Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

JC Staying Put

Calderwood turns back on Leicester

Tue 04 Sep, 09:45 AM (Teamtalk.com)

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood says he has no intention of quitting the Dons for managerless Championship outfit Leicester.Calderwood and his assistant Jimmy Nicholl have been linked with a move south after Leicester parted company with Martin Allen.

However, the former Dunfermline boss told fans of the Pittodrie club he would still be in charge for the UEFA Cup clash with Ukranian outfit Dnipro at the end of the month, but admitted he would need assurances from the board over the long-term direction of the club.

Calderwood told the Daily Record: "Jimmy Nicholl and I love this club and fully expect to be here when we return to Europe and beyond.

"You can never be certain about what is around the corner but we're happy in our jobs and not planning to leave in a hurry.

"This sort of speculation goes on in football all the time. Of course, it's flattering but that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

"However, we need to know how far we can go. To keep moving forward, it is vital that we keep players like Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson and Chris Clark.

"We must find out if the finances are in place to keep our best players and build on what has been achieved so far.

"I just need to know what the ambitions of the directors are and Willie Miller (director of football) is aware of this."

Eurosport-

Championship - Calderwood to reject Leicester

Eurosport - Tue, 04 Sep 14:49:00 2007

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood has denied reports that he is set to take over at Leicester City.

"[Assistant] Jimmy Nicholl and I love this club and fully expect to be here when we return to Europe and beyond," Calderwood told the Daily Record. "You can never be certain about what is around the corner but we're happy in our jobs and not planning to leave in a hurry.

"This sort of speculation goes on in football all the time. Of course, it's flattering but that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned."

"I just need to know what the ambitions of the directors are and Willie Miller [director of football] is aware of this."

Leicester have been without a manager since the shock sacking of Martin Allen after only three league matches this season. Allen had spent freely on new players but was released after a row with owner Milan Mandaric (pictured) over the future progress of the club.

Reda Maher / Eurosport

Should the story not be:

"Jimmy Calderwood was never on the shortlist for the Leicester job, infact the Foxes had no idea who he was until he sent them his CV via email, fax, recorded delivery and postal pigeon. Jimmy Calderwood commented,

"I'm pure gallus byraway and am so more tactically advanced than pretty much every coach in this country. This is down to my Dutch experience and my contacts in Holland are unsurpassed.  Clearly I am wasted at a piddling little club like Aberdeen but will stick about until the right offer comes along....maybe Watford or Preston.  Leicester don't know what they are missing, although they should as I've barely been off the phone to them in 2 weeks and my agent has been camped out side the Walkers Stadium since Thursday."

Interestingly enough, any time i see something linking JC with Leicester (or otherwise), it's been in the Daily Record, or the source quoted is the Daily Record. Now, does he still write a weekly column for them? Strange that they have all this "information". Personally, i think it was all smoke and mirrors designed to howk up his market value come contract review time.

Interestingly enough, any time i see something linking JC with Leicester (or otherwise), it's been in the Daily Record, or the source quoted is the Daily Record. Now, does he still write a weekly column for them? Strange that they have all this "information". Personally, i think it was all smoke and mirrors designed to howk up his market value come contract review time.

Posturing with a chapter from the John Viola "Get you man a better contract" book eh?