Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Today's Times (17/08/09)

Yes I saw them play badly, but it's just an example to stop eulogising Anderson!

FFS I saw Willie and Alec plat badly. But not every fucking game!

Now I'm no English teacher but plat?  Seriously?

I didn't think Anderson was that good, I got annoyed when he got MOTM despite having a nightmare, it was the type of thing each week at home where you knew he could score an own goal, batter a kid and then get sent off yet still get it, that annoyed me.

Now I'm no English teacher but plat?  Seriously?

I didn't think Anderson was that good, I got annoyed when he got MOTM despite having a nightmare, it was the type of thing each week at home where you knew he could score an own goal, batter a kid and then get sent off yet still get it, that annoyed me.

Crikey.  Best defender that's been at the club for probably the last decade!

Probably the best since Brian Irvine.  ;D:wave:

Oh nae doubt he was a quality player for us, just a bit annoying that when he was shit in a match he still got MOTM.

It perhaps said more about his team mates than anything else, and it's not really Anderson's fault that folk are giving him MOTM when he doesn't deserve it.

Probably the best since Brian Irvine.  ;D:wave:

I did a LOL at that bit.  :wave:

Seriously, though. Anderson was a lot better than Dobbin. For all his honesty and commitment, Dobbin had the turning speed of yer average Maersk container ship. He gave his all to the Aberdeen jersey. But let's face it ... his all vs Anderson's all is no contest really.

I'm not sure I would say 'no contest'. I think Anderson was a decent defender but when he cames up against the likes of Viduka and Hartson he struggled badly. Irvine lacked culture, for sure, but he was a dogged no nonsense defender who forwards didn't enjoy playing against. Irvine basically replaced Willie Miller, the most thankless task in football. Irvine also won more caps for Scotland at a time when, arguably, there were better Scottish defenders around. You could counter argue that Anderson's lack of caps has more to do with shocking team selection. My main point I am trying to make is that I wouldn't say that it is not contest between Irvine and Anderson. In fact I think that would be a decent pairing at centre half, much more accomplished than Diamond and Considine, though those two have some time to sort out their game. Here's hoping Ifil actually turns out to be decent.

I was probably unfair to Irvine by saying "no contest". But also to be fair, if judging Anderson against Viduka, that would've been a very very young stage in Anderson's career. I do, however, remember the moment I noticed Anderson for the first time. A stunning last-man catchup tackle from behind on an Eric Bo Andersen who was bearing down on a very very worried looking Michael Watt about thirteen years ago. One inch later or sooner, and Russell would've been sent off for fouling as last man. But against the likes of Viduka, Anderson would've been no older than 19.

Like I say, with both players on top form, I would have Anderson over Irvine any day, as Anderson's peak performances were some way ahead of Irvine's peaks.