Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New Striker? - Scott Vernon signs

We're supposedly close to sealing a deal for an experienced striker.

"He probably won't be with us in time to play at Tamworth on Saturday but we hope to make a positive announcement on that front after the weekend. I dont want to say anymore at this stage as it might alert other clubs".

I have a feeling it could be Chris Killen.

Wouldn't necessarily be that disappointed if it were to be Killen.

Thought he wasn't really given a fair crack of the whip at the Tattie Bowl.

Jon Macken is a name that seems to have been getting bandied about a fair bit as well.

As long as its not Keigan Parker

Jon Macken is a name that seems to have been getting bandied about a fair bit as well.

It's definitely not Keigan Parker - he signed for Mansfield two days ago.

Macken or Killen would be great signings for us. Macken in particualr - but I'm pretty sure he would get a game somewhere in the Championship/League 1.

He's signed for Mansfield already. Just more AFC-hat shite.

I would be happy with Killen but am thinking his wages might be a sticking point.

It's Jon Macken.

I know a Barnsley lad and he's just sent me this about Macken:

No not really mark robins took over middle of last year contracts were up so he has had a clear out and is bringing in his own players. Hes had a good 4 seasons with us like i said he does a lot of work a good thinker and reader of the game but unfortunately he doesnt hit the onion bag enough. Be amazed if he moves up scotland he still lives in preston as he has done for years big move to up sticks so late in his career but you never know. Good luck for the new season anyway mate

Macken has always lived off the fact he scored that winner for Manchester City in the amazing FA Cup replay at White Hart Lane when The Blue Moon were 3-0 behind and a man down before Slyvain Distin, Paul Bosvelt, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jonno rewrote the history books.  Match of which I speak must be at least a decade ago now.   

I would have thought his prolific few seasons at PNE alongside that other Man U reject David Healy would be Macken's main claim to fame. It would have been what got him his move to City, with Keegan signing the higher scoring Macken rather than the far more talented Healy, then working out that Macken needed Healy to put the chances on a plate for him.

I remember I was in The White Swan watching that City game with a fellow Blues fan who was working in the town at the same time and staying in the pub.  Name was Ray and he had a mate from Leeds called Pete.  Prefered fishing and hated football with a passion.   

However I think come the end of the night he`d become a closet Eastlands supporter! 

Simply because one couldn`t pronounce his name properly as the tide was starting to turn and things were beginning to get exciting I always recall Pete saying whenever Sun Jihai touched the ball;

"Come on China!"

Went from totally taking the mickey out of the guy to absolutely loving the right back all within 90 minutes!

Actually nearly knocked myself cold when Macken netted the winner as I jumped over the table I was sat at and banged my head off the ceiling.  Let`s just say the pain wasn`t felt til later that night!     

I remember I was in The White Swan watching that City game with a fellow Blues fan who was working in the town at the same time and staying in the pub.  Name was Ray and he had a mate from Leeds called Pete.  Prefered fishing and hated football with a passion.   

However I think come the end of the night he`d become a closet Eastlands supporter! 

Simply because one couldn`t pronounce his name properly as the tide was starting to turn and things were beginning to get exciting I always recall Pete saying whenever Sun Jihai touched the ball;

"Come on China!"

Went from totally taking the mickey out of the guy to absolutely loving the right back all within 90 minutes!

Actually nearly knocked myself cold when Macken netted the winner as I jumped over the table I was sat at and banged my head off the ceiling.  Let`s just say the pain wasn`t felt til later that night!   

RACIST!!!

Aberdeen have completed the signing of English striker Scott Vernon, who becomes Mark McGhee's fifth summer capture after Rory McArdle, Josh McGennis, Mark Howard and Folly.

The 26 year old, who was with Colchester United last season, completed a medical at Loughborough late last night and will go straight into the squad for Tuesday evening's match against Part Vale.

Vernon began his career at Oldham Athletic and has also played for Blackpool as well as loan spells at Northampton, Gillingham and Southend.

How pleased are you to have completed a move to Aberdeen?

"I am obviously really happy at the moment. Signed the contract so now I am just really looking forward to get in there and start training with the lads and getting started now.

What do you know about the club and Scottish Football in general Scott?

"Not too much to be honest with you. I have obviously made a few phone calls before making the decision. It was obviously a big decision to be made before me and my wife made the move up. I have managed to speak to a couple of boys that have played in Scotland before but I have never had the experience yet but I have only got good vibes back from them. We were speaking to the manager last week and he is the reason that I'm here.

Do you thing you can help the younger players in the squad?

"It will probably be one of the first times in my career where I will be one of the older players. It will be a challenge that I am looking forward to. Anything I can pass on I will do to help others.

Have you set yourself any targets?

"I just want to play as many games as I can and score as many goals as I can and obviously help the team.

What can the Dons fans expect from you?

"I like to get a hold of the ball and link play up, obviously with the midfielders supporting. I like to get in the box and get on the end of crosses as much as I can and I feel like if I get the chance I can stick the ball in the back of the net.

What are your thoughts about the game tomorrow night?

"I just want to get straight in there really. Given the chance I will gladly play tomorrow night at Port-Vale and get a little run out.

What are your initial impressions on the manager?

"I've spoke to one or two lads that have played under him before and they've had good things to say about him so that is another factor. He has spoke well to me and obviously told us the plans for the coming season and I liked the sound of it and that is why I am here.

Have you had a chance to meet any of the lads yet?

"Yes I met a few of them last night. They were all sat up last night when I came and did my medical and I sat and had a bit of chat with them and yes they seemed like good guys. Obviously not met them all yet but I am sure I will today.

How quick did the move happen for you?

"Obviously the agent spoke to the manager and it was done pretty quickly. I had a couple of days to think about it to make the right decision and that is what I have done.

Set any targets for the club this season?

"Obviously European football would be another attraction and obviously that is what we are trying to do and the manger has stressed that we need to finish in that top 6 to give ourselves the best chance. So that is the aims for the season I think.

"We will try and win every game and obviously a trophy would be brilliant."