Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Cadger Released

Russell Anderson has left Sunderland by mutual consent, the club confirmed today.

The former Aberdeen stalwart was beset by injury problems ever since being signed by Roy Keane in 2007.

He made just one Premier League appearance during his stay on Wearside, away to Wigan, in which he gave away a penalty.

With current manager Steve Bruce bringing in central defenders Michael Turner, Paulo Da Silva and John Mensah, Anderson has found his opportunities limited.

Black Cats boss Steve Bruce said: "This decision has been taken with Russell to give him an opportunity to find a club where he can fulfil his desire to play more first team football.

"He has been very unfortunate with injuries since he came here but his attitude and determination to get back playing have been exemplary. We wish him all the very best for the future."

When previously suggested of a return for him, I was cautious as things are never as good the second time round. However the lack of defending ability at the club just now would make we welcome back even a second rate Anderson with open arms.

Not the future. Past his best and now seems pretty injury prone.

Only two teams in the SPL have conceded less goals than us so I don't think defence is where we should look for problems.

Put your hearts away and think rationally.

Rationally even half fit he is better than what we have. I would sign him if we have the funds.

Wages shouldn't be a problem. His kid is going to school up here and he's been working for an insurance company up here on and off too to prepare for life after football. He's still got his house up here too.

As he's been given lots of time to recover from his last injury with no pressure to rush back, there's a good chance that it's properly rehabilitated. Assuming he passes a thorough medical, I'd take him back for sure.

Even half fit, Anderson's better than Ifil and Considine combined, and Diamond can't really be relied on to be fit and/or on form.

Only two teams in the SPL have conceded less goals than us so I don't think defence is where we should look for problems.

Maybe so but we've been playing with midfielders at full back, full backs in centre defence and at times had no fit centre backs. We were nearly left with just one defender for the Hearts game with Mulgrew and Ross passing fitness tests on the day. Ross is now gone or will be gone soon so having another defender wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it is just until the end of the season

If we can get him, I would definitely take him.

Head and shoulders above anyone we have at the moment.

Have lost touch with how he has been doing down in that England, but if he is fit and willing to take a reasonable wage then can't see any downside... he must be in dire need of rebuilding his reputation?

Apparently he has been talking to the Hibees?! Surely not!  :o

That would be a sickener...

It could be argued that Diamond is just as injury prone.

AFC should definitely be making inquiries IMHO.  Anderson can't be that difficult to deal with if he wanted to come back.

Surely a year-and-a-bit without regular first-team action is not a problem for a player like Anderson. Remember in 2001, he came back against Ra Shellick after over a year out with a broken leg. Took him three games to get into the swing of things, and then we started seeing the real Anderson again.

I'd love him back for sentimental, skill, ability, levelheadedness and leadership reasons ... not to mention a knack of knocking in the odd goal or three.

I thought he did his cruciate as well Bobby. Maybe not.

He's infinitely better than Ifil, who has never been nor will never be, a fitba player. If he's available in our budget, get him.

Now you say that bb it rings a bell. That's a hell of an injury to get, there's not many players who are the same after that. Reckon he's still worth a punt though.

I thought he did his cruciate as well Bobby. Maybe not.

He's infinitely better than Ifil, who has never been nor will never be, a fitba player. If he's available in our budget, get him.

He did his cruciate in when he was on loan at Burnley.

Did he not do his cruciate (all be it in his other knee) while he was with us as well? Seem to remember him having a long term injury prior to his captaincy and it being his cruciate?

I'd take him back to the end of the season, let him prove his fitness and see how it goes, he's been quoted in the press saying he has unfinished business in England but it couldn't hurt to offer him something until the summer to see how it goes. Especially since we've had to play full backs in central defense lately!