Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Aberdeen FC’s McGhee ‘betrayed’ by players

Guest rocket debris

His article, honest tho it may be is hardly going to inspire any players to come to Aberdeen

What is happening to our club  :(

I trust that is rhetorical. What has been happening for well over a decade is a continuous decline. You can blame Milne's managers or the players they recruited, you might blame the Setanta deal collapse and the "state" of Scottish football although that would be to ignore the position of AFC relative to others. It is quite clear where thevlines of responsibility ends. The decline on and off the pitch and it's many symptoms all stem from the top, as it does in any organisation.

Well, McGhee's saving grace (to my mind) is that this isn't 'his' team.  It's Calderwood's.

Now despite these being the same players (more or less) who made Europe and finished fourth last season they clearly don't want to play for the manager.

The issue then becomes who do you get rid of... players or manager?

I'd vote to get shot of the players. We've made our bed in sacking our most successful manager in years, allegedly to appease the corporates and the fans, and hired a relatively popular manager.

The least the club can do is give him a couple of years to bring in his own dross. That's not a slam on McGhee.... but all he's going to get for nowt is dross.  The test will be if he, like Calderwood, can take dross and make it work.

Guest rocket debris

Where does this misconception come from that Calderwood made it "work"? The use of the term "most successful manager in years" is equally flawed, the implication being, unsurprisingly enough, that he was in fact successful. 

like many others I feel they let us all down last night. However, surprised I was not. The players simply for a lack of pride and will to win must shoulder the majority of the blame.

MMG though can't deflect all the blame. Who's idea was it to put aluko up front and pump high balls to him for the last 15 mins. ( p.s did you see aluko in the record talking about his hopes for the world cup, after last night he'll have to take up another sport to reach a world cup. His sister has more presence on a pitch ). He also watched Ifill plumb new depths without making further changes and stripped fyvie only to change his mind.( probably felt for the boy going onto that mess, but surely we had nothing to lose by that point as we'd created piss all )

I like MMG and what he has to say, but I find it too hard to believe that a hairdryer wasn't used at half time. If it wasn't it should've been. If it was where was the reaction from the players. I just feel that our lightweight heartless team don't have the desire to chase trophies any more and without the desire to be winners we'll continue to languish just below mediocrity.

Guest rocket debris

Some good points that I agree with. Aluko is conundrumenical. There's something about that kid. There's something not right about him. He was just awful v. Celtic and last night again, he was so frustrating, often not getting his crosses and corners past the first man.

Ifil's "performance" was described by Richard Gordon as woeful, the worst defensive performance he has seen and he wasn't wrong in my book.

The stripping of Fyvie for him to stand there like a spare prick was incredible, as bizarre as the match being stopped for ages despite their player being off the pitch.

McGhee has much to do to convince anyone that he is a going to be a good manager for Aberdeen but unless he's given the right level of support it will be impossible to properly assess.

Aluko to me doesn't give a fuck about playing for Aberdeen, he's one of the few who can be excluded from Mark McGhee's big game only syndrome as Aluko is even worse in big games than he is against lower teams. I want to back him because when he was on loan here originally he had so much to offer but you could see there was a rawness in his game. All I can see now is a player who's indulging to much in lifes other offerings to grasp the chance of being a star, shame.