Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee on the transfer situation...

I didn't really need to know we just missed out on a Nigerian international!

If there is one difficulty I have with our transfer dealings in the last few months its this. I suspect McGhee has just been shopping too high up the ladder. I fully agree with his sentiment that he is not going to bring in low level players form England/France/Holland etc just to build numbers and the club are to be applauded for saying that they would rather make way for youth players to develop experience. However, the reason he was not able to get those few extra signings in is that he has shopped in the wrong places. Calderwood was given the slack to make these deals but McGhee will not so we have to hope he can do something with the young players that Calderwood couldn't. I'm still reasonably confident this will happen and I am almost glad the transfer window is closed so he can get on with delivering without distraction.

there is nothing funny about it - it's simple - wiggy won't open his purse strings.

I've said countless times, he us ruining the club, and now McGhee has said things like "we wouldn't have had the money for stokes" maybe we can drag the majority of our support to reality.

Wiggy has made us a tiny club in terms of spending power.

Lets hear all you idiots who claim we have the 3rd biggest budget in the SPL.

Can we please get a new chairman andboard before the club dies

Its kinda ironic comparing us to hibs, who (until they signed Stokes) was always reliant on their youth players, which is exactly what we're being forced to do now....maybe in 3 years time or this will actually make us stronger?

Its kinda ironic comparing us to hibs, who (until they signed Stokes) was always reliant on their youth players, which is exactly what we're being forced to do now....maybe in 3 years time or this will actually make us stronger?

"Stronger" - we've finished above them the last 5 years have we not?

And, they seem to have become a massive selling club.

I would however swap my left kidney for their League Cup win.

Personally im starting to get fed up with this

Unless ive been imagining things this is the latest of several interviews to the media in whcih mcGhee has wheeled out the 'we havent got any money which is why ive struggled to buy people'

I dont know if i should be angry with

1) McGhee for continuing to moan about the subject to the press instead of keeping his mouth shut and getting on with things. lack of funds is no fucking excuse for sending out a team that couldnt manage a single shot on target last saturday.

2) The press for not bothering to do any work and just going back down merkland road to old Mark because hes always good for a soundbite.'

If he just said the following i might start to get some respect for him:

'Dear mr media man. Im not going to/ im not allowed to sign mediocre shite which is unortunate because thats all we can afford. Come back when something interesting happens and not before!'

But i fear that come every few weeks from now an almost identical interview shall appear AGAIN and AGAIN!

I'd be surprised if he did keep banging on about it. When the window was open (and just newly shut) it was always the subject raised by interviewers, so obviously he was going to talk about it over and over. Now that there's no oppertunity to sign anyone I'd be disappointed if the media keep bringing it up and so it would be slightly manic of Mcghee to bring it up himself.

January is a different thing but even then I expect the stock response to be along the lines of, 'we are speaking with 1, 2, 3, 4...players with a view to signing them on pre-con.' With less of the 'We have no fucking money you cock sucker so stop fucking asking me!' But it depends what the amateur journalists ask him.

Better journalistic standards would help.

"Stronger" - we've finished above them the last 5 years have we not?

And, they seem to have become a massive selling club.

I would however swap my left kidney for their League Cup win.

Wasnae comparing us as potentially being stronger to the Hibees on a playing sense, merely meant in a stronger position financially, ye ken?

• 2 months later...
Aberdeen FC’s McGhee misses out on Nigerian

McGhee close to swoop

Published: 03/09/2009

ABERDEEN FC lost out on signing Nigerian international Paul Obiefule due to lack of funds.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee was willing to make the Lyn Oslo attacking midfielder the highest paid player at Pittodrie.

But the deal collapsed because the Dons could not afford Lyn’s demands.

Aberdeen FC manager McGhee said: “I thought we were going to get a deal with Lyn Oslo for Obiefule.

“But right at the last minute, Lyn Oslo decided we did not offer enough.â€

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express

See this guy's name being banded about again today! Any insiders know owt?

Edit - I canna work this quote function. Kowalski posted the above ages ago!

No January sales at Aberdeen FC

McGhee waits until summer

By Sean Wallace

Published: 08/12/2009

MARK McGhee today revealed he will not have a new year clearout.

The Aberdeen FC boss previously indicated he could offload fringe players during the upcoming transfer window to free up funds.

But McGhee insists he will not have a fire-sale, handing a reprieve to out-of-favour players like Darren Mackie, Stuart Duff and Derek Young.

To read this story in full, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express