Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Armed Forces to get Free Tickets at Pittodrie

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1349090

Published:

Serving members of the armed forces are to get free tickets to see the Dons play at home.

Aberdeen FC have signed up to an initiative aimed at acknowledging the sacrifices made by military personnel at home and abroad. The Dons are among several clubs and sports organisations across Britain backing the Tickets for Troops campaign launched by Conservative leader David Cameron yesterday.

Rangers have pledged support, alongside Falkirk, Hearts, Spurs and Manchester United. Other organisations taking part are the Scottish Football Association, Cricket Scotland and Tennis Scotland. The campaign was launched against a backdrop of concern about the way service personnel are treated. The Ministry of Defence has been criticised for limiting injury payments and not providing troops in Afghan-istan with adequate equipment such as helicopters and armoured vehicles.

Aberdeen FC managing director Duncan Fraser said: “Our troops – and there are many Dons fans among them – are doing such a wonderful job in extremely difficult circumstances.

“It is only fitting that they should be able to watch their favourite football team when they’re home.â€

Active members of the forces have only to contact the Dons customer services department to get a complimentary ticket. It will save each man and woman £27 for a seat in the Main Stand.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain said: “Last season, the club was honoured to welcome soldiers from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders battalion and marines from 45 Commando – who had just returned from Helmand province – to the games against Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Hearts and our supporters gave them a well-deserved standing ovation.â€

The Tories now plan to contact other clubs to see if they will also provide complimentary tickets to military personnel.

Scottish Tory leader Annabel Goldie said: “This is an issue above party politics which allows us to show our appreciation for the tremendous work and sacrifices our forces undertake for us. I hope others take up this campaign. Certainly, Conservatives the length and breadth of Scotland will be contacting their local sports clubs and attractions to see if they want to get involved.â€

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on when you bought your ST are you not getting a couple games for "free" also ?

Working it out on what price you paid by the x amount of home games do you not get at least 2 games for free compared to buying a ticket for each match on its own ?

Kudos to AFC for backing this tho  :thumbsup:

I see what they are doing, but it is a job they chose knowing it was dangerous. Lifeboatmen, firemen etc all have dangerous jobs serving the public are they going to get free tickets too?

Neither of these are anywhere near half as dangerous as being Darren Mackie.

I see what they are doing, but it is a job they chose knowing it was dangerous. Lifeboatmen, firemen etc all have dangerous jobs serving the public are they going to get free tickets too?

Completely agree. This is my view on the subject. They should get fuck all. No one forces them to join the army. They just run out of other options.

Neither of these are anywhere near half as dangerous as being Darren Mackie.

A member of the armed forces was after him after the Sigma game last week  :rofl: Luckily he sneaked out the back door ontae the bus!

No, just the armed forces. Didn't you read the article?

;)

no  :thumbsup:

I'm with the unpopular position on this. What is so special about them ? So they put themselves at risk in their career, join the queue. Don't give me this defending liberty horseshit either, its a career choice. The armed forces themselves are selling it that way in their advertisements for recruits.

There is some sort of collective guilt being manufactured in this country about the loss of life being experienced by our soldiers in the far east. While I agree its tragic that lives are being lost, we are involved in a conflict and that is an unfortunate bi-product of such an event. It seems that the British public want to see measures taken in parts of the world that are volatile but are not willing to accept any loss on our part. So to balance up the guilt that we feel for this we have to over-compensate by treating the vehicles of for this action as some sort of special group.

Its a knee-jerk, guilt ridden decision being made to appease public opinion and its myopic and inconsistent. Still, if it boosts the crowd on a Saturday then yee-ha. Get them in  :-\

It is a strange one. I can only imagine the horrors they have seen in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of them will probably be scarred for life as a result. Why on earth would they then go and put themselves through 90 minutes at Pittodrie?

It is a strange one. I can only imagine the horrors they have seen in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of them will probably be scarred for life as a result. Why on earth would they then go and put themselves through 90 minutes at Pittodrie?

:lolabove: +1

I'm with the unpopular position on this. What is so special about them ? So they put themselves at risk in their career, join the queue. Don't give me this defending liberty horseshit either, its a career choice. The armed forces themselves are selling it that way in their advertisements for recruits.

There is some sort of collective guilt being manufactured in this country about the loss of life being experienced by our soldiers in the far east. While I agree its tragic that lives are being lost, we are involved in a conflict and that is an unfortunate bi-product of such an event. It seems that the British public want to see measures taken in parts of the world that are volatile but are not willing to accept any loss on our part. So to balance up the guilt that we feel for this we have to over-compensate by treating the vehicles of for this action as some sort of special group.

Its a knee-jerk, guilt ridden decision being made to appease public opinion and its myopic and inconsistent. Still, if it boosts the crowd on a Saturday then yee-ha. Get them in  :-\

I'm with you big man.

If they had said guys coming back from Arghanistan can have a certain amount of tickets i would have had no problem with that as I know one of our guys has been shaken up by what he saw out there. Going to the Sigma and Hull games for him has really helped him, however opening it to everyone in the services is too far as many will never see the nastiness of war.

If they had said guys coming back from Arghanistan can have a certain amount of tickets i would have had no problem with that as I know one of our guys has been shaken up by what he saw out there. Going to the Sigma and Hull games for him has really helped him, however opening it to everyone in the services is too far as many will never see the nastiness of war.

So basically it's a good idea because it benefits your mate who chose to go to Afghanistan (or Arghanistan as you aptly called it), but not for anyone else? Is there a head scratching smiley?