McGhee vows to carry on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/8115024/McGhee-vows-to-carry-on.html

McGhee vows to carry on

Mark McGhee vowed to carry on as Aberdeen boss in the wake of the 9-0 thrashing by Celtic at Parkhead - the biggest defeat in the Pittodrie club's history.

By PA

Published: 6:59PM GMT 06 Nov 2010

In a remarkable first half Dons' skipper Paul Hartley and Hoops defender Thomas Rogne were sent packing by referee Alan Muir as the home side romped to a 4-0 lead with doubles from Gary Hooper and Anthony Stokes, the Irishman netting two penalties.

Both Celtic strikers completed their hat-tricks after the break as a strike from Joe Ledley, an own goal by Pittodrie substitute Josh Magennis and a late penalty from Parkhead substitute Paddy McCourt left the Dons also on the wrong end of the SPL's record scoreline.

However, McGhee, who is in his second season in charge of the club where he was a hero as a player, said: "I want to be the manager of Aberdeen Football Club. I have a little group of players here that can do okay.

"It went horribly wrong but it doesn't change my opinion of that and as long as I'm the manager I will go out for the next game and then the next game until someone tells me different."

How???? How can he carry on after this and the sh*t run of results he has had.  This is one of the most embarrassing days ever for AFC.  His record is worse than Steve Paterson's.  The way he handle's himself at interviews and the way he publicly bad mouths his players is terrible.  Miller is also a part in this an needs to go, as does Milne (although I can't ever see that happening).  Surely McGhee must be saying to himself that he has to go.  With his rolling contract, does that mean he has a year from any point that AFC decide to sack him?  i.e. if they decide to sack him tomorrow, are we due him a years wages from that point?

Have read some pretty unnecessary personal insults against McGhee elsewhere.

No need to to resort to that level.

Will always remember McGhee for his contribution to our club's proud past, but please please do the decent thing and clear your desk and walk away now.

Way past your sell by date Mark

I don't understand why he would even contemplate carrying on - surely he must resign today - he does not deserve to walk away with a single penny  >:D

He has to realise his position is untenable, he knows the reality of the financial situation of the club, so he must know that by refusing to walk now he is pushing us further towards the brink. That will do more to tarnish his status at this club and with the Fans than Aberdeen 1 v Sigma 5 or Celtic 9 v Aberdeen 0 has done or could ever do.

Aberdeen is fast becoming a managers graveyard. Alex Miller has done nothing of note managerial wise since his departure. Ebbe had a short unsuccessful stint with a small Copenhagen based club post Dons before ultimately retiring. Patterson is only now making a comeback at Huntly. Calderwood. Where does McGhee go next? What does it say about Milne's judgement? I don't think anybody could have predicted this would happen to McGhee. Terrible state of affairs.

Who next for the Dons?

He has to go. He has proved himself pretty clueless with a lot of his decisions. Most recently yesterday. He started out 451, which is fair enough but with an out and out striker wide left. Then there's the velicka foster deal which left us with no recognised full backs. He chops and changes his defence and keeper with amazing regularity. To me that's something that should be done pre-season and not during the season. Both seasons he has been here he has started with 433 which clearly didnt work. He stubbornly stuck with it until even he saw (or was told) it didnt work. Most of us were pretty excited when he came in and I have been right behind him until recently. It wasn't just yesterday it's been a gradual change. I dont understand how he can stay.

Have read some pretty unnecessary personal insults against McGhee elsewhere.

No need to to resort to that level.

Will always remember McGhee for his contribution to our club's proud past, but please please do the decent thing and clear your desk and walk away now.

Way past your sell by date Mark

Agree on all points there Al. Never like to see it coming down to a personal level... unless that person is Alex Miller in which case, shootie in...  ;)

He can stay because he knows we probably can't afford to sack him, and there's fuck all in the way of alternatives.

I didn't want him before the 2J's got the job, I didn't want him this time (even before he swithered and waited to see if he'd get a job in Glasgow( maybe he has?)) and although I'd support MY team through thick and thin, something has to give now, and it's him!

GO!