Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Armageddon Postponed

From Jim Spence: "Dundee Utd report net profit of £1.449 million pounds. Chairman says SPL is thriving and absence of Rangers has not had huge effect on Utd. "

wow that is some profit for Utd, is that from their cup winning year or last year?  In fact must be last year, perhaps includes a few big sales

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3007392

Aberdeen vice-chairman George Yule insists the club is on a firm financial footing, despite the absence  of Rangers in the SPL this season.Hearts have been given extra time to try to find the £450,000 they owe Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs or face going out of business.

While it is panic stations at Tynecastle, Yule insists the Dons are coping well in this new dawn for Scottish football and have felt no  ill-effects from competing in the league without Rangers.

• 8 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23673421

Scotland's top football clubs are becoming more confident about their financial future, a leading consultant has claimed. Charles Barnett, of BDO, said a large proportion of Scottish Premiership clubs believed they would be profitable in the coming year.

He also said revenues had not been adversely affected by the loss of Rangers.

Five of the 12 teams in the Scottish top flight took part in the survey.

It was carried out before the Scottish Premier League was rebranded the Scottish Premiership.

The BDO report, "A new dawn for fair play", questioned the finance directors of 66 teams from leagues in Scotland and England.

It said SPL clubs were more optimistic in terms of predicting profitability than English Premier League clubs.

• 2 years later...

Been a while since we heard from this infidel:

Neil Doncaster expressed his delight at the “box office” potential of having Rangers and Celtic together in the Premiership.

The SPFL chief executive also said having the Old Firm derby back on the schedule is “massive.”

The comments were the latest in a series of positive press briefings ahead of the new season.

It marks a stark contrast for his comments after the demise of the Ibrox club in 2012.

Doncaster downplayed optimism ahead of negotiations for a new TV deal in the absence of the Old Firm.

Talk of financial ‘Armageddon’ has since proven off the mark.

If anything, the Dons have seized on the absence of the Ibrox club to finish second twice in three years.

But the SPFL chief executive is glad to have Rangers back in the top flight.

Doncaster said: “I think there’s a huge sense of anticipation and excitement looking ahead to the opening round of the Ladbrokes Premiership this weekend.

“I think there’s a lot to look forward to.

“There’s clearly the return of real box office with the likes of Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and Joey Barton at Rangers.

“So I think there will be a lot of people tuning in around the world, not just the UK.

“We’ve got over 100 countries now taking the rights to our games all around the world looking forward to the season ahead.

“It’s massive having the Old Firm derby back on the schedule. It’s the one game which perhaps defines the Ladbrokes Premiership around the world.

“You’ve also got the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts, who have run Celtic close in recent seasons.

“We’re certainly expecting a real tussle at the top this year.

“We’ve had an increase in attendances over the last year looking forward to the return of the Old Firm and I’m absolutely sure that attendances and viewer numbers this year will be huge with so much to play for.”

now whats every ones take on this happening..

1) sevco get relegated at the end of season

do we see instant league reconstruction to stop that happening or some dodgy rules to stop a team coming up.

I'm all for exploring and going beyond the boundaries and the use of theoretical questions in the pursuit thereof. However this is a step too far in the list of credible possibilities, much as my imagination would love to embrace the prospects of them finishing bottom. My imagination is certainly capable but it's just not going to happen.

The reason why they won't finish last is simple mathematics. They've got tens of thousands of baying bigots paying in their ill-gotten gains, their giros and presumably even some legally-acquired monies into the horrible institution that is sevco. It's not just the much bigger budget that they will have, it's the expectation levels of the said bigots that demands a showing that is not a complete embarrassment.

Much as I could contribute to the debate, if indeed there was any to be had regarding the total incompetence of football administration in this country, it having been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that Doncaster, Regan et al are of the worst charlatan quango types imaginable with zero redeeming features, neither personally nor professionally, I think it best to keep the powder dry for another day.

We’ve had an increase in attendances over the last year looking forward to the return of the Old Firm

Staggering suggestion. Really unbelievable. Makes us look like cunts across his 100 countries that tune in to Scottish football. Anyone reading that abroad would assume that the dons increased their season ticket holding in anticipation of rangers being promoted a year later. We can only assume that there was also an increase the previous year when rangers failed to get promoted.

Staggering suggestion. Really unbelievable. Makes us look like cunts across his 100 countries that tune in to Scottish football. Anyone reading that abroad would assume that the dons increased their season ticket holding in anticipation of rangers being promoted a year later. We can only assume that there was also an increase the previous year when rangers failed to get promoted.

Infuriating nonsense. I was thinking about possibly signing up for the Scotland Supporters Club but I cannot now. Fuck them.

From BBC

The immediate impact is clear, since clubs can expect home games to be sold out or close to sold out when Rangers are visiting.

One word- Bollocks!!!

(Extra segregation + unpleasant away fans + unpleasant non-regular home fans+ Games moved for TV) does not equal sell out or even near sell out.

I predict the only 'sell out' games featuring the travelling tribute act will be the 1-2 Doncaster Wankfests in Glasgows East End