Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Minimum Unit Pricing (MUP)

BigAl

not picking on you directly Tyrant, but to highlight your own thread as well...

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/dailyrecord3/boozetax2.jpg

if you look at the pricing charts, only the CHEAP loss making booze is effected at all, these drinks aimed directly at the youngsters from our supermarkets are just to get bums into the shops ( where u buy other goods items. nothing else) and these are effected..

Hopefully once this is in effect people will not notice anything different at all...

what i do want the SNP to push through, is a total ban on smoking full stop

Me-Gusta-with-Text.png

not picking on you directly Tyrant, but to highlight your own thread as well...

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/dailyrecord3/boozetax2.jpg

if you look at the pricing charts, only the CHEAP loss making booze is effected at all, these drinks aimed directly at the youngsters from our supermarkets are just to get bums into the shops ( where u buy other goods items. nothing else) and these are effected..

Hopefully once this is in effect people will not notice anything different at all...

what i do want the SNP to push through, is a total ban on smoking full stop

Yes just fucking ban everything. Ban cars as well. I heard they kill people. Ban booze, ban fun. Just ban stuff and I shall be happy.

Hemmin BigAl,

What's yer understanding of how this will affect prices at cash and carries?

Will the MUP apply at wholesale level or just at end user pricing?

These type of deals are already illegal in Scotland I think

Jager, the principle of this proposed act sets out to address retail pricing rather than wholesale. The theory is that by addressing retail pricing this will eliminate the Scottish publics habitual over indulgence as far as alcohol is concerned (allegedly). In practice it actually sets out a one size fits all scatter gun approach, which as others have highlighted fails to address the issue that a large proportion of alcohol abuse is committed by those to whom money is not an issue.

An example of the impact of minimum pricing is that a case of twelve cans of Strongbow currently available for around £8 in supermarket deals will increase to over £13.

One way to avoid MUPS:

From the Sun "Asda booze bandit’s got a lot of bottle

Shopper strolls off with £2.5k haul in ‘pay later’ deal"

"The bizarre incident at the Bridge of Dee store in Aberdeen, on May 11, was only reported to police yesterday — hours after Scottish Sun reporters contacted Asda HQ for a comment. Grampian Police confirmed they were investigating a four-figure theft.

A source at the 24-hour superstore said: “The guy walked up to customer services and said he’d already spoken to the manager about a deal to return with booze that hadn’t been used and that’s when he would know exactly what to pay.

“Unbelievably everyone took his word for it and even worse is the fact staff were summoned to load the booze into trolleys and help take it out to the car park.

“The checkout staff were even told to over-ride tills as it was such a huge amount. Unsurprisingly he hasn’t been seen again. To say it’s been the talk of the store is an understatement. No one can believe the guy was able to walk out with thousands of pounds worth of alcohol and no one batted an eyelid.”