Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Is Football Racist.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's because it was 10 it was un-punishable per their rules. Seems reasonable actually. I wouldn't want the dons receiving fines because 10 dickheads shouted some racist abuse. On the other hand, police should be able to deal with that (but they probably joined in).

Understand why the yellows weren't rescinded like, the old "two wrongs don't make a right" call that you get from the type of appeal cunts you see in most countries. Logan dealt with racism the right way as an example. He didn't walk off, he just reported it immediately. The paedo Tims abused him for it.

I'd accept that if it was an unusual incident in Italy, Rico. But it's not. Fine the cunts, it's the only way they as a country will ever try and want to get a grip on it. It is a rare occurance in Scotland, thankfully.

Aye, you could be right. I suppose clubs in this country get fined if one idiot lets off a flare or invades a pitch, so it's maybe fair enough.

It's rare for people at Scottish football to shout out racial abuse these days but the underlying parochial xenophobic racist sickness is very much alive and kicking in the North East. Darkies and Hamilton Accies are their preferred terms.

But I have a friend who's a Hamilton Accie, so I can't be racist.

The word ' racism' gets over used nowadays IMO.  Having watched football live in 23 different countries I have witnessed and heard racism in Italy, Russia but not in modern era until this issue at Ibrox recently.

Working in London I took a fair bit of baiting about being Scottish but it doesn't bother me.  Plus its not really being judged on skin colour - I saw it as banter and not a race/ethnicity issue.

The racism I encountered in Scotland was monkey chanting about Mark Walters at Pittodrie during 80's/90's.  Speaking about hundreds of people chanting when he touched the ball.  I cant say it was deep seated 'racism' but certainly it was a product of the times. 

I have not heard any 'racism' at Pittodrie since that era.

I have seen Rangers fans giving Nazi salutes recently.

Racism is a huge problem in Italy and in Russia inside the stadium every weekend.  It's possibly a product of society and more of an issue at FA level given that we here in the UK have spoken out greatly about the matter.

I don't buy the arguments that managers who are black are at a disadvantage.  That sort of institutional racism exists in certain occupations but not football.

Its generally accepted that you can't make racist comments in the UK in any place - workplaces, football stadia etc.  If you say something racist nowadays and its recorded, or noted and reported then you will appear in court and get a criminal record.

What I do find curious is the blurred lines between nationalism and race/ethnicity that seems to raise its ugly head at international football.  Some of the stuff I hear at England and Scotland games are not really acceptable things really and it's far more than banter.

I have also heard certain anthems of various national teams being booed at Hampden Park in last 5 years.  I would not call that 'racist' but it shows a lack of respect for other nations and the often diverse cultures they have e.g. 15k fans booing a Northern Ireland anthem is understandable given politics in Scotland but its not really basically acceptable is it?

At England games I have been to a few and seen hundreds of yobs singing songs with racial tones and themes.

So to answer your questions Racism is a huge issue in Italy and Russia inside the stadium.  I dont think its a big problem these days in Scotland or England.  People know its a crime.

You need to differentiate between ignorant comments people make in everyday life and comments/actions made inside stadiums.  Aberdeen is not a diverse city really (it' has a village mentality) but it's a far more open minded city in 2017 than it was in the 80's.

I would suggest race is also a problem at Rangers games purely on the basis of this 'nationalism' thing -aformentioned above.  Having said that, it was one individual doing stupid things after a Sinclair goal in a 50,000 crowd.

Is he actually 'racist' or just a thick moronic idiot? 

• 4 months later...

Just noticed this on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted Manchester United to ask them to stop the club's fans singing a "racist" chant about Romelu Lukaku.

It says the lyrics, about the size of the Belgium striker's penis, are "offensive and discriminatory".

"Racist stereotypes are never acceptable, irrespective of any intention to show support for a player," said Kick It Out.

A United blog has already asked the club's fans to refrain from the song.

"It's a cheap and insulting stereotype that has no place in this day and age," United fan Scott Patterson wrote in a post on The Republik of Mancunia.

Lukaku joined United for an initial £75m from Everton during the summer in a deal that could rise to £90m.

Kick It Out said it was "aware of footage of alleged racist chanting by supporters of Manchester United that emerged on Wednesday 13 September", Lukaku having scored in the game against Basel in the Champions League the previous evening.

"We have contacted Manchester United regarding the issue and will be working closely with them and the Football Association to ensure that it is addressed swiftly," said a Kick It Out spokesperson.

"If we receive any reports relating to the discriminatory chant, those will be passed on to the governing body and the perpetrators can expect to face punishment."

BBC Sport has contacted Manchester United for a comment on the issue.

I picked it up on twitter end of last week and it raised a snigger, it goes (for those that have not heard it):

Rom-eh-Looooooo-ooo-ooo,

Lu-kak-uuu-uu-uu,

He's our Belgian scoring genius,

With a 24 inch penis,

Scoring all his goooooals

Bell-end by his tooooes.

To the tune of Made of Stone.

Racist or not?