Fraserburgh v Aberdeen

Strong Dons side to face Broch for Milne testimonial

By Paul Third

Published: 08/09/2008

Lifelong Aberdeen supporter Derek Milne will celebrate 17 years as a Fraserburgh player tonight when he leads out his home town club against the Dons at Bellslea Park.

The 32-year-old, who began training with the Broch as a 15-year-old before making his debut at the age of 17, celebrates his testimonial against a strong Pittodrie side which will include new signings Sone Aluko, Tommy Wright and Jared Hodgkiss. Vice-captain Zander Diamond makes his return from injury.

Fraserburgh stalwart Milne admits the opposition could not have been any better than Jimmy Calderwood’s side although he had feared the Dons would not have been able to provide the opposition.

He said: “Aberdeen were my first choice as I’m a Dons fan. When I was younger I followed them regularly when they were close to winning titles.

“But once you are in the Highland League your Saturdays are taken up, so I haven’t seen them as much, although I have got to the odd Sunday or midweek game, while the European matches last season were really good.â€

Milne, who is captain of the Broch and one of the most experienced players in Charlie Duncan’s side, would love to add a second league championship winner’s medal to his collection but, right now, would settle for being in the title chase come the turn of the year.

He said: “This season we should be aiming to still be in the hunt at Christmas and looking to challenge.

“It would also be nice to get a Scottish Cup run and get some excitement back here. People have drifted away from the club a bit recently but if we can get a good tie we’ll get a bit of interest.â€

Milne has no plans on calling time on his career but insists he will still be a regular visitor to the club when he does eventually hang up his boots. He said: “I’m as fit as anyone and, as long as I stay injury-free, I would hope I have a few more seasons ahead of me.

“I’ve had 15 great years at this club and I’ve had a successful career. Once I am finished playing there will be many a Saturday I’ll be at Bellslea Park. I’ll take my kids and I’m sure I’ll be welcome.

“I can’t walk away from something I have been involved with for so long.â€

New Dons enjoy workout in Milne’s Bellslea tribute game

By Alex Martin

Published: 09/09/2008

Job done for the Aberdeen. A fitting tribute paid to one of the long-serving players who are the heart of the Highland League and, for Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood, a workout for new recruits Tommy Wright and Sone Aluko.

Calderwood’s men last night eased through their final preparation for a return to the SPL on Saturday.

Reasons to be cheerful for Derek Milne. After more than 14 years and almost 500 matches for Fraserburgh, it was a fitting reward for the 32-year-old to play and score in his testimonial against the team he has always supported.

Reasons to be cheerful, too, for the Aberdeen supporters, who travelled home happy with the return to the club of Aluko.

After the highlights of scoring against Bayern Munich in the Uefa cup last season, Bellslea Park was an unlikely setting for the second coming of the former England under-19 international. But with the likes of burly forward Wright joining Stuart Duff, Jeffrey de Visscher and Faroe Islands player Rogvi Holm  ??? in the starting XI, there was plenty at stake for the Dons as well. Places are up for grabs at home to Hamilton on Saturday but it was Fraserburgh who were quickest out of the blocks. In the first minute they won a penalty when William West was upended in the penalty area by Jared Hodgkiss, just arrived at the club on loan from West Brom. Allan Hale stepped up to take the spot kick and confidently sent goalkeeper John Bateman the wrong way.

Hodgkiss soon made amends for his error, launching the ball forward for Wright to flick on to captain for the night Chris Maguire. The return cross was perfect and the former Darlington forward powered in a header from 10 yards to restore parity. Seven minutes gone and two goals but still no sight of Aluko, who was operating in the centre of midfield.

Finally, Aluko made his mark with a perfectly delivered free kick from the right which Maguire got to first and flicked his header past Billy Gordon.

The Dons were in control of a match which soon lost its intensity and Michael Paton added a fine third Dons goal just before half-time with a curling effort from the edge of the penalty area. Wright took a clattering on the edge of the penalty area but Maguire was unable to exact retribution as his curling free kick from 20 yards clattered against the post.

Russell McBride pulled a goal back for Fraserburgh midway through the second period and suddenly a match which seemed to be a canter suddenly turned into a contest as Hodgkiss again conceded a needless penalty which Milne stepped up to hammer home.