Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

"Number eight is..."

I would agree with the Brian Irvine comment BB. He is remembered with affection due to his honest commitment ot the team and to the game in general but I used to hate seeing him on the field, he was a scare more often than not. Possibly due to the era he followed.

Another controversial one but I never liked Bobby Connor. Thought he was completely ineffective as a player but again possibly due to the company he kept....oh, and that god awful cock duster.

Brian Irvine - Won't be a popular choice I know, but I cringed every time his name was read out prefixed by the words "Number six".  To be fair to him, taking the shirt vacated by Willie Miller was never going to be easy.  And he scored some fantastic goals for us for which I will be forever grateful, none moreso than his penalty in 1990, but he was a disaster waiting to happen in every match.

Ask him to clear the ball out the park with his head or foot and it was fine but the number of goals we lost through him getting turned because he was too tight to his man was ridiculous. Things got progressively worse with him when McLeish wasn't there to hold his hand.

Seems a nice bloke, loves the Dons, but he had all the poise of a drunk on roller skates.

Harsh BB. Unless my memory fails me it was his return to the team towards the end of infamous season where we played Dunfermline in play off that co-incided with a change on our fortunes ultimately leading to us finishing second bootm and relegating The Arabs. ;) 

Harsh BB. Unless my memory fails me it was his return to the team towards the end of infamous season where we played Dunfermline in play off that co-incided with a change on our fortunes ultimately leading to us finishing second bootm and relegating The Arabs. ;)

Need to agree to disagree Al as I could counter your claim by saying his absence coincided with us going on a great run towards the end of the 90-91 season, with McKimmie playing beside McLeish.  Horses for courses... how apt when talking about Dobbin (and he wasn't called that for nothing...)  ;);D

Not in my opinion Kow, and it is only an opinion. it is allowed, I believe.

And I've said before I'd take Diamond ahead of him.  Even if I wouldn't, it doesn't change the fact that in his time with us - and that's all it can ever come down to - I didn't think he was good enough.  Like your comment about Paul Kane and how there's been worse players than him; does that make Kane a better player than he actually was? Of course it doesn't.

Totally agree with Mark Perry and felt the same about Irvine in his early days, although warmed to him around 94/95, but for me the biggest disappointment was hearing Joe Miller's name announced.  He scored a cracker against Kilmarnock from 20 yards once but apart from that did absolutely fuck all during his entire second spell with us.