Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - midfield

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

End of round three, and another superb debate on our best players. Nice to see that we've finally grabbed someone from our recent teams to accompany what was fast becoming a remake of the 1990 Scottish Cup team. Russell Anderson will pair Alex McLeish in our Team of Two Decades.

Next up is the midfield. Over the past two decades, Aberdeen managers have tended to play the midfield players all over the park and generally out of position. So deciding on one player's natural position has been a task and a half. So we're going for broke and allowing you to choose your four best midfielders from across the two decades. You will be allowed to select FOUR players. Although you can select ANY four, try to find a top four across different positions, ie central midfielders and wingers.

This poll will run until next Saturday. Remember, these are ONLY players who've played for Aberdeen between 1990 and 2010. As before, I'm not going to mention ALL players from the past two decades ... just the ones worth mentioning.

Jess - Bett - Grant - Mason

Grant and Bett were the best double act we've had in midfield in my lifetime.  Grant was a brilliant player, our best of the 90-91 season in my opinion and yet he's still the very definition of under rated.

Mason was a joy to watch, a technically very good player and had great pace and scored goals from midfield.

Eoin Jess was at our Supporters Club dance one year and he said his best and favourite position was right wing... so that's an easy pick for that position although some would probably want him in the middle.

Jess - Bett - Grant - Mason

Grant and Bett were the best double act we've had in midfield in my lifetime.  Grant was a brilliant player, our best of the 90-91 season in my opinion and yet he's still the very definition of under rated.

Mason was a joy to watch, a technically very good player and had great pace and scored goals from midfield.

Eoin Jess was at our Supporters Club dance one year and he said his best and favourite position was right wing... so that's an easy pick for that position although some would probably want him in the middle.

Grant was closest to being in my team, despite forgetting to post as much!! Daft cunt!

I'm just disappointed there was no option for Paul Kane in the poll...  ;D

Grant and Mason are probably two of my most favourite of favourite Dons players of all time.  Should also give a special mention to Lee Richardson, really liked Rico but maybe just wasn't with us long enough for me to seriously consider him for this. Lovely passer of a ball and liked a tackle, but got kicked off the park in the 93 cup final which was only a couple of weeks after he was sent off against the vermin at Pittodrie. I think if that had never happened that day would have turned out very differently.  Grant was the best player on the pitch by quite some distance that afternoon too. 

EJ always told me his preferred position was "in the hole". Maybe he was just winding me up considering his relationship with someone I know.

Anyway, I'm picking him up front.

Mason, Bett, Grant.

Midfield 3 for me so I can play 3 forwards. Notable mentions to Rico and Paul Bernard. All things aside the boy was a good footballer.

EJ always told me his preferred position was "in the hole". Maybe he was just winding me up considering his relationship with someone I know.

Anyway, I'm picking him up front.

Mason, Bett, Grant.

Midfield 3 for me so I can play 3 forwards. Notable mentions to Rico and Paul Bernard. All things aside the boy was a good footballer.

Should be mentioned bb that when he told us that, we were in Alex Smith's pub at the time and Mr Smith was sitting with us. Jess said it was his best position and that Smith was the only one to play him there. So it's possible he was just being polite considering the company.

I can't believe all the votes for Jess.

He was niether maestro or grafter, but one game of keepie uppie...........

Connor, Bett, Grant and Rico..............would win the league easily now!

Your joking right? One game of keepie uppie? What about the 5 years (minus time out for injuries) before that where Jess was simply sensational at times. He was a great player, loved Connor as a player but no pace in your midfield dude  ;D