Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Coutts - I am proving Aberdeen wrong

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/932984

Paul has last laugh after Scotland U21 call-up

By Sean Wallace

Published: 12/11/2008

MIDFIELDER Paul Coutts reckons his Scotland Under-21 call-up proves Aberdeen were wrong to snub him.

Coutts was ditched by the Dons as a 15-year-old for being too small, but rebuilt his career at Cove Rangers.

The 20-year-old sealed a move to English Division 1 side Peterborough United in the summer from Cove.

Now a regular for the Posh, Coutts has been called up to the young Scots side to face Northern Ireland at New Hamilton Park, Hamilton on Tuesday.

He said: “Aberdeen let me go when I was 15 because they claimed I was too small.

“They thought I would not be able to get around the pitch because of that, which was disappointing.

“Now I am proving them wrong by playing regularly for Peterborough and being selected for the Scotland Under-21s.

“I am having the last laugh.â€

The 2007/08 Highland League Player of the Year was snapped up on a three-year deal by Peterborough gaffer Darren Ferguson in the summer.

And now he has his sights focused on starring for the young Scots, who also include Aberdeen’s Chris Maguire.

“Billy Stark called the gaffer and told him he had been to watch a few of our games and that he would include me in the next squad,†Coutts said.

“Hopefully I will get a run out against Northern Ireland. The Scotland call is a confidence boost, especially as I was playing Highland League a few months ago.

“I was determined to grab my chance and have now made 11 starts.

“Division 1 suits me because it is more geared towards the passing game.

“We are in the play-off positions so hopefully we can win promotion.â€

Saves them having to admit that 'We don't really know what we're doing, but we think you might be shit', i guess. Shame they've done that with a lot of decent players- was Shaun Maloney not allegedly on the books and given the heave-ho with the same facetious excuse?

Yes, Maloney was too small.

That and there were rumours about drugs, but i'm not so sure about them.

I wonder if "Sorry son, we're not going to offer a contract because you are too small" is actually the club's official way of letting youth players down gently and what they actually mean is "you're shite".

Nah a couple of my mates who have been released over the years have been told "you're not improving". I'd say thats the line they use.

It's also plausible that any jumped up little shite who gets heaved and wants to stick two fingers up when he makes it to the dazzling lights of Peterborough he will use a line like that to make the club look stupid while retaining his own dignity ? Just a thought, I'm feeling cynical today...I blame off topic.

Guest swaddon

I'm waiting....

Well, some believe he was pish, but he scored goals for us, and many of them. He certainly helped to keep us in the Premier League in '95, and you can't deny that.

Guest swaddon

He was my hero when i was younger, I just expected BB to jump in. He must have learnt some restraint ;D

Sorry, I thought you were one of those narrow-minded Dons fans who never forgave Doddsy for playing for Dundee United and Rangers.

Sorry, I thought you were one of those narrow-minded Dons fans who never forgave Doddsy for playing for Dundee United and Rangers.

Eh? I hated the cunt when he played for US, before he played for the other two. The fact he scored a small percentage of what he should have was a huge reason we were almost relegated in the first place. Cunt of a player.