Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The End of the High St Music Retailer

BigAl

What was the name of the music shop that used to be out George St, close to Robert Rae's and then subsequently moved into the indoor market at the corner of Union St and Market St ?

MBT, come on loon, I'm depending upon you here mate. This is really starting to fucking bug me big time ::)

Im not sure where Robert Rae's is but most of my CD collection was purchased from a wee place opposite the bowling alley. Think it was called Retro Blue and the owner was sound bloke called James. Think he was using some early collectors ebay board to get hold of rare CDs & Vinyl.

That was open about 2000-2003 but unfortunately the internet sites gradually got larger collections and got cheaper so he eventually had to close. Never found out what happened to him  :-\

Thanks Tom

Robert Rae's was on George St. Many a £ earned from my Saturday job was spent in there.

Bought my first Levi's, first Doc Martins, first Harrington jacket etc etc. At the time it was the place in Aberdeen for young lads to buy their gear.

Record shop beside it might have been called Telemech ( talking early to mid seventies)

Might be confused about it being called the same as the one at the back of the indoor market at corner of Union and Market Street. :-\

Add blockbuster to that list, though to be honest, I'm surprised they've lasted this long. The writing has been on the wall for years. Another company whose product can be purchased easily elsewhere and served its purpose.

Was also a particularly shite product for the amount of money you were paying. I stopped using them because basically every 2nd dvd I rented was scratched to fuck and never played. The reponse from the staff was the classic 'fucked if i care' and occasionally they would offer to put it through some little cleaning device which only made the scratches/gouges shiny. You never got a refund, they just kept offering it to you for anther night.

What also shafted them was the speed DVDs come out to buy now. Used to take an eternity for a film to make it to the rental market from the cinema and then it would take almost the same length of time again before you could buy it. Now it seems you can buy it on the same day it is released for rental and thats usually within 3months of its cinema relase. And at £7 for 1 night at Blockbuster (with a disc that probably wont work) as opposed to £15-20 on amazon etc to keep or part of a £5 a month love film subscription its no wonder they were fucked.

Fucking right as well.....

If they have any hope of rescue, whilst not legally bound to do so, this is the right course of action, otherwise folk will boycott

Wise move

saves the administrators having to pay removal men and rent warehouse space by having the public clear away all those michael macintyre dvds