Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen FC ace rushed to hospital!

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1510595?UserKey=

ABERDEEN FC defender Zander Diamond had to be rushed to hospital because of a heavy nose bleed.

Diamond broke his nose in an accidental collision in training on Monday.

The 24-year-old continued to experience problems with bleeding from the inside of his nose.

The bleeding worsened to the point that the Aberdeen FC player had to be admitted to the city’s Royal Infirmary last night for treatment.

He was expected to be released this morning and to make a full recovery.

Sensationalist journalism at its best  ::)

More injury woe for Aberdeen FC defenderZander hit by nosebleed problem 

Published:12/12/2009

ABERDEEN FC defender Zander Diamond could be out until the new year because of problems with his nose.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee revealed  Diamond had to return to hospital this week.

He continued to suffer from a bleeding nose after breaking it in training.

McGhee said: “We hope Zander will train on Monday. But he will not play for a few more weeks.â€

Diamond and Fraser Fyvie will both miss today’s gameagainst Hamilton, but Sone Aluko is fit after a groin injury. JerelIfil is suspended

Injury setback for defender Diamond as he faces another nose operation

Manager McGHEE FEELS SUPPORTERS CAN PLAY BIG PART IN HELPING TO ENCOURAGE YOUNG DONS TO SIGN NEW DEALS WITH ABERDEEN

By Alex Martin

Published: 15/12/2009

ABERDEEN defender Zander Diamond may need a second nose operation and is still no closer to a first-team return.

The 24-year-old was injured in a training-ground accident on November 26 after a collision with young Dons midfielder Nicky Clark.

He lost more than a pint of blood in the four days in took hospital staff to stop the bleeding. But the injury is no closer to healing and the former under-21 international will be told today if he needs surgery.

Manager Mark McGhee, who will also be without suspended defender Jerel Ifil for the weekend visit of third-placed Hibs, said: “Zander’s nose was bleeding again over the weekend and he’s got to have another examination on Tuesday.

“The surgeon will assess things and make the decision as to whether he just gets on with things or needs another operation.

“I have been talking to Zander and he is certainly very frustrated with the situation. He thought he would be back not only in training but playing in the team again by now. It’s not great for Zander or the team but we don’t know when he will be back.â€

While McGhee hopes Diamond returns in the new year, his immediate concern is to snap a two-match losing run. Defeat at Celtic was not unexpected but the reaction from supporters after the 2-1 home defeat by Hamilton has given the manager cause for concern. While defending supporters’ right to boo the players, McGhee is also hoping patience will be shown as his young team struggles to find consistency.

He said: “I have every sympathy with supporters. That said, I’m also determined there is something good going on here. I care a lot of about this club and I care about where it is going and I’m working as hard as any manager could do to improve things.

“I have to try and do it with the players I have. I can’t go out and get anyone else but I think those we have are improving, regardless of Saturday. They will, more often than not, start to play better and produce good results.

“I expect supporters to understand that, even though on the day they are quite entitled to grumble and boo if they like.â€

McGhee was keen to stress the part supporters can play as his attempt to move back into contention for European football by season’s end.

He said: “It doesn’t do the young players much good in terms of their confidence in coming out for the next game. They do have to appreciate there are young players in this team and we are in the process of trying to re-sign them and they need to be supported.

“They need to feel there’s a bit of understanding from the supporters and they need to be persuaded to sign long-term contracts here.â€

Peter Pawlett went off with a hip injury against Hamilton but McGhee expects him to be fit for Saturday’s visit of Hibs. Mark Kerr (calf) and Maurice Ross (hamstring) are doubtful.

I'm all for being patient with the young players, inconsistency is part of the deal when bringing through young lads.  To be honest I reckon the booing was probably aimed at the senior members of the team, when the younger players are struggling to find form these are the guys we should be able to rely on to dig deep and fight our way out of trouble. 

