Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Rory McArdle

MARK McGHEE has started his rebuilding at Aberdeen by signing Rochdale defender Rory McArdle under freedom of contract.

The Dons boss hopes to recruit at least eight new faces, with the 23-year-old seen as the ideal replacement for Charlie Mulgrew.

Ex-Sheffield Wednesday ace McArdle can play anywhere across the back four and was a target for clubs north and south of the border.

His form has earned him a call-up for Northern Ireland's trip to the USA and Chile this month.

A Rochdale insider said: "We couldn't compete with Aberdeen when it came to wages."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2978529/McArdle-moves-a-Don-deal.html#ixzz0oMWdboXU

saying he has signed but not seen it anywhere else

Not quite a League 1 side  - they've just been promoted & the fact that they're getting rid of a defender probably means that they reckon he wont cut the mustard in league 1.... Having  said that he has played in about half of they're matches this season.  Went on loan to sheff wed in 06/07 and didn't get a game for them (that must have been in the championship?).  This could go either way. Have never seen any L2 football, but have seen plenty lower League 1 stuff (carlisle & hartlepool) and the standard is terrible...

Position  Team  P  GD  PTS

Full League Two table

1 Notts County 46 65 93

2 Bournemouth 46 17 83

3 Rochdale         46 34 82

4 Morecambe 46 9 73

Aberdeen FC move in to sign McArdle

Rochdale defender looks set to join Pittodrie

Published: 19/05/2010

ABERDEEN FC were today closing in on the signing of Rochdale defender Rory McArdle.

But Rochdale boss Keith Hill claimed Aberdeen FC could yet have to pay compensation to land the player.

The 23-year-old’s contract at Spotland expires on June 30 and Hill is resigned to McArdle leaving.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1743557#ixzz0oMxVmOQq

Not quite a League 1 side  - they've just been promoted & the fact that they're getting rid of a defender probably means that they reckon he wont cut the mustard in league 1.... Having  said that he has played in about half of they're matches this season.  Went on loan to sheff wed in 06/07 and didn't get a game for them (that must have been in the championship?).  This could go either way. Have never seen any L2 football, but have seen plenty lower League 1 stuff (carlisle & hartlepool) and the standard is terrible...

Something isn't adding up as the same article says his current form has got him an international call up!

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10441~32097,00.html

Only going off this - he is a former NI U21 player. No idea about the current NI senior squad.

He has been called up for Northern Irish squad to play Chile at the end of the month. Rochdale fans seem to think he is at best a back up for them and are suprised that he is getting a move to SPL club.

He has been called up for Northern Irish squad to play Chile at the end of the month. Rochdale fans seem to think he is at best a back up for them and are suprised that he is getting a move to SPL club.

Not on the sites that i have looked at, most are saying that he was considered a solid partner for their other centre back!

Guess the proof will be when he actually plays for us! Can he be any worse than ifil, foster and mulgrew were? Doubt it!

Not on the sites that i have looked at, most are saying that he was considered a solid partner for their other centre back!

Guess the proof will be when he actually plays for us! Can he be any worse than ifil, foster and mulgrew were? Doubt it!

Worryingly Ifil played in the league above this lad.

Last player we signed from this level was Tommy Wright.

As you said though will just have to wait to see how he looks when he plays for us.

There are definately decent players to be had from L2 and like I said in a previous thread where we were discussing keepers. The dale defence seemed pretty composed and solid when they came to our place but that was a fair whole ago and I can't remember if this guy played. Having said that I always thought Ifil looked solid when I saw him.

It must be just me who doesn;t think Ifil is anywhere near as bad as is being made out.  ::)

I think the same. Diamond and Considine would be my first choice CB pairing but I dont mind if Ifil plays to fill in for one of them

Nope, he's actually worse than is being made out!

That's possibly the most accurate thing you've ever said!  ;)

I can't remember the last time I saw a "defender" that has such a poor grasp of actual defending, looked like he couldn't even get to grips with the most basic of defensive techniques.

