Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - goalkeeper

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shamelessly stolen from Friend Book. Since we're in the year 2010, I thought it'd be good to run over the next few weeks a few polls to name your top eleven of the past 20 years. Rules are, the players MUST have played for Aberdeen between 1990 and 2010. I'm not going to mention ALL players from the past two decades ... just the ones worth mentioning (hence no Bossu, Warner or )

Lets start with goalkeeper ...

Yes, but not in the era we are discussing. Not when compared to Theo.

True but Theo was also at his brilliant best in the 80's leading up to peaking you could say in the 90 cup final.

Leighton also had some great performances in the 90's.

I voted for Theo too i'm just playing devil's advocat if thats the right expression.

I can think of others that are more appropriate.

Snelders was with us until 96. He peaked 2 years into an 8 year stay?

He certainly wasn't his best after that cunt McCoist broke his head.

Also need to remember that when he left he was our No.2 keeper (although, I certainly didn't agree with that choice)

I can think of others that are more appropriate.

Snelders was with us until 96. He peaked 2 years into an 8 year stay?

In the late 80's Snelders was incredible and throughout that season when we won the Scots Cup he was fantastic culminating in that save in the final. I think he was at his peak those first 2 years.

Difficult one for me.

As said Leighton is the greatest goalkeeper ever to play for the red, but the 80's was when he peaked. Theo Snelders was great too but having been born late in the 80's, I cant really remember much of Snelders. Kjaer was good too, yet I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate him, and too young to see what he actually offered too a very poor team at that time.

So that leaves Langfield....

Had to be Langfield for me to young to remember Snelders, and saw Leighton when he was past his best. Kjaer would of been up there if he wasn't appart of a team that was terrible most of the time.

Hmmm. Kjaer was actually part of a decent Dons team ... probably the best Dons team of the past ten years. He signed for us early in the 2001-02 season, and then left kinda midway through the 2002-03 season shortly after Ebbe left. So his stint here was probably best remembered for his contribution in the 2001-02 season, a term that saw us go something like eleven games unbeaten.

I'll never forget the acrobatics that Kjaer used to do in goals. Safest pair of hands we've had in ten years. But Theo gets my vote. I had only just started actively following the Dons when Theo was around. Truly amazing keeper, and marginally better than the Jim Leighton Part Two that we saw in the late 90s. In my view, when Theo went to the huns, he did so to just get a bumper pay for the remainder of his career. TBH he probably picked up a better pay sitting on the bench at Ibrox than he did starring in goals for Aberdeen. But there's no doubting where his heart was! Even to this day, when asked what he'd love to do before he dies, he's said "walk out to a packed Pittodrie with everyone chanting my name".