Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood in the Times

Copy of article in today's Times which makes interesting reading.

"My shelf life at Aberdeen may be close to expiry," says Jimmy Calderwood

Graham Spiers

Jimmy Calderwood admitted yesterday that his “shelf life†as Aberdeen manager was getting shorter by the month and that, whatever happens between now and the end of the season, the time was looming for him to consider a new challenge away from Pittodrie.

Calderwood and Aberdeen were still on a high yesterday after Sunday's epic 4-2 home win over Celtic, but it didn't stop the manager from reflecting on the career choices ahead of him. The 53-year-old is in his fifth season at Pittodrie and, despite having two-and-a-half years left on his contract, has doubts that he will be able to complete seven years in total as the Aberdeen manager.

“Five seasons in the modern game is a long time to be at one club,†Calderwood said. “This is a wonderful club, a fabulous club, but everyone needs fresh challenges. With every season that passes I think, 'My shelf life here is getting shorter and shorter.' You start thinking there is only so much you can do at one club.

“The secret is to keep freshening the squad up and getting new players in, and that aspect helps a wee bit. But I know the time is coming when I'll think, 'How much further can I take this club?' My contract says I've still got another two-and-a-half years to go here - it would make it a hell of a long time at the club.â€

There has been further speculation linking Calderwood with jobs in England and the Netherlands, and Utrecht have certainly made it known that they would like him to return. Calderwood says that he has rarely loved a job as much as at Pittodrie, and that leaving Aberdeen would be a wrench, though he can see the day coming.

“Right now we are sitting third in the league, and we've been in the top six all the time since I've been here - in fact we've finished fourth, sixth, third and fourth in my time at Aberdeen,†Calderwood said. “So it's not bad. We've been to the last 32 in Europe, and I would really love to get to a cup final and win a trophy.

“But four-and-a-half years seems a long time at a club. I think I'm now the longest-serving manager at Aberdeen since Sir Alex Ferguson was here, and you don't often see guys being four, five, six years at any club these days.

“Everyone faces choices, but you always need new challenges. Everybody has a shelf life. If we can stay in third place, and maybe get to a cup final, something like that would be great. But then I'd have to ask myself, how much further could I go?â€

Calderwood said that his own circumstances were brought home to him when he had a heated debate with Barry Nicholson, the midfield player, when he chose to leave Aberdeen at the end of last season.

“I had this debate with Barry when he left here. Barry said to me, 'Gaffer, I've seen every ground there is to see in Scotland, and I've seen them all at least ten times!' He wanted a change, and I couldn't argue with him, I understood him 100 per cent. Everybody needs freshness. I'm probably just the same.

“It would be hard for me, having been at Aberdeen, to go to certain clubs down in England. At Aberdeen you are used to chasing prizes and trying to get into Europe - that is the task facing you.

“I got an offer to go to Barnsley a couple of years ago but, no disrespect to them, but you cannot leave a club like Aberdeen for Barnsley. Having said that, you cannot get away from the shelf-life decision that faces you.â€

If it ain't broke Jimmy.

Two more seasons in Europe and a cheeky trip to Hampden to pick up silverware would clear our debt.  All of which I'm convinced he could bring us.  The board should do everything in their (limited) power to make sure this happens.

aye agree with ST think ill give you a +1 for that.

Calderwood said that his own circumstances were brought home to him when he had a heated debate with Barry Nicholson, the midfield player, when he chose to leave Aberdeen at the end of last season.

“I had this debate with Barry when he left here. Barry said to me, 'Gaffer, I've seen every ground there is to see in Scotland, and I've seen them all at least ten times!' He wanted a change, and I couldn't argue with him, I understood him 100 per cent. Everybody needs freshness. I'm probably just the same.

Wow, it sounds really heated, sounds like they were at each others throats.

I agree this doesn't sound good, almost touting himself for a move away.  Hopefully his comments have been taken out of context but I can't imagine the Times would stoop to the levels of the Sun and the Record to create a story during the build up to a game against the huns.

Jimmy must stay.  :(

Typical. Right before we play Rangers, who would have thought, though as has been mentioned, doesn't seem to be the Times' tactic. I would be happy for him to move on after this season if he wanted to. Providing that he won us the cup or the league ;)

bobo, I think that is tapping up? Should take Utrecht over the coals, though they may just claim they were talking as they are "friends".

that's pretty much what i thought, unless it's just been journalists phoning him and asking him if he's interested in it.

He's done an interview for the P&J as well and it seems that is the case. Says he hasn't heard directly from Utrecht, just from friends who have heard about the interest.

Seems the Times are playing the cunt here.

We really need someone in Utrecht who could shed some light on the rumours  :-\

The message boards in NL are definitely talking about him but they seem to stem from the British press rather than specific Dutch press. The fans all seem to want Co Adriaanse.

My opinion of working in the city is that they're a fucking mickey mouse outfit, supported by cunts, it would be a step down for Calderwood.

Is there not some rich consortium recently invested a fair bit in Utrecht? I'm sure I read somewhere they wanted to build Utrecht into a team capable of challenging for the league.

That would certainly present the "fresh challenge" Calderwood supposedly wants.

We really need someone in Utrecht who could shed some light on the rumours  :-\

The message boards in NL are definitely talking about him but they seem to stem from the British press rather than specific Dutch press. The fans all seem to want Co Adriaanse.

My opinion of working in the city is that they're a fucking mickey mouse outfit, supported by cunts, it would be a step down for Calderwood.

Completely agree, added to the fact that they are Huns...actually, Jimmy is definitely going.... ;)

The cynic in me sez that pish like this always gets sprayed about before infirm games, last week it was about miller being offski, now its calderwood being offski before the hun game.

On the other hand, if there is one time as a football manager to look for a bigger move, ie ingerlund then it is when your stock is high, like it is now with calderwood. However, yes calderwood has brought Aberdeen to being a respectable team again but, if he walks now he will always have the question of "could I actually have WON something with Aberdeen"?  Because to my mind a cup final place and being at least CLOSE to second is not unachievable.  Surely?