Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Should he stay or go?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to go. He's had a summer and a January transfer window to get players. He's had a whole season at us, with a pre-season too. What's he succeeded in doing? Losing to EVERY SPL club without exception, losing to two First Division sides in the cups, humiliated in Europe to the detriment of the country's co-efficiency ... and offered the squad who has done all this shit a lifeline by saying "they could all stay til next season if they show a bit of determination".

I'm sorry, but if he cannot grow the balls to wipe out that abysmal squad that has brought us closer to relegation than any other manager (Ebbe doesn't count as NO team could be relegated that year) then he needs to go. What makes you think this squad is gonna be any better next term, Mark?

If we can avoid relegation, see what signings/departures are made in the summer and then give him appropriate time next season. If results/performances haven't picked up then it's a cheerio Mark and if they have, then long may it continue.

c'mon reekie!

we all know this is just a 'transitional season' and in the summer, when MM has filled the squad with out of contract players of Messi's talents, we will win the league and qualify for the CL!

oh wait a minute, i've been listening to Mark for too long and have started talking as much pish as him!

i actually want him to stay just to see what he does in the summer. i'm getting quite excited about the prospect of Young and Mackie geting the punt! Or was that Kerr and McDonald.....or Grassi and Ifil......or Mulgrew and Duff?

Please GO Now. A few weeks ago he said he could not wait to get rid of all these duds. Now he changes it to Well if they apply themselves right over the next 5 games they could still be here next season. Make a decision and stick with it F.F.S.

So in other words if we don't get relagated he will not be changing much, if we do he will be bringing in 1st div players.

Please GO Now. A few weeks ago he said he could not wait to get rid of all these duds. Now he changes it to Well if they apply themselves right over the next 5 games they could still be here next season. Make a decision and stick with it F.F.S.

So in other words if we don't get relagated he will not be changing much, if we do he will be bringing in 1st div players.

that would improve the quality of the squad/football drastically!

Was never my choice in the first place but been prepared to give benefit of the doubt to date.

Our position is precarious to put it mildly. In my heart of hearts, I honestly beleive we will escape relegation, but only just.

All very well to talk of giving him the summer to sort things out, but absolutely nothing I'm seeing or hearing now convinces me that this is the correct course of action. What happens if the lack of motivation carries into next season, then what then ? At what point do the board decide enough is enough, how far detached at bottom of the league do we have to be. If this happens and we punt him into next season, then whoever takes over has no options in terms of signing players.

I can't beleive he is trotting out that everyone on our books still has the chance to be here next season.

Grow a set Dingus and go into the dressing room, simple question to those out of contract in summer, do you want to be here next season, if so go out and play like it, if not then don't bother coming in tomorrow, someone else is taking your place. Lets face it if you'd no intention of being in your job in a couple of months time, would you bust a gut ?

In short, think McGhee's time is up. Sad it hasn't worked out, but probably best for all parties for a parting of the ways sooner rather than later

Its been a shite season and that's the truth!  I would be a liar if I said I wasn't casting jealous eyes at derek adams at the moment, its some job he has done with county.  That said though I don't think MM is a bad manager, his track record backs this up.  I know its tempting tobin him but I think he'll turn it round given time.  Its a fair point to say that fergie's first season was pretty stinking, if its still crap by xmas consider me in the mm must go club but for now I'm going to advocate patience.

Its been a shite season and that's the truth!  I would be a liar if I said I wasn't casting jealous eyes at derek adams at the moment, its some job he has done with county.  That said though I don't think MM is a bad manager, his track record backs this up.  I know its tempting tobin him but I think he'll turn it round given time. Its a fair point to say that fergie's first season was pretty stinking, if its still crap by xmas consider me in the mm must go club but for now I'm going to advocate patience.

Really? Where did you hear that? In fact I'm pretty sure I know which down market forum has been repeating that particular piece of slight over exaggeration this season.

Premier Division 1978/1979

1 Celtic     36 21 6 9 61 37 24 48

2 Rangers     36 18 9 9 52 35 17 45

3 Dundee U     36 18 8 10 56 37 19 44

4 Aberdeen     36 13 14 9 59 36 23 40

5 Hibernian     36 12 13 11 44 48 ?4 37

6 St. Mirren     36 15 6 15 45 41 4 36

7 Morton     36 12 12 12 52 53 ?1 36

8 Partick     36 13 8 15 42 39 3 34

9 Hearts     36 8 7 21 39 71 ?32 23

10 Motherwell     36 5 7 24 33 86 ?53 17

Terrible season! Where's my post it notes! FMG!

In all honesty it was in reference to the stand free dvd (watched it a few weeks ago) here his first season was described as disappointing.

Looking at the fixtures/results I think the disappointing aspect of it was two defeats to Morton and a couple of other bizarre defeats.

We did beat Motherwell 8-0 the same season  8)

I think he should stay although I don't think he will be able to make the wholesale changes that some seem to think are going to be made. Who the fuck wants to play in Scotland when they can get paid more in lower leagues in England.

That's exactly the problem McGhee faced when he walked into the job, ending up with players like Ifil who are nothing better than League One plodders in England and get bombed out by Swindon. I'll accept that McGhee was hamstrung by the wages already at the club, hopefully getting rid of a damn good few might give him a chance to coax some players to come to Pittodrie, but is anyone actually confident that better players will come in to replace the ones going out?

I'm not, i can tell you  :(

Yes players can always easily go down south to a money rich and an inflated wage leagues. Looking down there is not going to get us a decent quality player at a wage we can afford. We have to look closer to home and at leagues outwith England. What we need to remember is that we are competing with Scottish teams and not English ones, we have a better budget than most Scottish teams and should be able to compete with them. On top of that is the manager to mould that mass of assembled players into a team able to play well.

I have yet to see anything which could convince me McGhee could either find these players and manage to get a team playing.

We might have a bigger budget but time and time again players seem to prefer the central belt sides or thereabouts.

Indeed, its another problem. The cost and hastle of moving house, getting a new school for kids on top of most players having their family in the central belt is something we have to contend with.

We might have a bigger budget but time and time again players seem to prefer the central belt sides or thereabouts.

I firmly believe this is our biggest problem. You could realistically live in Glasgow/Edinburgh and be at training within an hour(or so) playing for any SPL side, except the Dons. We tried the whole commuting thing with McNamara, which clearly didn't work.

It's a huge problem, and the only way we can really overcome it is by giving them inflated wages, which naturally we can't afford.

How depressing. 

I firmly believe this is our biggest problem. You could realistically live in Glasgow/Edinburgh and be at training within an hour(or so) playing for any SPL side, except the Dons. We tried the whole commuting thing with McNamara, which clearly didn't work.

It's a huge problem, and the only way we can really overcome it is by giving them inflated wages, which naturally we can't afford.

How depressing.

Lee miller could

We should be lining up McGhee's successor right now, then bin him at the final game of the season. My reason for waiting until after the final game of the season? McGhee and every other Aberdeen player's contracts should be ripped up, and they should be forced to wear their Aberdeen strips, and then marched down the left-hand-lane all the way from Pittodrie, up King Street and the whole length of Union Street. They should be FORCED to hold up traffic behind them so that everyone in the city gets a chance to show just how much McGhee and this sorry excuse for a squad have ripped the heart out of the club. Marching them up through the heart of the city will finally give the fans the opportunity to get REALLY pissed off at them, and force the players and coaching staff to hear the abuse, rather than just run away down the tunnel when the whistle goes.

I honestly feel this club has been set back more years by McGhee and his squad than Pele, Ebbe, Miller and Aitken did collectively.