Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Potential new signings

Guest innesciver

I'm certainly not saying Onstad is a great keeper, but I don't rate Langfield or Soutar at all and the SPL isn't full of quality keepers, and you weren't pointing out better players if you look into who you commented upon (maybe the exception is Robinson who has a number of Welsh caps and could probably play in the dons starting eleven). You pointed out average players in MLS as did I, guys who play most games. Would you take a 32 yr old Dichio or a 40 yr old Brewster in your squad? They are comparible if you ask me. Paul Dalglish won the MLS = Bob Malcolm winning the premier league. There are plenty of mediocre Scottish players would get overly recognized too - look at the Rangers and Celtic diddies who have been selected for Scotland before quality and more deserving players (i.e. the clowns that play instead of Russell Anderson.)

I'm not arguing MLS is better but I think they are comparible leagues. I've seen terrible dons games in the past and great MLS games and vice versa. Freddy Adu is a decent player with plenty of talent but remember he's only 18. He's been overly hyped up by MLS to get attention to the league but that is American sports - the world series, world champion San Antonio Spurs etc. It's not the world but that's America.

Johnson isn't the best player in MLS and I'd say Angel, Donovan, Albright, Johnson, Mapp, Ching, Mastroeni for example could all start for an SPL team plus there are loads of good up and coming players. I heard Danny Szetela is being linked with Rangers being one. It's a very new league and will only get stronger as players develop and gain experience. MLS will just get stronger (as will American 'soccer' in general) - It pains me to say but I'm not as confident about Scottish football.

Reekie, you know I'm playing devil's advocate here.  How does one compare then?

The problem here is that the Scottish game has over 100 years of history and the MLS has 11 (including the year we're in).

I will say this and I doubt anyone can argue against it.  The game has come miles on this side of the Atlantic since the MLS began and it will continue to improve as it goes.  The level of play in the league can only partially be compared. Even the Everton guys who played at Anderson's Testimonial game were saying the scottish game is different than their style that they are used to.  We can definitely agree that the game played in La Liga is different from the SPL.  The Brazilians? Football on another planet... I can go on.  I believe the MLS has a different style again.  Perhaps a little more rough around the edges as the talent pool is improving but I would stick Toronto FC, FC Dallas, and Houston Dynamo out against the Falkirks, ICTs, and Dundee Utds. any week and expect to see a match. 

The only way to prove it? Try it. Test the theory.  OK Open Invite to SPL clubs for their Preseason Tours.

I just think football "State Side" will never become as big a game as it should be for a nation with that kind of population.

I can fully understand your excitement at the way the game is heading over in the US and Canada. I have the same sort of experience down-under where I regularly watch cracking games from Australia. New Zealand is shit at football (finally, he says, a sport that NZ is shit at!!) but the Aussie game has come on leaps and bounds. The Australian game has only really been around in international terms for a couple of decades, and with a population of 21million, they're only now starting to show their worth.

But the US game has been around for a lot longer than that. With a population in-excess of 302million (!!) surely they should be producing a dozen teams that can be world champions!!! Instead, the US seems to be stuck in their ways of playing games that no other nation plays (baseball, gridiron and basketball, for example). If they ploughed as much effort into the world's top sport as they do their own sports, they might actually be a force to be reckoned with ... and not the 29th place that they currently occupy (might've changed by the time you read this cos those rankings change more often that I have hot dinners).

Don't get me wrong, I think the US MLS league is great. It's got a lot of innovative ideas that the rest of the world could well do with adopting, such as wage-capping, winning-draws, etc. But for a league that is supposedly almost perfect in its structure and organisation, it still produces poorer quality teams than a corrupt, biased and financially crippled league like the SPL.

Worse than the US, Canada has had an issue with the game that no where else has had to deal with.  If it isn't Ice Hockey, the media won't cover it.

Were it not fot the fact that Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (owners of the National Hockey League's Toronto Maple Leafs) were the owners of Toronto FC, I doubt the media would be as hyped as it is.

You are also forgetting the home advantage that the MLS sides tend to have when they come up against European teams. There is far more in it for an MLS player than for a Scottish player (ie- moves to Europe, raising the profile of the league). Hence the reason that the LA Galaxy players say things like...

"It was good experience for me. They're one of the most storied clubs in the world. They brought their first team in the first half, so it was good to play against those guys"

...when they play against the Hun. I expect Celtic to get beaten in the All Star Game as well, but I don't really expect them to try that hard. The MLS players are in the middle of the season, Celtic haven't started pre-season yet. The only reason they are there is the 6 figure sum they will get for it. Rangers waltzed over to LA and won 1-0 with a side that included Gow, Lowing, Perry and McMillan- none of which I expect to be regulars next season. And that was only 3 days after being humbled in the SPL, 9 time zones ahead, by our good selves.

The MLS might have the potential to be a really great league, and I agree that it does have some innovative ideas, but it is still a hugely inferior league. There are some of the rules that even hinder the development of the game, for example the 'pool' for transfers out of the MLS- ie, you buy from the league, rather from the club franchise. This has meant that half decent younger players are priced out of moves to Europe where they could get experience and improve. They then do strange things like send their youth team to the Copa America- the one place that the national team could improve outside of the World Cup- because they wanted their best squad available for the Gold Cup (against Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, El Salvador, Canada and Mexico).

There is certainly entertainment in the MLS, but there is entertainment watching a Fraserburgh vs Locos game. Some might even argue there is less entertainment the higher the standard.

Guest kilahun

Free Transfers Available:

Richard Wright GK

Vladan Zivkovic MD

Jody Morris MD

Quinton Fortune MD

Gary Holt MD

Trevor Sinclair MD

Malcolm Christie AT

Neil Alexander GK

They have all been released and if still free surely any of them would be good addition to our squad?

Guest dundee_red

Richard Wright GK

Vladan Zivkovic MD

Jody Morris MD

Quinton Fortune MD

Gary Holt MD

Trevor Sinclair MD

Malcolm Christie AT

Neil Alexander GK

They have all been released and if still free surely any of them would be good addition to our squad?

:cardred:

Gary Holt MD

... good addition to our squad

:cardred:

Agree 100% with the red card there! Holt was a middle-of-the-road SPL player when he was at his peak. And that was about five or six years ago. Too old and slow for us now (says me who's a fan of a club who are currently singing the praises of Craig Brewster!)

The standard of fitba in the US isnae bad, but the players there have one fairly big advantage over Scottish players.

They're athletes who take the sport seriously.

So while the likes of your semi-pro Aberdeens and Dundee Uniteds are starting to flag in the second half, your typical MLS side will keep the pace up.

Speaking of MLS, I was watching some MLS game last week, and there's a black kid, 20 years old, fast as a fuckin' rocket and nae feart to take folk on and put in a cross.  Aberdeen could do a lot worse than have him running up and doon the wing for 90 minutes.

The hell's his name again?

It's got an O in it.

Guest kilahun

The standard of fitba in the US isnae bad, but the players there have one fairly big advantage over Scottish players.

They're athletes who take the sport seriously.

So while the likes of your semi-pro Aberdeens and Dundee Uniteds are starting to flag in the second half, your typical MLS side will keep the pace up.

Speaking of MLS, I was watching some MLS game last week, and there's a black kid, 20 years old, fast as a fuckin' rocket and nae feart to take folk on and put in a cross.  Aberdeen could do a lot worse than have him running up and doon the wing for 90 minutes.

The hell's his name again?

It's got an O in it.

OJ Simpson?

• 2 weeks later...