Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

If Calderwood were to leave...

Guest Nellie The Don
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Like a lot of you are saying I would stay away from other SPL managers.

I don't think Black has done enough to be worthy. Mcghee has not done much at Motherwell since finishing 3rd last year.

I have been impressed with Steve Nicol here in the MLS with what he has done at New England, but could we afford him and does he know enough about the game in Scotland?

Lee Richardson could be a good shout actually, manages on a shoestring (simialr to what he would get from Milne)

Dont think it would be right to give Windass his first crack at management tho

Willie Miller, Rico or Curbishley for me, I ken I said Nicholl and Hughes the other night after the game but that was anger and drink talking then haha

Guest ally s

Lee Richardson could be a good shout actually, manages on a shoestring (simialr to what he would get from Milne)

Dont think it would be right to give Windass his first crack at management tho

Willie Miller, Rico or Curbishley for me, I ken I said Nicholl and Hughes the other night after the game but that was anger and drink talking then haha

Never in a million years mate.

Bruce Rioch would be a good appointment imo.

I think that the fairytale of bringing the likes of Deano or Rico back should be killed off. These two, whilst fantastic players for us, have not done ANYTHING worthy of noting in a managerial sense. I'm not too keen on the Black/McGhee ideas either purely from the point of view that it again seems to just be one of those "he played well for us, so he's got to be a good manager too!" stories.

We've got to look outside the bog-standard seven or eight managers whose names always do the rounds whenever we're thinking of binning our manager. We need experience. We need someone who maybe has a history of keeping sides consistently good. I'm not talking about a manager who has a pedigree of winning titles or bringing sides up through the divisions. I'm talking about a manager who has maybe kept his side at the upper end of The Championship for a few successive years, for example. Maybe an overseas manager from Scandinavia (or somewhere such) who has got his side pushing for runner-up spots year after year in the league.

I still think there's got to be better managers in America, Canada or Australia who have produced wonderful results with the limited resources that these leagues have. Lets face it, the MLS and A-Leagues are pretty much graveyards for former SPL and Premiership players. But if managers in these leagues can still get good performances out of our old used tyres, then surely they've got something that we're looking out for ... the ability to work wonders with the relative shite that they are given.

I'll push the boat out and say Frank Farina. He's currently managing Queensland Roar, and prior to that he was the first coach in the history of the Socceroos to get his nation to the FIFA World Cup finals.

Guest ally s

I think that the fairytale of bringing the likes of Deano or Rico back should be killed off. These two, whilst fantastic players for us, have not done ANYTHING worthy of noting in a managerial sense. I'm not too keen on the Black/McGhee ideas either purely from the point of view that it again seems to just be one of those "he played well for us, so he's got to be a good manager too!" stories.

We've got to look outside the bog-standard seven or eight managers whose names always do the rounds whenever we're thinking of binning our manager. We need experience. We need someone who maybe has a history of keeping sides consistently good. I'm not talking about a manager who has a pedigree of winning titles or bringing sides up through the divisions. I'm talking about a manager who has maybe kept his side at the upper end of The Championship for a few successive years, for example. Maybe an overseas manager from Scandinavia (or somewhere such) who has got his side pushing for runner-up spots year after year in the league.

I still think there's got to be better managers in America, Canada or Australia who have produced wonderful results with the limited resources that these leagues have. Lets face it, the MLS and A-Leagues are pretty much graveyards for former SPL and Premiership players. But if managers in these leagues can still get good performances out of our old used tyres, then surely they've got something that we're looking out for ... the ability to work wonders with the relative shite that they are given.

I'll push the boat out and say Frank Farina. He's currently managing Queensland Roar, and prior to that he was the first coach in the history of the Socceroos to get his nation to the FIFA World Cup finals.

I think someone mentioned Steve Nicol earlier in the thread, a very highly rated coach in the MLS.

Farina's perhaps not the worst shout, but getting Australia to qualify for the World Cup really isn't any great achievement. Plus, they had already qualified at least once before: back in 1974, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, back to qualification: have you seen their qualifying groups? For the 2006 World Cup, the Oceania qualifying pool was made up of the Solomon Islands, Tahiti, New Caledonia, Tonga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, American Samoa, New Zealand and - of course - Australia. From now on, after topping that group, you play the 5th best team from the Asian Federation (which was Bahrain in qualification for 2006) and hey presto; Bruce is your father's brother, mate.

Seems like even less of a challenge on paper than our Cup draws have been in recent years, and yet Farina actually managed to get his team not to qualify for the 2002 World Cup.

FUCK NO!!!! One of the worst Managers on the planet. And it was Guus Hiddink that got them to the World Cup.

Farina's perhaps not the worst shout, but getting Australia to qualify for the World Cup really isn't any great achievement. Plus, they had already qualified at least once before: back in 1974, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, back to qualification: have you seen their qualifying groups? For the 2006 World Cup, the Oceania qualifying pool was made up of the Solomon Islands, Tahiti, New Caledonia, Tonga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, American Samoa, New Zealand and - of course - Australia. From now on, after topping that group, you play the 5th best team from the Asian Federation (which was Bahrain in qualification for 2006) and hey presto; Bruce is your father's brother, mate.

Seems like even less of a challenge on paper than our Cup draws have been in recent years, and yet Farina actually managed to get his team not to qualify for the 2002 World Cup.

On a related note, I think the Aussies have now moved to the Asian qualifying group. As such, it should be much tougher for them to get to the World Cup.

On a related note, I think the Aussies have now moved to the Asian qualifying group. As such, it should be much tougher for them to get to the World Cup.

they have but I think the reasoning was Asia get several places while Oceania doesn't even have one proper place at all, and Australia were fed up getting papped out by South American teams

I will be very unhappy if we sack Calderwood only to replace him with another SPL manager. Hardly aiming to move us forward if these managers have largely, for the last 4 years, led their teams to finish behind Aberdeen.

My thoughts too.  There must be some decent realistic options out there somewhere.

My thoughts too.  There must be some decent realistic options out there somewhere.

Seeing that the hatters will have driven Jimmy oot by 4:46pm GMT on Saturday...

I've been thinking (although I'm sure I've said/typed this before) I'd quite like to see Steve Cotterill or Russell Slade with a someone who knows the Scottish game (Jimmy Nic maybe) as co-manager or as assistant.

I've been thinking (although I'm sure I've said/typed this before) I'd quite like to see Steve Cotterill or Russell Slade with a someone who knows the Scottish game (Jimmy Nic maybe) as co-manager or as assistant.

I wouldn't keep Jimmy Nic.  If we're wanting to bin the management, it's got to be a clean slate, bin the lot of them.  Not that we can afford it.

Why would you want to keep any of the current management team if you want the manager changed?  I don't disagree that Nicholl may be a good coach, but he's still been there all that time (see also: Aitken, Roy).

Why would you want to keep any of the current management team if you want the manager changed?  I don't disagree that Nicholl may be a good coach, but he's still been there all that time (see also: Aitken, Roy).

Yeah suppose. What I was really thinking was these two guys, I think, are excellent coaches and motivational man managers. All they would need to do a good job up here would be someone who knows Scottish football and more importantly Aberdeen Football Club inside out. I know it's a cliche but Aberdeen is a bit of a goldfish bowl, as is being proved.