How we managed to build such a decent defensive record at the start of the season is truly beyond me, he looked like an accident waiting to happen in every single game I saw him in!

That's possibly the most accurate thing you've ever said!  ;)

No, I think it was pre-season Holland when I said "we're in trouble" when brustanesheep was asking the Dutch pimps with the machette if they had a fat quine on their books.

It must be just me who doesn;t think Ifil is anywhere near as bad as is being made out.  ::)

I agree 100%

Confidence was his problem. He started off quite solid at the back. Couldn't pass but couldn't BE passed.

I'm not saying he's Aldair but at the start of the season I think he saved us a few goals which over all proved valuable He certainly wasn't at fault for as many goals as others.

As for this McArdle bloke. 23 year old on the verge of the NI team sounds fine to me. Even if it doesn't work out we should be able to get a fee from him.

If it wasn't for the experience of last summer I'd allow myself to be (mildly) optimistic about this one.

No, I think it was pre-season Holland when I said "we're in trouble" when brustanesheep was asking the Dutch pimps with the machette if they had a fat quine on their books.

That remains both the funniest and scariest moment of my life!

I agree 100%

Confidence was his problem. He started off quite solid at the back. Couldn't pass but couldn't BE passed.

I'm not saying he's Aldair but at the start of the season I think he saved us a few goals which over all proved valuable He certainly wasn't at fault for as many goals as others.

We must have been watching a totally different player then, because the one I saw looked to be almost completely devoid of technical ability, lacking in positional sense and totally unequipped to deal with strikers who had even a bit of ability.  And I've honestly never seen a central defender who lets the ball bounce infront of him instead of heading it in my entire life!

I've not been so disappointed with a signing in a long time after having high hopes for him going into the season.

As for this McArdle bloke. 23 year old on the verge of the NI team sounds fine to me. Even if it doesn't work out we should be able to get a fee from him.

If it wasn't for the experience of last summer I'd allow myself to be (mildly) optimistic about this one.

The fact he's a young player on the fringes of the NI team is a plus, here's hoping he comes in and does a good job, although I'd be lying to say I was optimistic...

I do think what you're saying describe's Ifil in the 2nd half of the season but generally I think he was an assent until the 1st game away at st mirren (excluding the gash performance at the tattiedome). He never had the passing ability but his tackling was better than the rest and his heading wasn't worse than the rest. I think he just suffered a loss of form from confidence and also an unfair reputation of supposed failure - you're Mcghee's new guy SAVE US YA CUNT OR WE'LL FUCK YOU UP

I do think what you're saying describe's Ifil in the 2nd half of the season but generally I think he was an assent until the 1st game away at st mirren (excluding the gash performance at the tattiedome). He never had the passing ability but his tackling was better than the rest and his heading wasn't worse than the rest. I think he just suffered a loss of form from confidence and also an unfair reputation of supposed failure - you're Mcghee's new guy SAVE US YA CUNT OR WE'LL FUCK YOU UP

I'd disagree that it only described his 2nd half of the season.  He always looked devoid of technical ability and I honestly feel that our run of clean sheets masked the bombscare performances.

I know he's had a bad season but considering foster, probably our best player this season, has been our bomb scare for the last 5 or 6 years, I'd be happy to keep Ifil and give him a chance. He can tackle and can be a rock which can't be said of anyone else in the team.

If his passing can't be improved this season then he goes. Hopefully Considine and Diamond will both be fit, McArdle will be decent and so it's not a risk to give the guy a chance. I doubt even Russell anderson would have looked good in the team this season or last. We need a midfield that can protect the defence because, let's face it, spl standard centre backs are not going to be good enough to get by without that protection.

Ifil's one of these guys who does ok if he does the simple things well like win headers and clear his lines. Unfortunately, that type of player is fine to have in your team if you're a St Mirren or Kilmarnock. We have to be aiming for better than that. No point in hoofing the ball up the pitch if it comes straight back again.

I would say Lee Mair is a better central defender and was probably on about a third of the wage Ifil is on.