Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Barren Mackie

Sorry to start a thread on this old chestnut, so to speak.

Was out yesterday with a couple of good mates, both big, big Dons lads and inevitably the conversation for a few hours turns to the Dismal Dons.  One of my mates got extremely worked up when discussing our strikers and Barren Mackie in particular.  Myself and the other lad had a laugh at the anger it was building in our mate and when I thought about it, I completely agreed with the guy. I did offer the view that I've come to accept Barren at Pittodrie simply because he knows he's on to a good thing. He'll never ask to leave us and managers seem to like him simply because he runs about like a fucking moron. So, taking all that into consideration, I just think "meh, he's here and always will be so .... ye know". But, last season although he was injured for a lot of it, and although he scored a couple of very important goals, his return was fucking dire.  With us signing another supposed target man (i'm presuming this cos Wright is a big fella), how the fuck can we expect to score goals next season?  What do managers see in this clown? The fact he's been with us for years and no one (that i can think of apart from a shit united) has wanted to sign him says a fair bit.

I don't particularly rate him as a player, but i really don't mind having Darren in the team. I suppose it's similar to what you mention, and i've just resigned myself to the fact that he'll always be about. After some of the important goals he's grabbed for us, I won't ever give the guy abuse.

Sorry to start a thread on this old chestnut, so to speak.

Was out yesterday with a couple of good mates, both big, big Dons lads and inevitably the conversation for a few hours turns to the Dismal Dons.  One of my mates got extremely worked up when discussing our strikers and Barren Mackie in particular.  Myself and the other lad had a laugh at the anger it was building in our mate and when I thought about it, I completely agreed with the guy. I did offer the view that I've come to accept Barren at Pittodrie simply because he knows he's on to a good thing. He'll never ask to leave us and managers seem to like him simply because he runs about like a fucking moron. So, taking all that into consideration, I just think "meh, he's here and always will be so .... ye know". But, last season although he was injured for a lot of it, and although he scored a couple of very important goals, his return was fucking dire.  With us signing another supposed target man (i'm presuming this cos Wright is a big fella), how the fuck can we expect to score goals next season?  What do managers see in this clown? The fact he's been with us for years and no one (that i can think of apart from a shit united) has wanted to sign him says a fair bit.

I started following the Dons when Harper's career was winding down, and like yourself I've seen a huge number of strikers come and go.  Mackie is probably in my top 5 worst strikers I've seen play in an Aberdeen shirt. 

Granted my views of him, and the team, are limited owing to my being on another continent, but I get to see a good few games on Redweb or, failing that, on some Chinese Channel using SOPCast and PPMate. And, unless Mackie only plays shite in the games I see, but plays great in the games I don't see, then I'd put him just behind the likes of Bird, Mike or Zdrilic as the player I'd least like to see trying to score our goals.

The single most important thing a striker can do, and even if it's the ONLY thing he can do, is have an eye for goal and have the composure to put the ball in the net when he gets the chance.

Duncan Shearer is the perfect example of a striker.  Mackie could outpace Shearer if Shearer was in a Ferrari and Barren had his feet tied together. Shearer wasn't the most skillful player ever, but he knew where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there, and how to put the ball in the net when it caught up with him.

Gillhaus was probably the best striker ever to wear a Red shirt, that I've seen. A Tim 'mate' of mine commented after a game at Pittodrie that 'We (The Tims) shit ourselves every time he got the ball, because we knew he was going to score'.

Any time I see Mackie collect the ball I'm of the mind that we've just wasted our chance.

He'd be amongst the first punted if I ever managed that side.  There's be a lot of players punted immediately, but Mackie would be one of the first.

He's just dreadful.

I started following the Dons when Harper's career was winding down, and like yourself I've seen a huge number of strikers come and go.  Mackie is probably in my top 5 worst strikers I've seen play in an Aberdeen shirt. 

Granted my views of him, and the team, are limited owing to my being on another continent, but I get to see a good few games on Redweb or, failing that, on some Chinese Channel using SOPCast and PPMate. And, unless Mackie only plays shite in the games I see, but plays great in the games I don't see, then I'd put him just behind the likes of Bird, Mike or Zdrilic as the player I'd least like to see trying to score our goals.

The single most important thing a striker can do, and even if it's the ONLY thing he can do, is have an eye for goal and have the composure to put the ball in the net when he gets the chance.

Duncan Shearer is the perfect example of a striker.  Mackie could outpace Shearer if Shearer was in a Ferrari and Barren had his feet tied together. Shearer wasn't the most skillful player ever, but he knew where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there, and how to put the ball in the net when it caught up with him.

