Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The 3 most important signings/players...

1. Willie Miller

I found it impossible to exclude him on any criteria. He's our most successful captain, the heartbeat of our best side, arguably the best side in Europe for a couple of years. I don't know if my judgement is clouded because I was so young but I remember him winning games by sheer willpower, the definition of leading by example. 

2. Scott Severin

Whilst many would argue he doesn't deserve to be mentioned on the same page as Miller he was a statement of intent by the new management team. Very important because we were going nowhere. Currently vastly underestimated by many of our supporters.

3. Charlie Nic

Couple of points, he was a fantastic player and I think it shows the quality of Scottish football at the time that he has only 20 odd caps. That's not why I chose him.

Were our current Chairman to read this I would ask him to look back and find out what signing Nicholas did for attendance figures and for the general interest around the club. I could draw a  comparison, to a lesser extent, with the reaction to Aluko. I think it,a safe to say players like Nicholas out bums on seats and is a strong argument for the idea of speculate to accumulate.

Seems that most players mentioned are from the mid 70s up to the present day.  Are there any other Aberdeen players who'd arguably been an important part of the club's history.  For example, players from the hall of fame?

Henning Boel, Martin Buchan, Arthur Graham, Jim Hermiston, John Hewitt, Drew Jarvie, Fred Martin, Teddy Scott, Ally Shewan, Neil Simpson or Alec Young?

Don't know if anyone here's old enough to have seen many of these guys play, or even know much about them.

I'm going for:

Miller

Strachan

Weir

There are some great suggestions in this thread, and yeah we've signed some vital players that saved us from relegation.  But the 80s were a joy to watch so I've picked the two most entertaining players, who created so many of the chances for our strikers and were truly wonderful signings, as well as the on-field driving force of the whole era.

Mon the Dons!

Interested that many of you pick Strachan. He was my childhood hero and even though he is manager of Celtic to me he'll always be welcome back to Pittodrie in any capacity.

However, I don't see why he is in our top 3. As much as he was an influential midfielder, I don't see him being any more influential than any of the midfielders or forwards of the 80s trophy winning era. He did well, great skill, and scored many a good goal, but so did Mark McGhee, Peter Weir, Neil Simpson, Dougie Bell, Eric Black etc. He drifted in and out of games, was on form, off form - I voted WM as he was to an extent the rock which our team was built on.

Just my opinion.... which is wrong as usual no doubt.

On another note, after much thought I'd put Theo in our top three. Like most I was crushed when Leighton left but Theo was outstanding (and you could even argue he was better than Leighton.) After McCoist crushed his face he was a different player though.