Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Maguire wanted by Coventry

Guest swaddon

This must be the first time in AFC history that we have offered a  player a contract extension more than 6 months before their current deal runs out!

It's a refreshing change offering a player a new deal this early. It's also nice to see Milne not jumping at the first quick buck to come his way.

This would suggest that the abilities, efforts and competence of the Director of Football and the board are less than ideal. I agree totally.

I'd get rid, to be honest. £300k would see us net Niculae no probs, especially if this all swings into action before Euro 2008 kicks off.

Calderwood is currently doing his utmost to turn Maguire into another Darren Mackie, anyway: all pace and persistence, no skill or technique whatsoever. All of the early promise shown by Maguire has been replaced by a striker who constantly harries defenders when they are in possession, and an apparent aversion to creativity when in possession himself.

Not saying that it's his fault; just that under Calderwood, he won't turn out to be the kind of player that we're hoping for.

This would suggest that the Manager isn't the best either. Agree with this also.

Maguire has got something though. He sniffed out some crucial late winners. He's still young. He has pace. His shooting can be very wayward but early days.

ABERDEEN have offered Chris Maguire a new deal to fend off interest in the talented teen.

Coventry City have been linked with a £300,000 swoop for the 19-year-old Dons striker.

But Willie Miller today said the Scotland youth cap, who is in the final year of his contract, is not for sale at any price.

:clap:  ;D

I know I'm very much in the minority, but I'm happy Maguire is apparently "not for sale".

Maguire is always one of the best players in Aberdeen and Scotland U19's games. He has alot of potential which he has shown when he is actually played in position and not on the wing. I agree with rocket that ...

Maguire has got something though. He sniffed out some crucial late winners. He's still young. He has pace. His shooting can be very wayward but early days.

Alot of people appear to have short memories as seem to have already forgotten it was Maguire who scored the 2 goals against Falkirk to take us into the Top 6, as well as the late winner at ICT the previous game.

Maybe it is fortunate that he is confident, possibly arrogant. He will need it to cope with the boo boys, and girls, within the Aberdeen "support".

The criticism he got on these internet forums was evidence of feeble minds. Like Duff, JDV and Mair, some internet experts think its cool to criticise players before they've had two consecutive full games.

However, the booing that Mackie got when subbed v. Motherwell was the worst embarrassment I've ever had as a Dons fan. It is obviously the younger "fans" who are capable of this, but I wonder if role of the internet assists them lose their tiny minds?

Nah, probably just another symptom of the gas generation.

I think the issue with Maguire is that he is still very much learning on the job. In years gone by the squad would have been big enough and good enough so that Maguire wouldn't have been blooded so early. When guys like Booth and Jess came through they were fairly accomplished when they made their debuts.

I think the issue with Maguire is that he is still very much learning on the job. In years gone by the squad would have been big enough and good enough so that Maguire wouldn't have been blooded so early. When guys like Booth and Jess came through they were fairly accomplished when they made their debuts.

You're right but I'm trying to remember why Jess and Booth never really looked raw. Jess was 18 I think when he banged them in at the old East End Park in a 4-1 win in November 1990. (Trust me, I'm not one of these anal date and stats keepers, but there is a good reason for me remembering this one).

On the other hand, Neale Cooper was 16 when he came on at Anfield, and Yonny Hewitt and Andy Dornan were thrown in at 17.

In England, Rooney and Walcott were bled young and whilst these two are exceptional talents, I reckon the best managers, particularly confident ones who are not afraid to make mistakes, believe that if they're good enough, they're old enough.

Another view regarding "learning on the job" with regard to football might be "learn what"? They know the rules. Lets not get too scientific and just let them out to play, to express themselves and use their natural youthful exuberance and pace to fly at the game. Obviously with experience comes crunch-avoidance skills and knowledge of your team-mates and when and where to release them etc., but throwing them in to the deep end will establish if they have the mentality to sink or swim.

Josh Walker aged 18 ran the show v. Hamilton on his AFC debut, where it appears certain AFC stalwarts got their noses out of joint. The best and most exciting youngster I saw in recent years, all the back to Kenny Miller at Hibs, was an AFC reject called David Templeton. He was 15 when AFC said he was too small, and went to Stenhousemuir. I was going through a "can't take this shite every week" phase at Pittodrie for a while and went to Montrose v Stenny and with 25 minutes to go, this 16 year old Templeton came on. He was amazing. Quick and able to run with the ball glued to his feet, with a sublime touch. They won 2-0 and I thought I was witnessing a star in the making. I heard he went to Hearts last year so its a name i'm looking out for.

Youth should not be a barrier. Maguire has something. It's why others are rumoured to be after him. It's why I despair at "fans", on the internet, probably computer game enthusiasts - the most unconstructive use of time and waste of energy ever devised by feeble minds for feeble minds - people with virtual perspectives, who criticised Maguire so heavily before he had even had three full games under his belt. I wouldn't normally give a fuck what these gas people think, but when they get in the road on an ABERDEEN FC chat site, they just need to be kicked in the head.

Maguire is worth another few years contract on peanuts.... as someone said earlier, the lad has a wee bit about him - enough to suggest he might make it as footballer in a couple of years.

Give him a contract similar to Stuart Duffs and we'll see if he develops over the next couple of years.  Doesn't represent much of a gamble in my opinion.

Still think he should have a spell up at Peterhead or somewhere similar.  Show him what could happen if he starts playing the big time Charlie off the park and doesn't knuckle down to becoming it on the park.

For one of the 'gallus' West Coasters that aren't as nice as all the local lads, he sure is a bit of a fairy.  Ship him out for 6 months to toughen him up, give him regular games and to get a bit of mud on his frosted tips.

Im quite pleased that we are planing on keeping bebo.  I've always seen him as someone who is capable of a little bit of flair.  Next season is a big one for him though, needs to turn potential into goals and assists.  If he does that we'l have a really good player..................  heres hoping!

I don't see the value of shipping players off to lower leagues. We are not Man Utd who have 50+ professional players. When has this actually benefitted us? Mackie/Stewart?? Players get better playing with better players and surely our 1st team and reserves can give the skill/physical/tactical development he needs. Aren't our coaches supposed to be better that lower league coaches so staying with us should further the players development in my opinion??

Can't think of any examples where it's worked but there's boiund to be some.

Understand the logic of giving regular starts to players, but isn't that what the reserves is for? It's not as if our squad is that big.

Williw Miller to Peterhead and Jim Leighton to Deveronvale  ;)

I don't see the value of shipping players off to lower leagues. We are not Man Utd who have 50+ professional players. When has this actually benefitted us? Mackie/Stewart?? Players get better playing with better players and surely our 1st team and reserves can give the skill/physical/tactical development he needs. Aren't our coaches supposed to be better that lower league coaches so staying with us should further the players development in my opinion??

Just looks embarressing when he gets brushed off the ball so easily.  In fact I'd say dumped on his arse was probably closer to the truth.

Look at all the young loan signings we've had come here this season.  I'm sure they'll have enjoyed their time and gained a lot more experience than if they were picking up bit parts here and there.

I agree though, it is the same but different as they probably weren't going to be as involved in the first team as Bebo is.  But 10 minutes stuck on the wing isn't going to do much good either.