Gillhaus was probably the best striker ever to wear a Red shirt, that I've seen. A Tim 'mate' of mine commented after a game at Pittodrie that 'We (The Tims) shit ourselves every time he got the ball, because we knew he was going to score'.

Any time I see Mackie collect the ball I'm of the mind that we've just wasted our chance.

He'd be amongst the first punted if I ever managed that side.  There's be a lot of players punted immediately, but Mackie would be one of the first.

He's just dreadful.

Actually funny you mentioned Shearer and Gillhaus, everyone came back to my flat and we watched old DVDs of the Dons destroying everyone in sight in the late 80's and early 90's and the question was asked around the room, "Who'd you pick, Shearer or Gillhaus?"  Personally I went for big Dunc, simply cos he could finish from anywhere, Gillhaus was the better footballer no doubt, but Big Dunc was something else.

Anyway, I digress, Mackie's contract is up for renewal at the end of the season. People (myself included) have suggested he'll score loads to get a new contract, but lets face it, he won't. But he'll be here next season too, expecting a fucking testimonial. EFF EFF ESS. Football is shite these days.

Anyway, I digress, Mackie's contract is up for renewal at the end of the season. People (myself included) have suggested he'll score loads to get a new contract, but lets face it, he won't. But he'll be here next season too, expecting a fucking testimonial. EFF EFF ESS. Football is shite these days.

One testimonial I will definitely not be attending! Barren is arguably the least skilful striker ever to wear a dons strip. Even though there have been some poor forwards over the years, I don't remember any others lacking the basics of ball control and passing ability.

Have to agree about the Shearer/Gillhaus debate. Shearer falls into the same category as Harper and McDougal, natural goal scorers, Although Hans partnering any one of those three would terrorise every defence  in Scotland.

And to think there was a time we could sit 1-0 down with five minutes to go against ANY Scottish Premier team. We could look to the bench and see Duncan Shearer and Dean Windass sitting there, scratching their nads. We could call either one onto the pitch, and there was a strong likelihood that we'd WIN the match.

Cannae say that about any of our subs these days. I certainly would never say that about Mackie! He had his golden year in the 2001/02 season. We should've flogged him the following season when Cardiff came a-knocking.

He had his golden year in the 2001/02 season.

Surely 06/07 was his best season seeing as the thread is about his lack of goals?

Wouldn't surprise me if he gets double figures this season.

I also think he's a better option than Bebo, who at 19 is not making the breakthrough that Mackie was at that age (2001/02 season).

I still think he's a useful squad player providing we have a couple of good strikers who are better than him and more deserving of a starting place.

Presume that JC is clinging on to the notion that if he can find an effective target man who can not only jump up in the air, occassionally get his head onto the ball but more critically, actually direct it to the feet of a penalty box striker that we might get some more goals from the likes of bebo and Mackie. Its a long shot but with our resources might be the only one we have at present  >:(

I don't rate Mackie as a player at all, but he's a dandy and he always gives his all for the cause. He frustrates the hell out of me because he seems to miss the easiest chances by the barrow load. But then again he scored one of the most important goals in our recent history, but that was again only one of 50 or so goals he's scored for us which is pathetic given the period its over. I think basically he's good to have around the place ;)

Mackie, whilst a hard worker and a big dons fan, is simply not good enough for us.

he wasn't even the best player at Colony Park when he signed for the dons, just the fastest

Met a guy who played with him at School and said the exact same think for when he was at School

he is

[move]FAST...                                            FAST...                                              FAST...[/move]

though.

Maybe he should have taken up athletics - but maybe he's a late bloomer and will have a cracking injury free season this year and get at least 15-20 goals.  I'll go for the latter - come on Daz - do us proud!

get a grip ye bam!

maq is spot on... He's simply not good enough for us!!! 

Nothing like a meaningless pre-season schedule to get Dons fans back to their dream-filled ways - never mind players fitness levels, maybe that's the real reason for pre-season - to get fans dreams of over-achievment back up to speed!

;) ;) ;)

exactly what i said at the peterhead game.

he struggled to out pace Bobby Mann FFS

Aye smoking will soon kill your electric pace.

Any of us could literally do what Mackie does, run our heart out for the team and get stuck into defenders. He has absolutely no skill whatsoever. I worry where the goals are coming from this season.

Do we have to have this thread every 3 months?

