Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Donald Trump to the rescue?

My r*n***s supporting mate was round earlier and we spoke about this.  Shell wanted to sponsor us and Chris Anderson actively encouraged it but Dick Donald didn't want their name on the front of our shirts (or anyone's name, for that matter).  So he compromised with Anderson and let our training tops be sponsored by Hydrasun. Good move, Dick!

I'm pretty sure we would have been the first club to have a shirt sponsor if DD had gone for it, is that right? :hammer:

I'm pretty sure we would have been the first club to have a shirt sponsor if DD had gone for it, is that right? :hammer:

In Scotland, yes. Would have been at least two years ahead of the OF with CR Smith.  There is a horrible, horrible trail that can be left from Mr Dick going back the way that basically spells disaster for AFC.  If any of you haven't realised it before, start at 4.40pm, 11 May 1991 and work back the way. 

2/3 years ago we were sponsored by Apex Tubulars & Acergy. Both Oil Companies investing in the Dons. It was our most successful season in the last 15 too.

I don't think these facts are particularly related though.

These arent oil companies. These are engineers and suppliers of exploration and drilling equipment who work for oil companies.

Oil company = Shell, BP, Texaco, Esso, ConocoPhillips, Total, ExxonMobil etc

These arent oil companies. These are engineers and suppliers of exploration and drilling equipment who work for oil companies.

Oil company = Shell, BP, Texaco, Esso, ConocoPhillips, Total, ExxonMobil etc

But do any of the big oil companies make big investments in any football team? (Genuine question that, i've no idea)

I'd rather we had lots of local Oil Service companies investing in the Dons than some big faceless multi-national. Was it not some oil rich far-eastern types that have fucked over Portsmouth. Not giving out the old fishing village mentality here, i'd just rather our investers were the kind to let their hearts run their heads with regards to the Dons (Much like the boy Thomson at Dundee Utd)

In answer to my own question, i'm almost positive that the "ConocoPhillips Arena" exists somewhere  ???

CSKA Moscow - Gazprom

FC Tokyo  - Nippon oil

and...

"Juventus and Tamoil - £165m over 10 years

At the time of its agreement, in 2005, the potential ten-year shirt naming rights deal (worth £75m over the first five years, and £90m if renewed for the next five) between Juventus and Libyan-owned oil company, Tamoil, was claimed to be the biggest in football history. However, it was penned little more than a year before the calciopoli corruption scandal exploded in Italy. Juventus, deemed the guiltiest of many guilty parties, were banished to serie B, and Tamoil promptly called a halt to their support for la vecchia signora. The Turin club had managed to recoup only £24m from the before the deal was called off."

But do any of the big oil companies make big investments in any football team? (Genuine question that, i've no idea)

I'd rather we had lots of local Oil Service companies investing in the Dons than some big faceless multi-national. Was it not some oil rich far-eastern types that have fucked over Portsmouth. Not giving out the old fishing village mentality here, i'd just rather our investers were the kind to let their hearts run their heads with regards to the Dons (Much like the boy Thomson at Dundee Utd)

Portsmouth were fucked over by several people being allowed to 'buy' them based on 'aye we're rich, im telling ya...but I aint got my bank statement handy ya know'. They may have been rich via oil but they werent an oil company.

The boy Thompson invested lots but did fuck all to help uniteds financial situaiton (see the interview with his son a few weeks back). They are still in debt and continue to lose money and the Thomson family aint exactly pleased that old dad essentially burned the £30million he got for MN&N. Jack Walker did the same for Blackburn same as Abramovich and the arabs are doing for chelsea - who cares if we lose money and rack up debts just so long as we win. And that ladies and gentlemen is the curse of modern football.

Investing is one thing, owning is another. Shell, BP, Esso etc were new in town back in 1980 and what better way to really get the public behind them by getting their name attached to Alex Fergusons all conquering side. 'not only do we give ya jobs and money but we also like yer soccer team etc etc'. But nooooooooo. From what ive heard the donalds werent exactly grateful for the offer and didnt just burn the bridge but also shot all the bridge builders and the fire dept trying to put it out.

Connocophillips will eventually fund Grimsby towns new stadium.

They also have their names attached to several stadia in the US as well as youth facilities, schools, universities etc

Tokyo FC are sponsored by one of Japans major oil firms and Ill lay a bet that around the world there will be other sports teams backed by that countries oil industry.

DNO also used to sponsor Hartlepool.

I'd estimate that 75% of the corporate revenue that we earn each season comes from companies in the oil industry.

Even our current sponsor exists to serve the oil industry.

We've probably missed the boat with getting an actual oil company putting money into the club, the only company of any size pumping money into the area is Taqa, the rest are either scaling back operations a bit or are small independent companies where every penny is a prisoner.

I'd estimate that 75% of the corporate revenue that we earn each season comes from companies in the oil industry.

thats what i was wondering, if there as actually any investment from them or if it was a bit of a holy grail in terms of investment, kinda like with Trump.

We've probably missed the boat with getting an actual oil company putting money into the club, the only company of any size pumping money into the area is Taqa, the rest are either scaling back operations a bit or are small independent companies where every penny is a prisoner.

Precisely. We're trying to get this investment 20 years too late. The noly way I can see us getting any major form of investment from Oil is if some tiny far Eastern country discovers it's sitting on a trillion barrels of the black stuff and want to lure away our skilled workforce, none of the bigger companies need to spend a penny on anything in the Aberdeen area.