Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I guess we're stuck with clanger for another year

Guest kilahun

Think its got to the point where we should be shouting for Leighton to put the gloves back on for one more season lol

Rangers have signed former West Ham and Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll on a one-year contract. I guess this means we'll be stuck with Langfield for another season, then!

i don't really follow, min. are suggesting that roy carroll was the only goalkeeper in european football that was available for transfer this summer? as far as i'm aware, carroll was never even an option for afc, so i don't see why his signing for the currant buns makes any difference to our goalkeeping situation.

if jc really is sticking to his word and is bombing out clangfield, we'll simply HAVE to get another keeper in. we can't go the whole season with just one viable number one choice (look at hibs last year - they went through three and even then didn't have enough o them). 

instead of dodgy amateur strikers, surely caldo jr could dig us up a half decent stopper in holland or somewhere?

gotcha. well, to be honest, i suspect clangfield's move to the huns was never going to happen once they signed smith fae killie.

i'm sure there'll be plenty of other clubs who'll take clangers off our hands (lord knows why, like) - what about some o these championship jokers like cardiff and norwich that were mentioned before?

I'm struggling to see how Langfield can possibly continue playing for us. He's all but admitted he wanted to leave and go to Ibrox. Any support he had from the fans would be even more diluted after that type of outburst. Imagine he plays against the huns, has one of his "eccentric" moments, and drops one in...

I agree. I don't actually think Langfield is a bad keeper. I think he is a slightly better than average SPL keeper, and considerably better than most of the goalkeepers in the league. All things considered I would have been fairly ambivilant had he started the season as number one.

The problem is, he can't. He can't conceivably play for us as it undermines Calderwood, undermines anything faith Calderwood might have in Souter ('aye, sorry son, you were brought in for competition and the first choice has shot himself in the foot, but fancy another season on the bench...') and there is a very good chance that the fans will turn on him as soon as he steps on the pitch. The only thing worse than a full on Hun, is one of your own who wants to be a Hun. I think, in a perverse way, we need to hope Souter either a.Suddenly gets much, much, much better or b. Doesn't exactly 'prove himself' in Egypt and spurs the three Jimmies (Leighton has to know this too), or Willie, into making a move for a keeper. It isn't like there are no options, especially seeing as we can offer European Football. Available just now include Neil Alexander (Free Agent), Rab Douglas (Transfer Listed), Timo Hildebrand (Free), John Filan (Free). One of those is not to be taken seriously...

You have all forgotten the facts here. 

A) Time heals all wounds.  Whatever JL said to JC was not enough to get his arse turfed right out of Pittodrie.  Win in Europe and All will be forgiven.

B) Langfield has stayed here instead of trying a Bosman-type maneuver.  The guy is trying to be professional about it.

C)We're SKINT and can't afford the wages...

Unless one of those guys will come purely for the European exposure, Langfield is our keeper.

I think were it not for the fact that Calderwood doesn't have competition for the keepers jersey, then Langfield would have been punted immediately. Langfield can't get a Bosman style transfer, because he is still under contract to us. When contract negotiations were withdrawn it was regarding an extension. What grounds would he have to break his contract? 'I got pissed, slagged off my boss and demanded a move to another side...'

I agree that we probably won't sign anyone, but I don't think that we couldn't. Anderson was the biggest earner at the club, and if Willie is still talking about potentially adding Huevel plus another, then we obviously do have some money for wages. Considering that Neil Alexander, Scotland's number 2, is on a free transfer then that would be one avenue. Quite possible that he is on extortionate wages, but there is some money there if a freebie came along.

I know this may be a debate for another time, but how many points did Langfield actually cost us last season? Not many.

He cost us a few, but not an awful lot. I can think of the Caley game for definite, the game v Hibs U19s if i'm being a bit uncharitable and Hearts when we drew 1-1 (what kind of a save attempt was that?!). Some other games, he's let in some bad goals and been quite shaky, but so far, we've been lucky enough to get away with a lot of them. I prefer him to Souter, but making me choose between the 2 is akin to asking if i want my bollocks or my cock chopped off, to be honest.

I agree. I don't actually think Langfield is a bad keeper. I think he is a slightly better than average SPL keeper, and considerably better than most of the goalkeepers in the league. All things considered I would have been fairly ambivilant had he started the season as number one.

The problem is, he can't. He can't conceivably play for us as it undermines Calderwood, undermines anything faith Calderwood might have in Souter ('aye, sorry son, you were brought in for competition and the first choice has shot himself in the foot, but fancy another season on the bench...') and there is a very good chance that the fans will turn on him as soon as he steps on the pitch. The only thing worse than a full on Hun, is one of your own who wants to be a Hun. I think, in a perverse way, we need to hope Souter either a.Suddenly gets much, much, much better or b. Doesn't exactly 'prove himself' in Egypt and spurs the three Jimmies (Leighton has to know this too), or Willie, into making a move for a keeper. It isn't like there are no options, especially seeing as we can offer European Football. Available just now include Neil Alexander (Free Agent), Rab Douglas (Transfer Listed), Timo Hildebrand (Free), John Filan (Free). One of those is not to be taken seriously...

Rab Douglas. You nearly had me there.  ;)

Seriously though, is Filan the boy that was at Wigan last season? He's got a fair whack of experience and doesn't seem to be a bad keeper. Looks to be quite a dominating presence as well, which is something i think we'll lack without Anderson.

Guest worldslastgunslinger

Imagine he plays against the huns, has one of his "eccentric" moments, and drops one in...

murder