Willie Miller: Semi final should be at hampden

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1983251

Aberdeen will urge the Scottish Football League to hold their League Cup semi-final at Hampden Park regardless of their opponents in the last four.

Willie Miller will travel to Glasgow for the draw tomorrow and the Dons director of football will put forward a strong case to return to the national stadium for the semis in the new year.

The ties have been held in midweek in the past but this season’s encounters will now take place on the weekend of January 29 and 30.

Matches not involving the Old Firm tend to be staged elsewhere, with Easter Road, and Tynecastle likely alternatives, but Miller believes a weekend fixture will see the Red Army mobilise in huge numbers.

Miller said: “I am a traditionalist and I believe the semi-finals should be held at Hampden.

“I can understand the reasons for moving it to another ground, especially if it is in midweek and the Old Firm are not involved.

“It makes sense logistically and it can also help the atmosphere.

“But with the fixtures now taking place at the weekend, I do not know if there will be a ground big enough to accommodate the demand. I understand these are difficult times and it is not easy to entice supporters to matches.

“But the opportunity to go to a semi-final does not happen too often and I would expect a sizeable support.

“There will be a lot of internal discussions to be held once the draw is made but we will be pushing to have the tie held at the national stadium.”

Miller believes the opportunity to perform at Hampden Park would be the ultimate platform for Aberdeen’s exciting batch of youngsters.

Clark Robertson excelled having been thrust in at the deep end against Falkirk just a month after his 17th birthday while 18-year-old Ryan Jack was another star turn in midfield.

Miller said: “The opportunity to play at Hampden is huge for these youngsters.

“I had the pleasure of playing there on numerous occasions and the experience is fantastic in terms of development as a player.

“These are players who are used to playing at the Blairgownie playing fields for the under 19s, so to walk out at the national stadium at such a young age would be invaluable.

“Hopefully they can go back there for the final.

I would say at the weekend we could be taking at least 12,000 fans for this, so I agree.

Considering there is a good chance we will get one of the infirm we would only get half the tickets

Tannadice - 14,209 = 7104

Tynecastle - 17,420 = 8710

Easter Road - 20,250 = 10125

Easter Road would have to be the choice going on capacity, but can you imagine Us and Rangers/Celtic in Leith? Lothian and Borders police would not allow that to happen in a million years!

Considering there is a good chance we will get one of the infirm we would only get half the tickets

Easter Road would have to be the choice going on capacity, but can you imagine Us and Rangers/Celtic in Leith? Lothian and Borders police would not allow that to happen in a million years!

I'm thinking more if we draw M'well. That tie at Hampden would be murder.

Would actually think Aberdeen and Motherwell in Leith would bother them more. Motherwell and Hibs have had a running fued for years now. Always loads of trouble on Easter Road when they play here.

Would actually think Aberdeen and Motherwell in Leith would bother them more. Motherwell and Hibs have had a running fued for years now. Always loads of trouble on Easter Road when they play here.

Prematch drink at yours?  :thumbsup:

If it was Motherwell, Tynecastle may be a sensible suggestion - but the time you divvy up the Stands - Give Motherwell the Roseburn and Main stands and us the bigger capacity of the Gorgie and Wheatfield that would give us around 10,000 tickets and I cant see that being enough. On the other hand for positives it would provide a cracking atmosphere and another ticket panic.

Prematch drink at yours?  :thumbsup:

If it was Motherwell, Tynecastle may be a sensible suggestion - but the time you divvy up the Stands - Give Motherwell the Roseburn and Main stands and us the bigger capacity of the Gorgie and Wheatfield that would give us around 10,000 tickets and I cant see that being enough. On the other hand for positives it would provide a cracking atmosphere and another ticket panic.

Would work well if we were in home end.

What tradition says that semi-finals should be at Hampden?

I'm sure "tradition" would have semi-finals at any ground other than hampden.

If we get Motherwell I'd much rather have a sold out Tannadice, Easter Road or Tyncastle than a half empty Hampden.

Equally if we get the OF I hope folk turn up for the semi, as given how far ahead they seem to be of everyone it could be seen as a bit of a walkover.

Anyway glad to see they are to be held at the weekend.

Would we eve get Half the tickets for an infirm game?

Either of the gruesome twoesome (can you see them being drawn together?) and it will be at Hampden!

I believe after the fuss we kicked up in 2000 all clubs are entitled 50% of the allocation.

However it is up to the club whether they ask for that amount. Old firm will always get their 26000 from the off but I believe other clubs start off by requesting say 14000 and seeing what the uptake is. They then have until a certain day to ask for the remaining allocation before they are offered to the muppets

If we draw one of the ugly sisters can we not use murrayfield instead?

That would mean us losing money, as we'd have to pay for Murrayfield I'd imagine.

Draw Celtic and we demand the game be played at Ibrox more neutral given that celtic have played at hampden more often that us

Great! let's take it to a ground where we've not won for nigh on 20 years!