Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Maguire to Killie (loan)

he's just scored and put killie 1-0 up!

Well done to the loon, Calderwood played him out of position the last few years, and McGhee has not given him his chance. Looks far better when playing for the Scotland u-21s pushed up front. Not sure where he played tonight but fair play to him.

When played out of position, yes.

Gets played upfront in his first game for Killie and scores against Celtic.  ::)

Must be gash.

Your forgetting to take into account the management, Dave. The praise for the performance can't solely be placed at Maguire's feet. ;);D ;D ;D

It's all relative.

He got a free strike from inside the box, as Celtic's centre half was injured at the time and wasn't able to close him down at all. It was an ok strike, nicely placed into the corner. One goal doesn't make him a great player; hopefully he can bag a few more while out on loan and return to us a better player.

It's all relative.

He got a free strike from inside the box, as Celtic's centre half was injured at the time and wasn't able to close him down at all. It was an ok strike, nicely placed into the corner. One goal doesn't make him a great player; hopefully he can bag a few more while out on loan and return to us a better player.

Yip, get experience playing in his favoured position with a good coach.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

_47298824_maguire_466b.jpg

Aberdeen striker Chris Maguire hopes he can use his loan spell at Kilmarnock to impress Dons manager Mark McGhee.

Maguire joined Killie in January for a six-month spell and has scored twice in three games since his move.

"I've still got a year left (on my contract) up at Aberdeen," Maguire told BBC Scotland. The gaffer up at Aberdeen can have a look and see what he thinks.

"He's the one that said I would prove him right by scoring goals and he thought it'd be good for myself."

The move to Ayrshire reunited Maguire with his former Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood and his backroom staff.

"I've worked with the gaffer before up at Aberdeen and I get on well with him, Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark," said the 21-year-old.

"It wasn't a hard decision. They know what I'm all about and I know what they're all about and it was good to join back up with them.

"I'm really enjoying it. The main thing for myself is to be playing and, in the last couple of games, I've played full games, which were a bit limited up in Aberdeen.

With Kyle, in the last three games that we've played, we've started to get into a good partnership and I'm starting to read his flick-ons

"I'm delighted to come down and get the chance to play.

"That's two home games here at Kilmarnock and that I've scored in and I've set up two as well, so I'm enjoying my football just now and hopefully it can continue.

"There's no point in going out on loan and people looking at that and then seeing that I'm on the bench. I want to stay in the team. I'm just trying to work hard and trying to catch the eye."

Maguire's chances of a move away from Aberdeen appeared limited when Lee Miller left Pittodrie, but the Dons' capture of Steven MacLean changed things.

"I was a bit frustrated and I knew I wasn't going anywhere sitting on the bench," Maguire said. "I wasn't getting experience, which is what I need.

"Turning 21, I need to be playing games to get better, get sharper and I went in and asked the gaffer if there was a chance I could go out on loan.

"They said not until they got somebody in and fortunately they did and it was a chance for myself."

Kevin Kyle joined Maguire on the scoresheet in Killie's 3-2 win over St Johnstone on Saturday and the latter believes they are forming a good understanding.

"With Kyle, in the last three games that we've played, we've started to get into a good partnership and I'm starting to read his flick-ons," added Maguire.

"Hopefully, it can continue and the two of us can keep scoring."