I can accept an off day as much as the next person but there are off days and there is just total incompetence.  Last Saturday I lost count of the amount of times an Aberdeen player failed to make simple 6 yard passes, took an eternity to control the ball, had no positional sense whatsoever. In my eyes that's a lot more worrying than the young lads struggling to find consistency.

I hope Zander is back sooner rather than later, we really do miss him imo.

I think you're giving the booers more credit than they deserve ally. It's just the fashion now that you get a couple of bad performances and fans boo like a bunch of braindead, impotant hicks.

Booing is a sign of protest but unless there's something tangible to protest about, like sack the manager/board etc the booing is just a collection of self-important arseholes who think their opinion needs to be heard at every turn.

I hate to join the conspiracy theorists but these injuries for Zander are conveniently coming one after the other, and I'm beginning to get the feeling there is more too it. Especially when you add in the lack of form from almost all our senior players.

I keep reading about this season being a transitional season, but I'm not sure I agree. I read that the squad is weaker, I'm not sure I agree with that either. Everything in McGhee's record in management suggests that his first season is the best, well if this is the best we're fucked.

Just for comparison differences in squads:

Squad 08/09 (that played)              Squad 09/10(that have played so far)

Jeffery DeVischer                            Jonathan Crawford

Jared Hodgkiss                                Frazer Fyvie

Jamie Smith                                    Davide Grassi

Lee Mair                                        Jerel Ifil                                     

Scott Severin                                  Mitchell Megginson

Javan Vidal                                    Maurice Ross (Wtf was I talking about)

Sammy Stewart                             

Bertie Bossu                               

Obviously we have Nelson for Bertie and Sammy is still on the books, although like Megginson this season only made one sub appearance. Jerel is a straight swap for (last seasons) Severin, Fyvie must have already played as many as Jamie Smith did last term. Davide Grassi is straight swap for Lee Mair, Crawford for Hodgkiss, Pawlett has already played as many games this season as his and DeVischers totals for last. and Javan didn't come till January. We have used one less player this term so far than we did the whole of last season, obviously this doesn't take into account the awful run of injuries and suspensions we've had.

It was said many times that McGhee was going to be a sideways step and so far everything points to this. I fail to see how getting rid of Mackie, Duff and Young but retaining the rest is going to solve anything. Performances would suggest that senior players are not comfortable/happy under McGhee and that is surely not going to help progress the young ones.

Anyway off on a tangent there and hopefully we're just a couple weeks late for our usual December January surge. Otherwise I can't wait for our bottom six winners trophy parade down Union Street in May  ::) .

@Baggy  ;)  - I think you've been more than a touch creative with your facts there.  The numbers may well be more or less the same but you haven't touched at all on the ages or abilities of players.

The abject performances could suggest many things, quite possibly that the senior players aren't happy under McGhee. I have no idea if they are or not, maybe you know something I don't but it's a fair leap to assume this if you don't.  One thing I'm fairly sure of is that the performances of senior players suggest that they are not good enough to get us results over a run of games.

Your probably right Bobby, I was having a bit of a rant and probably more than slightly weighted it to try and stir up a bit of debate. Like you say the below-par performances could be due to any number of factors, but in the last year (and I'm talking about Chelsea here) we've seen the power senior players can have if they do not get on with a new manager. I'm not suggesting that this is a factor with us just that it might be. We've seen what McGhee has said in the papers about opposition teams this season, did he say something derogatory about our players last season? Is there a grudge being held?

It is difficult to judge at this point in the season, I'm not calling for McGhee's head. As you say I haven't touched on players abilities and ages nor have I touched on how many games the "dross that needs to be moved on" played in a team that finished fourth. McGhee has to be given time and by that I mean till the end of his contract at least. I want to believe that he can turn us into a "force". You asked "where do you see us in 5 years time?" Maybe a more pertinent question would have been "Where do you see us in a years time?"

