Saturday 20th April 2024: Ā kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

šŸ”“āšŖļø Stand Free! āšŖļøšŸ”“

Aberdeen vs Kilmarnock

I'm looking forward to an afternoon drinking BOOZE in the local.

Ā 

I'm nae going out on friday so I can enjoy drinking my BOOZE!

Ā 

I might even go straight from my hoose to the game to avoid drinking too much BOOZE before the game - and I might last more than half time.

Ā 

Then I will go to the bar to drink more BOOZE!

Ā 

It's all about the FITBA these days!Ā  8)

Ā 

You have stayed in the pub rather than go the football last two home games.

Really need to win this one, so missing Sone could be a big blow.

Certainly can't afford to play like we did in the first 45 down at rugby park last month

Ā 

Jimmy Calderwood spoke to RedTV at lunchtime and gave an update on the team news ahead of the weekend.Ā 

Ā 

"Sone Aluko called in this morning and he is suffering from a bug so he was sent home but we will see how he is tomorrow and take it from there. Gary McDonald is still out as is Andrew Considine and they are not progressing as well as we would have hoped as we thought they would have been back by now.

Ā 

"The good news is that Jamie Smith will be in the squad for Saturday. He brings so much to the team and you can see the effect he has on the rest of the guys, it's great to have him back with us at training as it has a knock-on effect. If Aluko does make it then it gives us some very pleasant headaches for Saturday.

Ā 

"The game against Kilmarnock on Saturday is absolutely massive for us and we must concentrate only on our game and not worry what is going on at Tannadice. If we can do our job and get the 3 points then something has to give between Hearts and United. Ideally they would draw and although we'd still be in 5th we'd be equal on points with United and just 2 behind Hearts which would be the best possible position.

Ā 

"Kilmarnock will be very dangerous and now that Fernanadez is back from suspension they will have that quality back and the balls coming into Kevin Kyle up front will no doubt be quality. Zander is going to have a battle again but he can handle these situations."

Aberdeen FC set to start with 3 strikers

Ć¢ā‚¬ĖœWe need three pointsĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢

Ā 

Published: 27/02/2009

Ā 

ON A MISSION: Aberdeen striker Darren Mackie.

More Pictures

Ā 

ABERDEEN FC boss Jimmy Calderwood today ordered his men to go in for the kill against Kilmarnock.

Ā 

Calderwood plans to start with at least three strikers in their SPL clash at Pittodrie as Aberdeen FC battle to get up to third.

Ā 

Lee Miller, Darren Mackie and Chris Maguire are expected to spearhead Aberdeen FCĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s assault on the men from Ayrshire.

Ā 

Sone Aluko Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ if he recovers from a stomach bug Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ and fit-again Jamie Smith are also in the frame as Calderwood looks to keep the pressure on Euro rivals Dundee United and Hearts.

Ā 

Surely this will be two strikers and mackie at RW?

Do we have any RW in the club?Ā  Where does this Pawlett guy play, is it not worth seeing if we had someone that could play that role better than mackie, dung or foster?

Ā 

However good to see we're going to come out and attack again.

It is a blow, also think McDonald being out is a loss, his forward runs are a huge outlet for us.

Ā 

Totally agree, mcdonald has more than filled the shoes of nicholson.Ā  When our squad is fully fit i'd say we can have anyone in our league but the lack of depth particularly midfield is scary

Full article now up on the EE site:

Ā 

ABERDEEN FC boss Jimmy Calderwood today ordered his men to go in for the kill against Kilmar-nock.

Ā 

Calderwood plans to start with at least three strikers in Aberdeen FCĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s SPL clash at Pittodrie as the Dons battle to get up to third.

Ā 

Lee Miller, Darren Mackie and Chris Maguire are expected to spearhead Aberdeen FCĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s assault on the men from Ayrshire.

Ā 

Sone Aluko Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ who has recovered from a stomach bug Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ and fit-again Jamie Smith are also in the frame as Calderwood looks to keep the pressure on Euro rivals Dundee United and Hearts.

Ā 

Calderwood said: Ć¢ā‚¬Å“We are chasing the other two, so we need wins.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It will mean taking a risk or two at the back, but we have to live with that.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I started with Miller, Mackie and Maguire against United last weekend and we are going to have to be as attack minded this time as well.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“You can be sure United and Hearts are praying we slip up.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ThatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s why we will be taking a few chances Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ even a draw would be seen as a good result to our rivals.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s what the fans want to see as well.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ve received letters from fans praising the way we took the game to United last weekend. Others I met in the street also said they were pleased we were so positive.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“The backing we got during the United game also showed how much our fans appreciate seeing us playing like that.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“They are more willing to accept people making mistakes if they see itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s because they are taking risks in at attempt to win.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s the start of a massive week for us.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“If results go our way tomorrow and we beat St Mirren on Tuesday, we could be sitting in third.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Then we face Dunfermline, looking to get to the Scottish Cup semis.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It could be a dream seven days.Ć¢ā‚¬

Ā 

CalderwoodĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s decision to go for broke means he will resist the tempation to man-mark KillieĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s star man David Fernandez.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“We would normally look at ways of snuffing him out,Ć¢ā‚¬ he said.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“But we are more concerned with causing the Killie defence problems this time.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Fernandez is strong and will be a real danger in and around the penalty area.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“We can lessen the threat he poses if we defend further up the pitch.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It takes bravery to do that, but itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s what has to be done if we are to win.Ć¢ā‚¬

Ā 

Calderwood knows Killie are capable of picking them off if they defend as carelessly as they did in their last two SPL outings, against Hearts and United.

