Sammy Stewart

Starnge i used to be mates with a guy with the same name, he is in his 20s though and in the army so not him.

Hopefully this lad does well at youth and reserve level, also hope he can make a quick step up and challenge for the first team.

Stewart on his way

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

By Stuart McKinley

Glenavon will this week cash in on their teenage starlet Sammy Stewart.

The 17-year-old has agreed terms with Scottish Premier League side Aberdeen after the Lurgan Blues accepted their offer for the player.

And Stewart will now finalise the deal that will take him to Scotland as soon as the relevant people at Aberdeen have returned from holiday.

The Mourneview Park side are understood to have agreed a fee in the region of £15,000 for the player, with future payments coming through add-ons connected to appearances and possible international call-ups.

It has been a swift rise to success for Stewart, who only broke into the Glenavon first-team during the most recent campaign.

Although the club struggled in the lower reaches of the table, he was one of their shining lights and held down his place in the team.

Stewart now follows Michael McKerr into full-time football after he left Glenavon this time last year to sign for Birmingham City.

sammy_stewart_267134g.jpg

He can also score screamers

Cliftonville hit back just three minutes later when Declan O'Hara powered home a header but, just when the home side sensed a way back into the tie, young Sammy Stewart immediately produced an outrageous long-range strike which soared past Connolly and into the top corner.

Nicholl tipping Stewart for a bright future

ABERDEEN assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl believes Sammy Stewart can make a name for himself in the Scottish Premiership.

The Glenavon midfielder is expected to complete a move to Pittodrie this week after both clubs agreed terms on Friday.

The 17-year-old impressed in a trial with the Dons earlier in the year, prompting boss Jimmy Calderwood to plunge for the youth international.

“I only found out on Friday we had got the lad so I am delighted a deal has been done,†Nicholl said.

“He is a great acquisition, and hopefully now he can go on and grasp the opportunity. We saw enough in Sammy’s trial spell with us earlier in the year to make a move for him, and the fact he is only 17 means he has a long future ahead of him.

“But we think we have signed a very good player, so hopefully Sammy can build on that.â€

Stewart (below) caught the eye of a number of scouts following some blistering displays for Glenavon this season.

And for Nicholl, the talented teenager has all the attributes to make a name for himself in the Scottish Premiership.

“He knows how the game is played. He knows what positions to get into and he is aware of players around him. He has a very good footballing brain. He is also a good size and he will develop,†the Dons’ assistant boss said.

“Now it is entirely up to the player how far he wants to go. Once he gets used to full-time football and the demands put upon him, then it will be up to Sammy to push himself to greater heights.

“If he can get a good pre-season under his belt then there is no reason why he can't break into the first team, because opportunities will arise.â€

Nicholl said the signing of Stewart is another indicator that clubs on the mainland are scouring the Irish League for talent.

“People are quick to say you can be a good player in the Irish League but it’s a different thing playing on the mainland, but that is rubbish,†he said.

“If you like what you see then there is no reason why you shouldn’t go for that player. Sometimes people undermine the Irish League but we will keep monitoring the talent coming through.â€

Another former Irish League player who caught the eye of Scottish scouts was Lisburn Distillery striker Andrew Waterworth who secured a New Year move to Hamilton Academicals.

And it was a positive move for the Northern Ireland Under 21 international, helping the Accies to promotion to the Premiership.

“Andy was another player we tried to get but unfortunately it didn’t work out,†Nicholl said.

â€But he seems to be doing well, and no doubt I’ll see more of him next season.â€

Dont get too excited by that. Ricky Foster's scored 1 or 2 in the last season or two!

And I get shit for being negative.......... ::)

Aw Jesus! He's one of these fannies that gets cold and wears wet suits under his strip!

A few players wear them, david weir also has one similar to his in the picture.

I like the look of this kid already, from the pictures doesna look too lightweight like the kids up here already and has decent hair.

I like the look of this kid already, from the pictures doesna look too lightweight like the kids up here already and has decent hair.

You came out of the closet?  ???

I think he looks like heppy in this photo

w2yv5.jpg  :wave: