Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Aberdeen FC fans attacked and robbed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8194986.stm

Police in the Czech Republic have charged four men suspected of attacking Aberdeen football fans, it has been revealed.

Dons supporters had travelled to watch their side face Sigma Olomouc for the Europa League qualifier.

They were targeted by local youths before the game.

Four Czech nationals aged between 19 and 22 have now been charged. Aberdeen lost the game 3-0, to lose 8-1 on aggregate.

• 2 months later...

Stolen from the Hat

http://www.afc-chat.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26040&pid=576139&st=0&&do=findComment&comment=576139

Three months ago, after the attack by a bunch of Sigma Olomouc casuals on a group of AFC fans, I promised to keep you posted on the developments in the case. So, here goes:

Apparently, the first hearing took place in late August (the so-called "expedited" proceedings were used in this case). Five attackers were charged with disorderly conduct, one of them also with theft, and each of them faced up to 2 years in prison. From what I know, the sentences were mostly alternative (community service). One of the guys accepted the sentence (250 days of community service) - not surprisingly, the most aggressive and most active one in the attack, the one that everyone remembered really well (for those who were there, the fat kid in a green T-shirt). I guess he was happy to get away with that. The other four appealed against the ruling and the case is taking the regular route (starting with the proceedings of the first-instance court). The initial hearing took place last Wednesday (4 November).

Even though the police initially said they had plenty of witnesses, there were only four witnesses for the prosecution there. Another two or three didn't show up. Plus there were four or five witnesses for the defense, who, I reckon, were the attackers the police didn't catch after the attack. Actually, even the guy sentenced in the expedited proceedings appeared as a witness there. It just made me sick to think his word should have the same value as mine before the judge. Also, waiting in front of the court room next to these witnesses and their friends (basically the notorious Sigma prominents) wasn't really pleasant or encouraging. They're not totally stupid, so there were no verbal or other obvious threats thrown around, but still...

As I could expect, the hearing itself was quite confrontational, especially as I was the only witness (other than the victims) to give an account of the actual attack on the Scottish couple. A stressful experience overall, I have to admit. No wonder alcoholism is common among people working in the criminal justice system - I could really use a drink afterwards (and it was like 10am).

The judge eventually decided that two of the witnesses that hadn't shown up needed to be heard, and adjourned the proceedings for late November. A friend of mine is one of these witnesses, so I should find out what happens then. But frankly, I don't really expect these idiots to end up in prison.

Again, I'll keep you posted.