Ā 

But he is sure his players will rise to the challenge.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“They know Killie are always one of our hardest opponents and capable of punishing any slip-ups,Ć¢ā‚¬ he said.

Ā 

Aluko trained normally today and will start.

Ā 

Smith is back in the squad for the first time since October.

Ā 

Gary McDonald (hip) and Andrew Considine (groin) are expected to be sidelined for another week.

Full article now up on the EE site:

Ā 

Calderwood said: Ć¢ā‚¬Å“We are chasing the other two four!, so we need wins.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It will mean taking a risk or two at the back, but we have to live with that.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I started with Miller, Mackie and Maguire against United last weekend and we are going to have to be as attack minded this time as well.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“You can be sure United and Hearts are praying we slip up.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ThatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s why we will be taking a few chances Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ even a draw would be seen as a good result to our rivals.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s what the fans want to see as well.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ve received letters from fans praising the way we took the game to United last weekend. Others I met in the street also said they were pleased we were so positive.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“The backing we got during the United game also showed how much our fans appreciate seeing us playing like that.Ć¢ā‚¬Å“

They are more willing to accept people making mistakes if they see itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s because they are taking risks in at attempt to win.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s the start of a massive week for us.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“If results go our way tomorrow and we beat St Mirren on Tuesday, we could be sitting in third.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Then we face Dunfermline, looking to get to the Scottish Cup semis.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It could be a dream seven days.Ć¢ā‚¬ Ā 

Ā 

That's where us internet AFC fans have been going wrong! ... JC only realising we (the fans) wanted them to attack/take the game to the other team/be positive, after receiving letters and nice comments in the street!Ā  ::)

Ā 

I applaud his positivity for the Killie game, however why doesn't he learn to shut the fuck up rather than alert JJ that he intends to play 3 up front?! strikersĀ  :-\

Ā 

Another thing that historically has tended to bite AFC in the arse is talk in the media, which is why JC's Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It could be a dream seven daysĆ¢ā‚¬ comment made me cringeĀ  :hammer:

Let's hope he is right, and it isn't a nightmare!

Ā 

C'mon ewe reds!!

I remember a game against Killie a few seasons back where we went at them and took them to pieces for an hour. Game only ended up 2-1 I think but we really ripped them in the first half, it might have been Maguire's introduction into the 'bags of potential' hall of fame. Would like to see that performance again with a little more relentless and merciless finishing off of the opposition.

Ā 

As for giving away tactics, lets just be happy that JC is not building his approach around the opposition for a changeĀ  :thumbsup:

Ā 

Moral boosting thumping required ladsĀ  :wave:

Jimmy is sticking with the same starting eleven that faced Dundee United last weekend. The only change to the squad sees the welcome return of Jamie Smith after injury as he finds a place on the bench in place of young Jonathon Crawford. Once again Richard Foster is left out of the squad. Joining Smith on the bench are Bossu, Wright, Young, Duff, Stewart and Paton. The referee is Dougie McDonald and the full starting line up is:

Ā 

Aberdeen: Langfield, Mair, Mulgrew, Diamond, Severin, Kerr, Mackie, Vidal, Miller, Maguire, Aluko.

Ā 

Kilmarnock: Combe, Hay, Lilley, Ford, Bryson, Taouil, Kyle, Fernandez, Clancy, Hamill, Pascali.

Just in, it was awful.

Kilmarnock were atrocious but we couldn't break them downĀ  :hammer:

2nd week in a row the officials have been shocking.Ā  I think we had a couple of decent penalty claims turned down.

Only the last 15-20 minutes were good, when we started to throw everything at them.Ā  Up until then, it was a dreadful match.Ā 

Ā 

Kerr and Severin played very well.

I didn't think Miller, Maguire or Mackie did much.Ā  Miller won some headers but we didn't seem to get going up front at all today.

Ā 

Mulgrew is becoming a real liability defensively.

Ā 

Jamie Smith came on and didn't get stretched off!Ā  :thumbsup:

Just in, it was awful.

Kilmarnock were atrocious but we couldn't break them downĀ  :hammer:

2nd week in a row the officials have been shocking.Ā  I think we had a couple of decent penalty claims turned down.

Only the last 15-20 minutes were good, when we started to throw everything at them.Ā  Up until then, it was a dreadful match.Ā 

Ā 

Kerr and Severin played very well.

I didn't think Miller, Maguire or Mackie did much.Ā  Miller won some headers but we didn't seem to get going up front at all today.

Ā 

Mulgrew is becoming a real liability defensively.

Ā 

Jamie Smith came on and didn't get stretched off!Ā  :thumbsup:

Ā 

Red tv guys siad they should have had one at the start with Clangfield at fault, but the rest of the game seemed to be every decision going for them.Ā  Is that about right?