up would have convinced Hart that he didn't screw up in Madrid for the first goal.

Let's not get blinkered here; Micheal Hart has pace, he's decent in the air, has quick feet for getting by a man but he offers absolutely nothing going forward.  I'd even go as far as to say Foster is twice the player Hart is once he crosses the halfway line as he's found the net on occasion and must have a few assists to his name.

That's the reason Hart doesn't get a sniff at International level because you also need your defenders to offer something up front at set pieces or on the break.  Zander offers this and there's no doubt in my mind he'll pick up caps as he matures.

If you could combine Hart's defending with Foster's attacking sense then you'd have someone picking up caps but then you'd also have a player who probably wouldn't be at the club or snapped up by the O.F.

I dont think that JC's holding him down. Thats just his management style. It's not the first time Harts done something stupid( press release last season anyone), but it was obviously forgotten by sunday. He has probably been our stand out player this season but it's a ropey decision for us dons. He stays at the current form and we keep him or does he improve and we lose to some championship team for a pittance? Should have at least been in Scot B team last season.

I dont think that JC's holding him down. Thats just his management style. It's not the first time Harts done something stupid( press release last season anyone), but it was obviously forgotten by sunday. He has probably been our stand out player this season but it's a ropey decision for us dons. He stays at the current form and we keep him or does he improve and we lose to some championship team for a pittance? Should have at least been in Scot B team last season.

Allegedly twisted by the press, rather than him saying that.

Let's not get blinkered here; Micheal Hart has pace, he's decent in the air, has quick feet for getting by a man but he offers absolutely nothing going forward.  I'd even go as far as to say Foster is twice the player Hart is once he crosses the halfway line as he's found the net on occasion and must have a few assists to his name.

That's the reason Hart doesn't get a sniff at International level because you also need your defenders to offer something up front at set pieces or on the break.  Zander offers this and there's no doubt in my mind he'll pick up caps as he matures.

If you could combine Hart's defending with Foster's attacking sense then you'd have someone picking up caps but then you'd also have a player who probably wouldn't be at the club or snapped up by the O.F.

I'd agree with all of this.

Michael Hart started off at AFC as a right-sided midfielder in a very poor Aberdeen side and didn't get a look in because he had no end product.  He has carved out a good niche for himself as a defender and a good one at that but he is nowhere near good enough to get into the Scotland side.  By his own standards, he was pretty poor on Saturday there I have to say.

Guest Shabba Ranks

But for a divorce that seemed to be on his terms & for the reason i've ehard it might not have anything to do with it!

What reason would that be?  ;)

Not if we're not going to be there come January 1st.

I personally can't see him going anywhere else.  If he was going to get picked up then it was when he was shining next to Anderson.

I just don't see what he's done this season that would have turned any heads.

Doesn't have to be this season though, does it? If people (Paul Sturrock, in this case) know what he's capable of, and also know he'll be available for next to nothing, then that may well be good enough for them.