Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Strikers are meant to score goals - nae fuckin fall over.

I also get pissed off with the "Lee Miller's nae an out-and-out striker" bullshit that the folk that slag off Maguire & Mackie speak.

Has he gone off the boil because his rumoured move in the transfer window was just a rumour?

:-\

Has he gone off the boil?

When did he last score?

You want me to answer this for you or is this you proving a point?  ::)

During the time since he last scored, the team put 4 past Celtic, drew with the Huns, lost to Falkirk and Hearts, and stuck 5 past East Fife midweek.

In that time he played very well against Celtic and Rangers, poorly against Falkirk and Hearts (although the whole team was in both these games), and was impressive in the midweek game against East Fife.

Let's disregard his all round game though why don't we.

If we had a penalty box finisher who played the predatory game well and knocked in 20 goals in a season I don't think we would be to concerned about what Lee Miller does or doesn't bring to the team. Its the vacuum that exists up front that means we are scrutinising everyone who is classed in that bracket.

I'm not disregarding his all round game. Are we nae allowed to gripe about lack of goals from a striker?

Apologies, my comment about disregarding his all-round game was directed at Mizer as his sole contribution was "When did he last score?"  ::)

My main gripe is the fact that folk slag off the other strikers for not scoring goals and then say "Lee Miller is not an out-and-out striker".

I can't speak for anyone else, but the difference between Miller versus, say Maguire, is what he offers on the pitch other than scoring.

I can't say I've ever watched an Aberdeen game and thought to myself that Maguire played bloody well today.  It's only been on the rare occasions in the last decade that Mackie has impressed, and Tommy Wright's not played enough to make a fair judgement of.

Miller on the other-hand has impressed me numerous times, and this season he appears to have added finishing to his undoubted ability.  He's scored some absolutely brilliant goals.  Fair enough he's not scored in a month, but in that time the team's blown hot and cold, so his goal ratio may be down to the team as well as himself.

His performance against Celtic was brilliant, Rangers shut-up shop, Falkirk got right in his face, the Hearts performance was poor all-round, and he was unlucky in midweek not to score.

He definitely doesn't score enough goals.

It'd be great to see him score more goals, but by the same token if he was more prolific he would not be playing for us, simple as.

Look at this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/top_scorers/default.stm

Apologies, my comment about disregarding his all-round game was directed at Mizer as his sole contribution was "When did he last score?"  ::)

I was asking that sitting on the toilet as I couldn't remember.........knew he had scored this year but couldnt think when.

As for out and out strikers Mackie and Maguire aint as they both play as wingers, sometimes and most of the time respectively.

We can't really afford the luxury of an 'out-and-out' striker. These types of players tend to contribute very little else and there is increasingly less place for them in modern day football. Why do you think Kiss Boys is in such low demand at international and club level ? Less and less top teams have a lazy cunt who 'knows where the net is', the game is more complex and requires players who can fit a different skills set. 

I see your point Ajja. But isn't the number 1 priority in football to score more goals than your opposition? The other nine or ten players are supposed to be there to ensure the ball keeps moving up the park and to keep it away from your own goal for as long as possible. If there's nobody up there who can put these opportunities away, then it's pretty pointless having the rest of the squad. Didn't Dunfermline get relegated one season because they'd had something like 20 draws? Proof that, whilst they were keeping opposition out, they just didn't have anyone upfront who was putting the ball away.

I'd much rather have a Kris Boyd type player who does very little else but CAN put the ball away time and time again than someone who does a lot of work in the buildup but scores once a month

it's the player in the build up that allows the like of kris boyd to score

That was my point! The rest of the players should be there to supply the buildup work. But if there's no player there that you can rely on to put those opportunities away, then all that buildup work is for nothing ... hence why we get so pissed off at Mackie and Maguire ... and now Miller!

No goals in over a month is not exactly what you'd expect from "Scotland's on-form striker".

That was my point! The rest of the players should be there to supply the buildup work. But if there's no player there that you can rely on to put those opportunities away, then all that buildup work is for nothing ... hence why we get so pissed off at Mackie and Maguire ... and now Miller!

No goals in over a month is not exactly what you'd expect from "Scotland's on-form striker".

The pish your speaking proves you don't watch us play (obviously I know it's hard for you to see the games). Miller is instrumental in almost everything we do. We NEED him in our team. We don't NEED him to be the goal scorer. It's the likes of Mackie and Bebo we need to profit from Millers excellent link up play and the space he creates for the strike partner.

I see your point Ajja. But isn't the number 1 priority in football to score more goals than your opposition? The other nine or ten players are supposed to be there to ensure the ball keeps moving up the park and to keep it away from your own goal for as long as possible. If there's nobody up there who can put these opportunities away, then it's pretty pointless having the rest of the squad. Didn't Dunfermline get relegated one season because they'd had something like 20 draws? Proof that, whilst they were keeping opposition out, they just didn't have anyone upfront who was putting the ball away.

I'd much rather have a Kris Boyd type player who does very little else but CAN put the ball away time and time again than someone who does a lot of work in the buildup but scores once a month

I can't believe there would be this type of post after we had just beaten Celtic 4-2.

