Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - strikers

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

teamof2decades.jpg

Wow! A decent debate about our top four midfielders of the past two decades. It was a close-call for 3rd and 4th place! But once again, that immense team of the early 1990s continued its dominance with the final four being Jim Bett, Eoin Jess, Lee Richardson and Paul Mason. Imagine that midfield for the Dons today! The above teamsheet has them placed randomly across the midfield, as I couldn't come to a conclusion as to who was best where.

Onto our second-to-last week of the competition (we'll decide on the manager next week). And this could be a real toughie. The strikers! You're only allowed to choose two.

This poll will run until next Saturday. Remember, these are ONLY players who've played for Aberdeen between 1990 and 2010. As always, I'm not going to mention ALL players from the past two decades ... just the ones worth mentioning.

Think you should switch Rico and Jess just for the sake of the formation.

I've gone for Hans Gillhaus and Duncan Shearer. I loved Charlie Nic when he played for AFC but maybe didn't play enough in the decade.

Shearer was a proper centre forward, just scored goals and to think he was floating around the lower leagues. Gillhaus, can you imagine us signing a European Cup winner today? Fucking great player, was my favourite at AFC after Willie packed in.

Gone for Shearer and Gillhaus as well although real tough choice to leave out Charlie and Booth. Also would have liked a place for Zero.

Why is Mixu not on the list? Would have thought there should be a place for a striker who scored more than 20 goals in a season.

Think you should switch Rico and Jess just for the sake of the formation.

I've gone for Hans Gillhaus and Duncan Shearer. I loved Charlie Nic when he played for AFC but maybe didn't play enough in the decade.

Shearer was a proper centre forward, just scored goals and to think he was floating around the lower leagues. Gillhaus, can you imagine us signing a European Cup winner today? Fucking great player, was my favourite at AFC after Willie packed in.

Same for me really. Loved Charlie Nic but only played for five months of the decade.  Gillhaus was brilliant, the memories of his goal at Pittodrie in the last minute v the huns will live with me forever. The place erupted and that was the start of the sadly doomed run in for the title in 91.

He was a tough guy Gillhaus when you think about it, he regularly got the shit kicked out of him but it never seemed to deter him. One of the fastest players I've ever seen.

Shearer was an easy choice for me. No matter how badly the team were playing, we always had a chance of winning with Shearer on the pitch.  At the time a lot of people were a bit unfair on him, suggesting he was purely a penalty box striker, but he was more than that. He held the ball up superbly well and to this day, I've never seen anyone in Scottish Football strike a moving ball as truly as Shearer.

Would play Paul Mason on the right by the way!

Went for Booth and Gillhaus.

Was thinking that about Mason too, and Rico was left footed so he could play left mid.

Seriously considered Booth. He was a cracking player, tremendous in the air and his movement was exceptional.

Thought he was very good in his second spell too, had clearly changed his game and had become a more intelligent player.

Gone for Shearer and Gillhaus as well although real tough choice to leave out Charlie and Booth. Also would have liked a place for Zero.

Why is Mixu not on the list? Would have thought there should be a place for a striker who scored more than 20 goals in a season.

Agree with all of this.

Can we not have votes for our subs bench too?

If Van Der Ark and Winters are on Mixu has to be there surely.

There is no way Shearer can be left out.  Hard to believe now but used to go along ever week knowing that we had a striker who would score more often than not, and no trip to Pittodrie would be complete without the tannoy bellowing out "IT'S A GOAL DUNCAN SHEARER!".

Out of the others clearly Champagne Charlie and Hans are miles infront of the rest.  I've opted for Gillhaus but could just as easily have gone for Nicholas.  The rest, in my view, aren't in the same league with possible exception of Booth (first time round)

Went with Shearer for simple scoring consistency and Gillhaus for quality stylish football (as an aside, did he ever come out of the closet - Gillhaus I mean...?).

Both almost as good as Mackie...  ;D

Don't think he was gay...always mind the St Johnstone rumours  ;D

Are you kidding mate mate? Gillhaus and Shearer - its not even close!

I'd also change that midfield about, Rico was not a right midfielder.

I think it is.  I considered putting Nicholas in but he only played for us for about 5 months of 1990.