Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

x

The record are having a field day today:

Wealthy football fans from Aberdeen have been chartering a plane to follow Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United. (Daily Record)

Aberdeen striker Darren Mackie has admitted he doesn not read books - after being chosen as a "reading champion" by his local school. (Daily Record)

nice and quick on the uptake  :wave:

This is getting ridiculous.  Radio Scotland's morning phone-in "Call Kaye" had a section on Darren Mackie's lack of reading ability

Just seen this on mad - its gone international

http://www.sofoot.com/mackie-champion-de-lecture-sans-lire-149620.html

img-mackie-champion-de-lecture-sans-lire-1320751306_x461_articles-149620.jpg

Mackie, champion de lecture sans lire

Décidément, les footeux et et livres, ça fait deux, voire plus.

Exception faite pour quelques joueurs comme Joey Barton qui lit depuis deux mois l’autobiographie de son entraîneur version "J’aime lire" - 50 pages, 40 images, du texte en taille 72 - les bouquins n’ont pas trop la cote dans la vie des footballeurs. Même pour Darren Mackie, joueur d’Aberdeen.

Et pourtant l’Ecossais a tout de même été nommé « Reading champion » de l’école primaire de Meldrum, prix auquel postulaient aussi quelques professeurs: « Je ne lis pas de livre mais plein de magasines de voitures, de santé et revues d’intérêts généraux. J’adore tout ce qui est nouveau. Si je lisais des livres, ce ne seraient que des autobiographies, car j’aime savoir ce qui se passe dans la vie des gens. »

Darren Mackie serait-il un génie ? C’est possible, car son auteur préféré a écrit des romans qu’il n’a jamais lu : « Même si je ne l’ai jamais lu, mon livre préféré reste le Seigneur des Anneaux. Les ouvrages doivent être bons puisque les films sont géniaux. Et J.R.R Tolkien est mon auteur préféré pour les mêmes raisons. »

Mais le meilleur reste pour la fin, avec cette question: « Pourquoi êtes-vous un champion de la lecture? », le joueur d’Aberdeen répond : « Parce que j’adore le fait d’apprendre des choses quand je lis. »

Vu la quantité de livres qu’il avale, il doit pas avoir appris grand chose...

or for us who don't speak French (via google translate)

Mackie, a champion of reading without reading

Certainly, the soccer players and books, that makes two or more.

Except for a few players like Joey Barton for two months that reads the autobiography of his trainer version of "I love to read" - 50 pages, 40 images, text, size 72 - the books are not too out of favor in the lives of footballers. Even Darren Mackie, Aberdeen player.

Yet the Scot has still been called "Reading Champion" Meldrum Primary School, postulated as the price at which some teachers: "I ??do not read the book but full of car magazines, health and Journals general interests. I love everything that is new. If I read books, it would only be autobiographies because I know what's going on in people's lives. "

Darren Mackie is he a genius? This is possible because his favorite author has written novels that he never read: "Even though I've never read my favorite book is Lord of the Rings. The works must be good since the films are great. And JRR Tolkien is my favorite author for the same reasons. "

But the best is yet to finish with this question: "Why are you a champion of reading? "The Aberdeen player said," Because I love the fact learn things when I read. "

Given the amount of books he eats, he must not have learned much ...

Another classic example of peoples desires to be-little others to cover their own insecurities

The issue here is not that a professional footballer isnt an intellectual but that the school saw fit to invite him in as a positive role model to encourage children to read more. Had they brought him in to encourage them how to run around alot or show them how to earn between 50-200k a year for the best part of a decade without being very good at their job then fine but when you think of intelligence does anyone here automatically think of a professional footballer?

My old school managed to get Michael Morpurgo to visit them.

The journos can say what they want (the standard of literacy in the media is getting worse by the way) but put them up against mackie on a football pitch and he would humiliate them.

• 4 months later...

Not sure where to put this, makes you want to cry really:

SPLstats

QUIZ ANSWER: The most one-sided fixture since the start of the SPL has been Celtic v Aberdeen. Celtic have picked up 125 points v the Dons.

SPLstats

FOLLOW-UP QUIZ ANSWER: The most one-sided non-OF fixture is Hearts v Aberdeen. Hearts have picked up 90 points v the Dons.