As they say "You can't win them all" - and remember - we are Aberdeen, so it's more "You can't lose them all" with some of our fans

The pish your speaking proves you don't watch us play (obviously I know it's hard for you to see the games). Miller is instrumental in almost everything we do. We NEED him in our team. We don't NEED him to be the goal scorer. It's the likes of Mackie and Bebo we need to profit from Millers excellent link up play and the space he creates for the strike partner.

I wasnt up at the game so cant comment on it, but since the end of the year I dont think he has been playing as well as he was before then (outwith the Killie game where he got that double). And we do need him to be the main goal scorer as he is the best striker we have.

I wasnt up at the game so cant comment on it, but since the end of the year I dont think he has been playing as well as he was before then (outwith the Killie game where he got that double). And we do need him to be the main goal scorer as he is the best striker we have.

The games i've went to this season i've watched him closely. It's not just his link up play. But also the way he leads the line. He makes great runs across the ball, which no one else picks up on. It leaves yards and yards of space which you feel would be picked up on if Jamie Smith was there.

Most games Miller doesn't get the desired service. Yesterday he maybe should have scored with a header and was unlucky not to reach a great cross from Maguire. Days like this will inevitably happen.

I can't comment on his recent form, have only seen highlgihts. But yesterday anytime the ball was played to him he had Dods or Wilkies arm round his throat, or them climbing all over his back to stop him jumpnig for the ball. There is only so much he can do.

Incidentally the yellow card he got for diving (which i agreed with at the time) was not any less of a foul than Vidal seemed to be penalised for the whole game.

The ref had been pretty fair to Miller through the game. His form has dipped but I think the team has too, that said we played some good stuff yesterday and effectively played those cunts off the park, but insisted upon kicking our own balls. Miller is a good player but like any striker he needs chances made for him and, yesterday aside, we aren't makinn many despite having a lot of the ball.

The ref had been pretty fair to Miller through the game. His form has dipped but I think the team has too, that said we played some good stuff yesterday and effectively played those cunts off the park, but insisted upon kicking our own balls. Miller is a good player but like any striker he needs chances made for him and, yesterday aside, we aren't makinn many despite having a lot of the ball.

I have had a quick look at the man of the match points that I record and I think this graph is quite interesting as it shows good form so far this season.

Clipboard02-17.jpg

I can't believe there would be this type of post after we had just beaten Celtic 4-2

Scorers of that game? Duff, Diamond (x2) and McDonald. What no strikers scoring?!

So not being to Pittodrie in three years completely nullifies any argument I have about the way the game of football should be played? Whilst there is no doubt that Miller adds another dimension to our attack with his buildup play, I would rather have Miller sitting up the park doing fuckall if it meant he was putting the ball in the back of the net more often than he is.

Lets face it, all the buildup play in the world means fuckall if you don't have someone at the end of it to put the ball in the net. I don't need to see Aberdeen play to understand this crucial part of the game of football. If I remember rightly, Stavrum was hardly the most gifted "player" to pull on the red of Aberdeen. But WOW did he know how to hit the back of the net. Head, foot, knee, arse ... sometimes Stavrum didn't even know which part of his body was putting the ball in the back of the net. All he knew was that the ball WAS in the back of the net.

That's something our current crop of strikers (Miller included, if you think about the past month and a half) have sadly failed to realise.

Scorers of that game? Duff, Diamond (x2) and McDonald. What no strikers scoring?!

So not being to Pittodrie in three years completely nullifies any argument I have about the way the game of football should be played? Whilst there is no doubt that Miller adds another dimension to our attack with his buildup play, I would rather have Miller sitting up the park doing fuckall if it meant he was putting the ball in the back of the net more often than he is.

Lets face it, all the buildup play in the world means fuckall if you don't have someone at the end of it to put the ball in the net. I don't need to see Aberdeen play to understand this crucial part of the game of football. If I remember rightly, Stavrum was hardly the most gifted "player" to pull on the red of Aberdeen. But WOW did he know how to hit the back of the net. Head, foot, knee, arse ... sometimes Stavrum didn't even know which part of his body was putting the ball in the back of the net. All he knew was that the ball WAS in the back of the net.

That's something our current crop of strikers (Miller included, if you think about the past month and a half) have sadly failed to realise.

What a load of pap. Name a side in the world who have both their regular forwards consistently bagging goals.

Modern day football doesn't work like that.

Miller in vow to end goal drought

Lee aiming to get Aberdeen FC on road to Europe

Published: 28/02/2009

LEE Miller is determined to end his goal drought today and help Aberdeen FC stay on course for Europe.

Aberdeen striker Miller has failed to find the net in his last six outings.

Miller is desperate to end that run when they face Kilmarnock at Pittodrie in the SPL this afternoon.

“It’s frustrating not to have scored for so long,†said Miller, the club’s top scorer with 10 goals.

“But I’m always positive that will end in the next game, every striker goes through a tough patch.

“All I can do is keep giving 100% in every game and wait for the chances to come my way.â€

Miller knows getting back on the goal trail with Aberdeen FC would also boost his chances of leading Scotland’s attack in next month’s World Cup clash with Holland.

He said: “It would be great to get the nod for that game but I know it will depend on my form.â€