Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jimmy searching for new Sone

Wide man is a must

By Andrew Moir

Published: 12/08/2008

JIMMY Calderwood today revealed he’s ready to lean on his friends in the English Premiership to land the next Sone Aluko.

The Dons boss had hoped to lure the Birmingham winger back to Pittodrie on loan but he’s now joined Blackpool for a month.

Calderwood is keen to add another wide man with a real cutting edge to his squad and is in the market for a starlet in the Aluko mould.

“It’s a blow that Sone has chosen to join Blackpool, ideally I’d love to get someone in like him,†said Calderwood.

“I’m lucky to have lots of contacts in England and I’m hoping the Premiership managers I know will do me a few favours.

“But that’s going to be hard to do because there aren’t too many lads in England who have Sone’s quality.

“There are wide midfield players out there we could easily get but not ones like Sone who can go past opponents for fun.

“I don’t really know anyone else in his mould with a similar touch and pace but that’s the type of player I’m after.â€

Calderwood still has two places left to fill in his senior squad and would love to land a double deal to lift the Pittodrie gloom following the opening day defeat to Inverness Caley.

But one player he does not reckon he will sign is Chelsea’s Jack Cork who will be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on a temporary basis.

He added: “Jack is more of a central defensive player and he has enough options down south so I wouldn’t imagine he would want to come to Scotland.

“But I still need to top up the squad as we’re short on numbers.

“Out of the 22 players I have, there are very young lads like Michael Paton, Sammy Stewart, Peter Pawlett and Stuart Smith.

“No disrespect to them but that means we only have a first team pool of 18 and that’s not enough to go through a full season.â€

Meanwhile, the Dons have been drawn away to Ayr United in the second round of the CIS League Cup.

Jimmy Calderwood’s men travel to face the Second Division promotion chasers at Somerset Park on Wednesday, August 27.

Second round draw: St Mirren v Dumbarton, Livingston v St Johnstone, Dundee v Partick Thistle, Ayr United v Aberdeen, Hibernian v Morton, Arbroath v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hamilton v Clyde, Cowdenbeath v Dundee United, Hearts v Airdrie, Raith Rovers v Falkirk, Dunfermline v Alloa, Brechin City v Kilmarnock.

Guest ally s

Whilst I agree Aluko was a very good player, he was also very inconsistant.  I think we need someone with a bit less flair and more consistancy.

But that’s going to be hard to do because there aren’t too many lads in England who have Sone’s quality

I'd disagree with that completely. There are plenty, you just don't have the contacts. I hope to hell he pulls something out of the bag because we're going to be struggling otherwise.

Guest ally s

Is it just me who reads it as he wants to bring in some older players with experience rather than bring in more young ones?

Would that be a bad thing?  ???

Would that be a bad thing?  ???

I know we like to read more into things coming from the club, but I didn't think we were doing it to fellow fans.

But in answer to your question, no it would not be a bad thing quite the opposite really! As long it's for positions we need.

On a side note, could it be a hint at the return of Anderson as was mentioned on another "chat" site.

Guest ally s

As much as I would love the Anderson rumour to be true I just can't see it materialising. I think he'll want to prove himself in the EPL/championship.

Wide man is a must

By Andrew Moir

Published: 12/08/2008

JIMMY Calderwood today revealed he’s ready to lean on his friends in the English Premiership to land the next Sone Aluko.

The Dons boss had hoped to lure the Birmingham winger back to Pittodrie on loan but he’s now joined Blackpool for a month.

Calderwood is keen to add another wide man with a real cutting edge to his squad and is in the market for a starlet in the Aluko mould.

“It’s a blow that Sone has chosen to join Blackpool, ideally I’d love to get someone in like him,†said Calderwood.

“I’m lucky to have lots of contacts in England and I’m hoping the Premiership managers I know will do me a few favours.

“But that’s going to be hard to do because there aren’t too many lads in England who have Sone’s quality.

“There are wide midfield players out there we could easily get but not ones like Sone who can go past opponents for fun.

“I don’t really know anyone else in his mould with a similar touch and pace but that’s the type of player I’m after.â€

Calderwood still has two places left to fill in his senior squad and would love to land a double deal to lift the Pittodrie gloom following the opening day defeat to Inverness Caley.

But one player he does not reckon he will sign is Chelsea’s Jack Cork who will be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on a temporary basis.

He added: “Jack is more of a central defensive player and he has enough options down south so I wouldn’t imagine he would want to come to Scotland.

“But I still need to top up the squad as we’re short on numbers.

“Out of the 22 players I have, there are very young lads like Michael Paton, Sammy Stewart, Peter Pawlett and Stuart Smith.

“No disrespect to them but that means we only have a first team pool of 18 and that’s not enough to go through a full season.â€

Meanwhile, the Dons have been drawn away to Ayr United in the second round of the CIS League Cup.

Jimmy Calderwood’s men travel to face the Second Division promotion chasers at Somerset Park on Wednesday, August 27.

Second round draw: St Mirren v Dumbarton, Livingston v St Johnstone, Dundee v Partick Thistle, Ayr United v Aberdeen, Hibernian v Morton, Arbroath v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hamilton v Clyde, Cowdenbeath v Dundee United, Hearts v Airdrie, Raith Rovers v Falkirk, Dunfermline v Alloa, Brechin City v Kilmarnock.

Seems confirmation that young lads wont be getting their chance again this season.

Or it could be interpreted as he's still planning on signing some players.

Yup - one or two as he has already said but wont be permanant signings but loan signings.  A squad of 20 is still not enough when we used 28 players last season, 25 the season before, 27 the year before and 27 in his first season.  Even with 4 young lads and new 2 lads still touch and go.

But bit late to start his search at this point.

Guest swaddon

If no younger players will ever get a chance in the first team under Jimmy, would it not be a good idea to save money and get rid of the youth policy altogether?

Guest swaddon

I was just being flippant.

Didn't one of our youth team that got released last season go on to sign for Celtic? With a few exceptions, not many crap players sign for Celtic.

K-9 says that only Maguire has made the step up under JC. One player out of several dozen youngsters that have been at the club. From here, it looks like he can't be arsed with the youth setup at all.

Why would they? They don't any other year. And "Big" Martin was sacked last year, so he's out the picture. Maybe it's Sir Fergie and Wenger he's on about now, but i'd assume their kids would be on £11k a week, just like the Spurs ones were...

I was just being flippant.

Didn't one of our youth team that got released last season go on to sign for Celtic? With a few exceptions, not many crap players sign for Celtic.

K-9 says that only Maguire has made the step up under JC. One player out of several dozen youngsters that have been at the club. From here, it looks like he can't be arsed with the youth setup at all.

On the flip side, name one youth player (other than Ryan Strachan, who we supposedly binned for having a bad attitude) that JC has released who has gone on to do anything in the game.

That's the last word on the subject then.

Moaning cunts.

The crux of the article seems to be;

1. We need a winger.

Correct.

2. They are difficult to get.

Correct.

3. He may have to look hire from in England.

Correct.

4. Aluko was alright.

Correct.

So it seems the only thing anyone has a problem with us him saying he has contacts.

That fact he got Aluko and Walker in the first place would suggest he has contacts.

Hmm, it seems like a vendetta to me. 2 weeks on holiday and this place turns into KKK. :))

Get a fucking grip boys.