Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen-mad - Aberdeen Journals Boycott

Stand Free Ed, I completely understand why you are boycotting, however, I disagree it should be over this incident. As Kowalski said, it was on the letters page. The P&J shouldn't censor what has been written, despite how untruthful. I'm sure they know how well behaved Aberdeen fans were, everyone does. Just deluded bitter and twisted huns think otherwise, and I couldn't care less. We have the moral high ground on all levels. In fact, you could say it allows everyone to laugh at how stupid they really are. I'm sure it was included to spark a debate/response which it has. The P&J doesn't berate fans like the EE does.

Why should Aberdeen fans have to defend themselves after huns run riot in Manchester?

They don't have to. It's only thicko's that feel they have to defend themselves where no accusation from any sane person has been made. Just because some fruit in Alford speaks shite, doesn't mean we have to defend ourselves. How about the objective of extracting some smart put down's of the fruit?

Neither of those letters are principally defending Aberdeen fans. They are mainly concerned with pointing out the shite that the fruit spoke, so a debate has been started.

A couple of responses to the original letter:

To suggest the P&J should research all 'facts' written in on their letters page seems a bit silly to me, the letters page is just that - letters from the public, not journalism.  The original letter has sparked some good responses above, which was all it needed.

They shouldn't need to research anything, if Aberdeen fans were involved with trouble in Munich, they would know about it. No-one's going to blame them for printing a letter with incorrect statements they were unaware of, but I'm certain that the editor of the P&J would know for a fact there was no trouble in Munich without the need for research but went ahead and printed it anyway.

Stand Free Ed, I completely understand why you are boycotting, however, I disagree it should be over this incident. As Kowalski said, it was on the letters page. The P&J shouldn't censor what has been written, despite how untruthful. I'm sure they know how well behaved Aberdeen fans were, everyone does. Just deluded bitter and twisted huns think otherwise, and I couldn't care less. We have the moral high ground on all levels. In fact, you could say it allows everyone to laugh at how stupid they really are. I'm sure it was included to spark a debate/response which it has. The P&J doesn't berate fans like the EE does.

Yep totally agree.

I am wondering whether Mr Ferguson had meant to say "Madrid" instead of "Munich".  In which case, he may have had a point, but as we know there were lots of contributing factors in Madrid.

A couple of responses to the original letter:

To suggest the P&J should research all 'facts' written in on their letters page seems a bit silly to me, the letters page is just that - letters from the public, not journalism.  The original letter has sparked some good responses above, which was all it needed.

Eggs-actly.

Okay, but letters pages censor letters all the time - in fact, every letter is censored as it is edited by the sub-editors for any number of reasons. Check the disclaimer on every newspaper/magazine's letters page - it will be something like: "The newspaper reserves the right to edit any letters published."

And you're right, it will have been included to spark a debate/response. As I said in an earlier post on this thread:

the decision to print the letter at all was either because a) the editorial team of the P&J agrees with its sentiments, or b) they want to wind up a storm ahead of the Aberdeen-Rangers game in order to give them plenty of juicy scandal to report on next week. Neither is appropriate for a local broadsheet in my opinion, and both show a dearth of journalistic integrity.

So yes, as you said, they included the letter to spark a response. My response was my comment article on Aberdeen-Mad.

They shouldn't need to research anything, if Aberdeen fans were involved with trouble in Munich, they would know about it. No-one's going to blame them for printing a letter with incorrect statements they were unaware of, but I'm certain that the editor of the P&J would know for a fact there was no trouble in Munich without the need for research but went ahead and printed it anyway.

Yes, true, but where's the problem? He knew what he was doing. He was airing and exposing a bitter twisted view with a contextual irrelevance. It stimulated response, as it was designed to do. How has the P & J done anything wrong? They haven't. To suggest that they have, and start a "campaign", is just bullshit.

the decision to print the letter at all was either because a) the editorial team of the P&J agrees with its sentiments, or b) they want to wind up a storm ahead of the Aberdeen-Rangers game in order to give them plenty of juicy scandal to report on next week. Neither is appropriate for a local broadsheet in my opinion, and both show a dearth of journalistic integrity.

a) Wrong

b) Wrong

You have your own reasons for wanting to have a go at Aberdeen Journals. You're talking shite.

The P & J in particular is very representative of the views of North East people.

NE people are parochial. The bigotry of the wos is sectarian, the bigotry of the NE is parochialism.

Our ancestors, even one generation up, hated Celtic and Rangers equally, and everything central belt was regarded with suspicion and distaste.

Whilst this may have changed slightly, as any person with a west coast accent will tell you, there is still a huge narrow minded contingent in the NE.

The same bigoted, anti-anything that isn't NE, is still prevalent. The P & J, with sublime subtlety on occasion, often panders to this narrow mind.

Many people in the NE have not lived elsewhere in Scotland, let alone the world. