Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Maguire and Paton to go out on loan?

Loan shock for Aberdeen FC duo

McGhee also plays waiting game for MacLean

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 09/01/2010

ABERDEEN FC today confirmed rising stars Chris Maguire and Michael Paton are set to go out on loan to make space for new signings.

The admission came from Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee as he waited to hear if Plymouth Argyle hitman Steven MacLean, is willing to accept the offer to come to Pittodrie.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

There are direct quotes from MM in the paper saying they would need to go out on loan to allow for new signings.

Think Maguire should of been out on loan two or three years ago.

absolutely agree. not sure why he was one of the youngsters spared from loan moves in the past.  Has always looked lightweight and you'd hope going to the lower leagues would toughen him up.  Not sure it would have necessarily improved his decision making, right enough.

Guest rocket debris

Gutted to hear that Paton is being considered for loaning out. Much as I loved the two youngsters contribution today - Pawlett in particular - I reckon Paton could be the best of the lot. His last start was v. Rangers I think and his contribution that game was immense. He single handedly dragged us back in the Dundee game as well. I love Paton and don't want anyone else to have him. He knows this already but has yet to accept my offer of intimacy.

Guest rocket debris

Thought Maguire played well enough when he came on today but a loan would be best all round.

Might make him screw the nut and realise that he needs to work hard to fulfil his obvious potential.

fucking good post

Maguire has to leave, whether that be on loan or transfer i'm not fussed.

There's no doubt he's got potential in there somewhere I just don't think he has any desire whatsoever to fulfill it.

I think there is a desire to fulfill it, however, I think it's a desire 100% to fulfill it his own way so that Chris Maguire is the story, rather than the team.  He has ability and ergo potential but so many of his performances have indicated that his decision making and quite possibly his ego stop him from being a good footballer.

I think the UK (in particular) is in danger of producing a whole generation of "YouTube players".  Guys who can do all the tricks and flicks but don't actually have any clue as to how to play the game of football. And I think Maguire falls into that category or is certainly bordering on it.  They think that's all it takes to be a player... Sky shows glimpses of Joe Cole fannying about with the ball and these lads think "that's what you have to do to make it".

Well, it's not.  And it amazes me after a few seasons in the first team squad now that Maguire still hasn't got it into his head that he is part of a team and that he has to play with his head up. If he changes those two things in particular, I think he could be a huge asset to us.

I think there is a desire to fulfill it, however, I think it's a desire 100% to fulfill it his own way so that Chris Maguire is the story, rather than the team.  He has ability and ergo potential but so many of his performances have indicated that his decision making and quite possibly his ego stop him from being a good footballer.

I think the UK (in particular) is in danger of producing a whole generation of "YouTube players".  Guys who can do all the tricks and flicks but don't actually have any clue as to how to play the game of football. And I think Maguire falls into that category or is certainly bordering on it.  They think that's all it takes to be a player... Sky shows glimpses of Joe Cole fannying about with the ball and these lads think "that's what you have to do to make it".

Well, it's not.  And it amazes me after a few seasons in the first team squad now that Maguire still hasn't got it into his head that he is part of a team and that he has to play with his head up. If he changes those two things in particular, I think he could be a huge asset to us.

Very, very good post.

Maguire = our McGeady BB?

Not in my book MBT, I think McGeady is an excellent player and knows when to run at players and when to cross/shoot which Maguire doesn't.  I know that McGeady can look ordinary at times but I think that's just the way it goes for wingers. They're reliant on their team mates getting the ball to them on the wing, and very often, if they don't get it early they won't doing anything for the rest of the match.  Just the way it goes, but I think McGeady is a very good player.

I think this is a cracking move by McGhee. I rate both Paton and Maguire. But both need game time to develop their respective games. Like BB says, Maguire suffers from wanting to be the hero every time - he doesnae hae a clue what it means to play as part of a team and work towards a collective goal.

These loan deals will either toughen them up mentally and physically, or they'll realise that they've finally found their level. Unfortunately, we've lost a number of promising players by loaning them out. See Michie, Wyness and Ryan Strachan, for example. Both were tipped for BIG BIG things with Aberdeen. But they just couldn't get into the first team. So we loaned them out, and they lost the will to be Dons players after that. Wyness found his level with ICT in the first division; Michie just lost his confidence completely and now is pretty run-of-the-mill at Peterhead. Likewise, Strachan won the Rising Star SPL award just under 2 years ago. He was binned by Aberdeen and then by Celtic, and is now with Peterhead.

I hope that both Maguire and Paton can come back developed mentally and physically. But this move also frees up some space in our squad budget for one or two players who are already established SPL/Championship caliber.

Good for Maguire, bit harsh on Paton, he's just got the nod for the first team squad and Maguire has been flattering to deceive for some time now. Much as everyone has said, blessed with no small amount of skill and bampottery at once, Maguire really has to use that for the team.

Paton is a really good prospect, hopefully he can see this as an opportunity.

Yeh I agree

I hope Maguire never comes back

Good for Maguire, bit harsh on Paton, he's just got the nod for the first team squad and Maguire has been flattering to deceive for some time now. Much as everyone has said, blessed with no small amount of skill and bampottery at once, Maguire really has to use that for the team.

Paton is a really good prospect, hopefully he can see this as an opportunity.