He's proved in the past he can score 13 and 15 goals in a season.

We're stuck with him until we get somebody better.  Tommy Wright might be the man, but by all accounts he could be a similar type player to Lee Miller.

Do we have to have this thread every 3 months?

He's proved in the past he can score 13 and 15 goals in a season.

We're stuck with him until we get somebody better.  Tommy Wright might be the man, but by all accounts he could be a similar type player to Lee Miller.

1. maybe theres a reason theres a thread like this every 3 months - mackie is mince. I actually noticed that all 3 AFC fans boards have one at the moment.

2. yes he has scored in the past but does this mean we have to wait fro the next time he does it and put up with the headless chicken routine till such time arrives.

3. not stuck with him at all. I'd rather play Maguire or put Jamie smith in just behind Lee Miller.

1. maybe theres a reason theres a thread like this every 3 months - mackie is mince. I actually noticed that all 3 AFC fans boards have one at the moment.

A. Well why not just dig out the old thread and continue it?

2. yes he has scored in the past but does this mean we have to wait fro the next time he does it and put up with the headless chicken routine till such time arrives.

B. Until such time as the management/board feel he's surplus to requirements, it would seem so

3. not stuck with him at all. I'd rather play Maguire or put Jamie smith in just behind Lee Miller.

C. You're not the manager though, thank f*ck for that

A. Well why not just dig out the old thread and continue it?

B. Until such time as the management/board feel he's surplus to requirements, it would seem so

C. You're not the manager though, thank f*ck for that

wow, great response.

tell me what would you rather we did? continue with Mackie perhaps?

wow, great response.

tell me what would you rather we did? continue with Mackie perhaps?

No, I'd personally play Maguire and Miller up-front.  I think there's potential there and a good partnership could come out of it if they're given a run of games together.

I'm not a fan of Mackie's, never rated the lad but I'm in agreement with Kowalski's post.  Point in bringing up the same thread over and over again?  I might go dig up my 'Donstalk in a thread' post from a while back.  :wave:

Anyway, KKK-chat blocked at your work or something?  ;D

No, I'd personally play Maguire and Miller up-front.  I think there's potential there and a good partnership could come out of it if they're given a run of games together.

I'm not a fan of Mackie's, never rated the lad but I'm in agreement with Kowalski's post.  Point in bringing up the same thread over and over again?  I might go dig up my 'Donstalk in a thread' post from a while back.  :wave:

Anyway, KKK-chat blocked at your work or something?  ;D

Well, I made the thread after i'd had a few drinks and as I said it was fresh in my memory cos I'd been talking to a couple of fellow Dons fans about it, that's all. It's not a crime, and if you're so fed up with it, why continue to post in it and keep the thread alive?  I think as it's pre-season and there is transfer moves abound, it's a valid point to discuss him and whether we could get rid of him and indeed get someone better in.

Why people have to act all hurt about it is beyond me.

Agreed, Bobby. Just because this topic has been brought up before, doesn't mean we're not allowed to bring it up again. Fact of the matter is, time and time again the topic of Mackie being as much use as a chocolate fireguard has been brought up. Yet, the fucker is still on our books! He's not a striker. He's not a footballer! He's an athlete who can (once upon a time) run pretty fast. With the amount of chances that boy has had each time he plays, he should be into the 20s each season!

To me, he's the last piece of the poison that brought Aberdeen to its knees in the early 2000s. We got rid of the likes of the Young brothers (albeit we took one back), Ryan Esson, Kevin Rutkiepish, Jamie McAllister, etc. These boys were a cancer upon AFC, as all of them just sat on a pretty decent wage and did next to fuck all because they were local loons who thought they were big fish in small ponds. They were more about the Saturday night on the town than the Saturday afternoon on the pitch. We managed to weed them all out, except for Mackie. It's about time we got rid of him. I'm certain Inverness, Killie or Dundee would love to grab him for their squads. They're welcome to him, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, Bobby. Just because this topic has been brought up before, doesn't mean we're not allowed to bring it up again. Fact of the matter is, time and time again the topic of Mackie being as much use as a chocolate fireguard has been brought up. Yet, the fucker is still on our books! He's not a striker. He's not a footballer! He's an athlete who can (once upon a time) run pretty fast. With the amount of chances that boy has had each time he plays, he should be into the 20s each season!

To me, he's a scapegoat to a lot of fans and always will be (not necessarily to you Reekie) who has a better scoring record than Lee Miller.  He's not a brilliant player but we're stuck with him for the time being.