Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aluko likely to miss start of the season

Hes been called up by the full Nigerian squad

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1667288,00.html

Dons star Sone Aluko has been called up by Nigeria to play in this Friday evening's full international friendly against the Republic of Ireland.

The 20-year-old, capped at all levels up to and including Under 19 by England, says it was a tough choice to switch allegiance but one that he made with the full support of his family. "Although I was born in London, my family are from Nigeria and it was a tough choice to make.

"However, the call from Nigeria was too strong to turn down and the chance to be involved at full international level, and possibly World Cup qualifiers, at my age was one I could not pass by. I spoke it through with my family and they are completely behind my decision, which was one made from the heart as well as the head."

Following Friday's match, Nigeria face France in Saint Etienne on June 2 and then two 2010 Fifa World Cup qualifying matches later in the month against Kenya and Tunisia.

Sone's elder sister, Eniola is also a footballer and plays for England at full international level

Guest Nellie The Don

Also, I read, Powlett is English, he's not eligible to play for Scotland, even though he's been in Aberdeen since he was 5, sad times (potentially)

Surely that would qualify him on the basis of being 'naturalised'?

I think that would be the case if he came to Scotland from outside Britain but not from another British country

Its good in a way, we dont want International football to become any more of a farce, the guy is born in England to English parents and English grandparents hence he shouldn't be playing for Scotland

I think that would be the case if he came to Scotland from outside Britain but not from another British country

Its good in a way, we dont want International football to become any more of a farce, the guy is born in England to English parents and English grandparents hence he shouldn't be playing for Scotland

So, but he considers himself to be Scottish, he's lived here his whole life? Much better than Brazilians playing for any nation that'll take them.

Also, S(ky)SN reporting all the British based players called up to the Nigeria squad, except a certain Sone Aluko...

So, but he considers himself to be Scottish, he's lived here his whole life? Much better than Brazilians playing for any nation that'll take them.

Also, S(ky)SN reporting all the British based players called up to the Nigeria squad, except a certain Sone Aluko...

Good. Keep him under the radar. We are going to struggle to keep this guy beyond next season if not even sooner.

Thats why I said that we (or maybe just me) dont want International football to become any more of a farce. Its all bollocks. Everyone generally has one nationality, that is who you should be playing for, if you're good enough.

Yeah its better that Brazilians popping up everywhere but its still not what International football should be about

probably a good decision from Sone, in the long run. Will he ever be good enough to play for England? I doubt it. However, were we to keep him for a few years, it means he'll have a fair bit of travelling to do in international weeks (as well as a month off in the middle of the season every 2 years for the ANC, including next season.)

I'd be happy to sacrafice a month every 2 seasons to keep a budding young Nigerian internationalist in our team.

Of course. It enhances his reputation (and price!) It's just a situation we haven't been in very often in the past few years - having a full international, let alone a Nigerian one.

See, this is the thing, and the point I think I was trying to get at either in this thread or another, having an internationalist in our squad, not only enhances his profile, but surely that of the clubs surely? Maybe I read too much thought into this, but surely it shows the calibre of the club (he hopes)?