Miguel Hamutenya - on trial

Miguel%20Hamutenya.jpg

NAMIBIAN full-back Miguel Hamutenya will have to wait until next season for a move to Ibrox after red tape dashed his hopes of playing for them during this campaign.

The player’s international clearance hasn’t come through from the Namibian FA and has now joined Maltese First Division side Luxol St Andrews on a short-term deal until May while that issue is resolved.

The player’s agent, Jonathan Hope, said: “I am working in collaboration with Rangers and Luxol St Andrews to ensure the right outcome for Miguel.

“For some reason we could not obtain a work visa in Glasgow and this baffles me as I have now been assured by the NFA that he qualifies.”

Namibian defender Miguel Hamutenya is set to spend two weeks on trial with Aberdeen.

The 19-year-old had agreed to sign for Rangers in December but the move was called off, with the Glasgow club believing they would be unable to obtain a work permit.

Hamutenya subsequently signed a short-term deal with Maltese side Luxol St Andrews but is heading back to Scotland, after it was established he would stand a strong chance of obtaining an endorsement from the Scottish FA.

"I have brought Miguel back to the UK after exercising a release clause from his club in Malta," Hamutenya's agent, Jonathan Hope, told STV.

"Miguel had a successful trial at Rangers and signed a work permit, subject to a work permit.

"Rangers then said there was no way he would obtain a work permit, which baffled me as he has played over 75% of games with Namibia.

"The Namibian FA have confirmed that he is eligible for a UK work permit. In return, I have decided the only place for him to receive the best coaching and care is with Craig Brown.

"Miguel is extremely happy to be going to work with the best coaches and staff. He will be a player in a few year and Aberdeen will benefit.

"Gordon Smith [Rangers' former director of football] did all he could for Miguel but it seems his hands were tied. I thank him for his efforts."

The left-back spent two years as part of an academy programme operated by Bolton Wanderers, before joining Israeli side Bnei Sakhnin in September.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/299352-miguel-hamutenya-to-trial-with-aberdeen/

Namibian defender Miguel Hamutenya is set to spend two weeks on trial with Aberdeen.

The 19-year-old had agreed to sign for Rangers in December but the move was called off, with the Glasgow club believing they would be unable to pay him any wages.

Hamutenya subsequently signed a short-term deal with Maltese side Luxol St Andrews but is heading back to Scotland, after it was established he would stand a strong chance of obtaining an endorsement from the Scottish FA.

"I have brought Miguel back to the UK after exercising a release clause from his club in Malta," Hamutenya's agent, Jonathan Hope, told STV.

"Miguel had a successful trial at Rangers and signed a work permit, subject to a work permit.

"Rangers then said there was no way he would obtain a work permit, which baffled me at the time as he has played over 75% of games with Namibia but of course the real reason is very obvious now.

"The Namibian FA have confirmed that he is eligible for a UK work permit. In return, I have decided the only place for him to receive the best coaching and care is with Craig Brown.

"Miguel is extremely happy to be going to work with the best coaches and staff. He will be a player in a few year and Aberdeen will benefit.

"Gordon Smith [Rangers' former director of football] did all he could for Miguel but it seems his hands were tied. I thank him for his efforts."

The left-back spent two years as part of an academy programme operated by Bolton Wanderers, before joining Israeli side Bnei Sakhnin in September.

Corrected for accuracy

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/299556-namibian-defender-disappointed-by-collapse-of-rangers-and-aberdeen-moves/

SportFootballSPL

Aberdeen Feed

Namibian defender disappointed by collapse of Rangers and Aberdeen moves

Miguel Hamutenya says he wanted the chance to prove he could play in the SPL.

02 March 2012 13:20 GMT

Comment

Namibian defender Miguel Hamutenya has spoken of his disappointment following the collapse of his trial with Aberdeen.

Hamutenya was set to head to Pittodrie for a short trial spell but the move was aborted after Craig Brown told the media there was little prospect of the player being offered any deal.

The news was the second disappointment for the 19-year-old after a proposed move to Rangers collapsed last year.

Hamutenya had agreed to sign for the Ibrox club in December but the move was called off, with Rangers believing they would be unable to obtain a work permit.

The player subsequently signed a short-term deal with Maltese side Luxol St Andrews but headed back to Scotland, after it was established he would stand a strong chance of obtaining an endorsement from the Scottish FA.

“According to Rangers, they said that it wouldn’t be possible for me to get a work permit because I am a Namibian citizen,” the defender said.

“What happened was that [my agent] Jonathan Hope spoke to the Namibian Football Association and found out that it was possible for me to get this work permit, which would have made everything easy.

“I’m obviously very disappointed. I would love to play for a club like that but there’s nothing I can do about it really.”

“I was then told that I was going to go up for trials with Aberdeen. My agent spoke to Craig Brown and he made it clear that it was unlikely that I would sign for them.

“It’s obviously disappointing because I would like to have shown that I could play for a club like Aberdeen and I’m not getting that opportunity after all.”

Aberdeen manager Brown has suggested that he had spoken to contacts at Rangers before forming an opinion on the likely success of any trial. Hamutenya said that he was unhappy with the idea that anyone at Rangers had given a poor report on him after having been keen to sign him initially.

“I am very disappointed that there was some sort of side talk from Rangers to Aberdeen telling them that I shouldn’t get a contract,” he said.

“I’ve learned from this. Learned who to speak to and who to trust. It’s just the beginning for me.“