Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Smith injured again

Smith injury concern for Aberdeen 

Smith (left) in action during Aberdeen's recent win over Ayr

Aberdeen could be without Jamie Smith for up to two weeks after the midfielder picked up a calf injury.

The 27-year-old was sidelined with a similar injury last season and is set to miss the upcoming matches against Hamilton and Dundee United.

Assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl told Red TV: "It's come at a bad time for him if it's any longer than two weeks. But we'll have to wait to find out."

Zander Diamond and Scott Severin are nearing a return from injury.

Midfielder Severin has not featured in Aberdeen's last two games while Diamond last played in the 1-0 victory over Motherwell on 16 August.

Nicholl added: "Scott Severin and Zander Diamond came back this morning in training. They were a very high standard as well - they were excellent."

Oh well see ya in the last few games of the season then jamie

Exactly what i was thinking. Good player on his day, but his days are few and far between. His injury situation is beginning to rival that of Scott Booth and Paul Bernard.

Yeah, we can ill afford one of our best, if not THE best paid player at AFC to be semi-permanently injured. I am well aware how shit our medics appear to be but as ST said, the guy must be made of fucking glass.

He really has to prove himself as more reliable this season and I know one wee calf injury doesn't mean he won't but it doesn't bode well.

Exactly what i was thinking. Good player on his day, but his days are few and far between. His injury situation is beginning to rival that of Scott Booth and Paul Bernard.

Aye, but I blame our medical staff for Booth.  Once he moved to the continent he was barely injured again.  Wasn't he given some sort of "special sock" to wear or was that a joke?

Aye, but I blame our medical staff for Booth.  Once he moved to the continent he was barely injured again.  Wasn't he given some sort of "special sock" to wear or was that a joke?

He turned up at Dortmund and within about 5 mins their medical guys spotted that he had one leg longer than the other. They modified his boots I believe to mean that he didn't have the same problems there as he had with us.

He turned up at Dortmund and within about 5 mins their medical guys spotted that he had one leg longer than the other. They modified his boots I believe to mean that he didn't have the same problems there as he had with us.

Everyone's got one leg longer than the other. It just affects some people's spine, hips, muscles, tendons etc more than others.

I heard he had one leg shorter than the other.

But you're spot on though.

Aluko in frame as Jamie is crocked

By Andrew Moir

Published: 10/09/2008

JAMIE Smith’s latest injury blow could open up the door for Sone Aluko to make his competitive Dons debut.

The winger could be sidelined for up to two weeks after he suffered a calf strain in training.

Jimmy Calderwood could turn to new recruit Aluko for Saturday’s clash with Hamilton at Pittodrie.

Assistant boss Jimmy Nicholl reckons the gaffer has a tough choice to make.

“Sone is a naturally-gifted wide player who could slot easily into Jamie’s place, but the manager has to decide if he’s ready,†said Nicholl.

“He hasn’t played a lot of games recently although he faced Fraserburgh in Derek Milne’s testimonial.

“The manager has other options, like Jeffrey de Visscher, in the squad.â€

Nicholl also told Smith to remain positive in his latest injury battle.

He added: “It looks as though it will be a few weeks before Jamie is back.

“I feel for him, but hopefully it’s not too serious in the long term.

“He won’t like be ruled out but he’s got to get through it and concentrate on returning to full fitness.â€

I'll ignore Paul 'worst £million spent ever' Bernard, but i reckon booth, even when he came back for that one(?) season, contributed far more than smith has. Even on his return Booth got what, 10 goals wasn't it over about 10-15 games or so? It's a bit lost in the murk of my memory I'm afraid.

I'll ignore Paul 'worst £million spent ever' Bernard, but i reckon booth, even when he came back for that one(?) season, contributed far more than smith has. Even on his return Booth got what, 10 goals wasn't it over about 10-15 games or so? It's a bit lost in the murk of my memory I'm afraid.

I think you've missed my point. Booth - and Bernard for that matter - were better players than Smith is. The point is that both were injured a helluva lot. As is Smith. You see?

more down to booths play one game then miss three through injury that ensured he didnt get a new contract.  Incidently not good enough for calderwood as booth was still available for a new deal when he took  over

That isn't right. Paterson didn't want him after Booth told him what he thought of him after a game midweek at Fir Park. Booth was fed up with the ball getting hit to him at throat height and was also despairing of Paterson's tactics. Booth was subbed after screaming at the bench to change the tactics, stormed up the tunnel then had a major barney with Paterson in the dressing room. He was told there and then he was finished at Aberdeen. And that came from one of the players playing that night.

That isn't right. Paterson didn't want him after Booth told him what he thought of him after a game midweek at Fir Park. Booth was fed up with the ball getting hit to him at throat height and was also despairing of Paterson's tactics. Booth was subbed after screaming at the bench to change the tactics, stormed up the tunnel then had a major barney with Paterson in the dressing room. He was told there and then he was finished at Aberdeen. And that came from one of the players playing that night.

Sounds about right.  A player I won't hear a bad word said against.

However, was it not JC that ultimately decided Booth was finished at Aberdeen?  He was still on the books when JC arrived?

No, he was told by Paterson that he wouldn't be here and then the fans went mental (remember the offer from the fans to pay his wages?). That was before Willie Miller came in and before JC came in. He was a free agent at that time, JC could have offered him something I suppose to re-sign him, but didn't. When you look at some of the numpties he's signed as strikers I'm not sure whether to be appalled or not at all surprised.

EDIT: I also think that by the time JC came in and they started looking at the squad/new players, he may well have gone to setanta already, but I'm not 100% sure. I do remember Hibs making an offer to him and he said that if that was the only offer he'd probably retire. Obviously wasn't keen on being part of the re-make of Brazil 1970...  ;D

I had a wee look into that and booth played the game after the minkerwell game but that was his last game in red.  Patersons run in was abysmall.  Lost the last 5 games on the trot.  Looking at it made me realise that however much i get annoyed with some of calderwoods tactics or player selection only 4 years ago things were fucking woefull!!!!