In the last few years we have not been very successful in retaining senior players whose contract are due for renewal, add into that my perceived unhappiness of a few others. Where will be if we finish bottom 6 this season and then have to attract players to replace (worse case scenario) Kerr, McDonald, Miller, Mulgrew, Langfield, Diamond and Aluko? Especially players who will help bring on the youngsters.

As far as I can see the SPL decreases in quality slightly year on year, the trick seems to be to keep a squad assembled for as long as possible and have a decent motivational man manager. The evidence so far does not point to McGhee being that man, however if he can build his own squad, who knows?

Fuck I'm depressing today. Not enough work to do obviously  ;D .

Your probably right Bobby, I was having a bit of a rant and probably more than slightly weighted it to try and stir up a bit of debate. Like you say the below-par performances could be due to any number of factors, but in the last year (and I'm talking about Chelsea here) we've seen the power senior players can have if they do not get on with a new manager. I'm not suggesting that this is a factor with us just that it might be. We've seen what McGhee has said in the papers about opposition teams this season, did he say something derogatory about our players last season? Is there a grudge being held?

It is difficult to judge at this point in the season, I'm not calling for McGhee's head. As you say I haven't touched on players abilities and ages nor have I touched on how many games the "dross that needs to be moved on" played in a team that finished fourth. McGhee has to be given time and by that I mean till the end of his contract at least. I want to believe that he can turn us into a "force". You asked "where do you see us in 5 years time?" Maybe a more pertinent question would have been "Where do you see us in a years time?"

In the last few years we have not been very successful in retaining senior players whose contract are due for renewal, add into that my perceived unhappiness of a few others. Where will be if we finish bottom 6 this season and then have to attract players to replace (worse case scenario) Kerr, McDonald, Miller, Mulgrew, Langfield, Diamond and Aluko? Especially players who will help bring on the youngsters.As far as I can see the SPL decreases in quality slightly year on year, the trick seems to be to keep a squad assembled for as long as possible and have a decent motivational man manager. The evidence so far does not point to McGhee being that man, however if he can build his own squad, who knows?

Fuck I'm depressing today. Not enough work to do obviously  ;D .

Been meaning to pick up on this all week, but kept forgetting. I thinkits all very true, and I hope that McGhee is that man to inspire orkeep the squad inspired. But the worrying thing for me at the momentis, that i'm really not sure. Its all coming back down to most of usbeing convinced over the summer that this was a sideways step. You do have to wonder as well, how happy the players really are? They seem tohave less fight than they did last season :o

Been meaning to pick up on this all week, but kept forgetting. I thinkits all very true, and I hope that McGhee is that man to inspire orkeep the squad inspired. But the worrying thing for me at the momentis, that i'm really not sure. Its all coming back down to most of usbeing convinced over the summer that this was a sideways step. You do have to wonder as well, how happy the players really are? They seem tohave less fight than they did last season :o

Well if that's true about the players having less fight (and it certainly looks like it) they can all fuck off. They're paid handsomely to do a job and they're not doing it. Whether they like the manager or not should be irrelevant; professional pride should ensure they give everything they possibly can everytime they pull on that jersey. 

Well if that's true about the players having less fight (and it certainly looks like it) they can all fuck off. They're paid handsomely to do a job and they're not doing it. Whether they like the manager or not should be irrelevant; professional pride should ensure they give everything they possibly can everytime they pull on that jersey.

I don't dispute with that at all. But over the years, the professionalism of footballer's has always come into question. We only need to look as far as James Beattie last week to see how childish footballer's can be. I hope the squad aren't still bitter about the change. Everyone needs to move on, but our performances just aren't doing that at the moment. Hell, I'm sure Stoney had a "had this been last season we would have lost this fixture (re Hamilton)"...  :doh:

As I said, this is just what I see as an outsider, I don't know if its true or not, but they really don't seem to give a fuck. Its not something new because it was very clear last season too. My only worry is we don't have enough cash to clear some of this deadwood and unprofessional players that may hinder the progress of any youngsters coming through. Its a shame that Jamie Smith was always injured, because he always came across as the consummate professional.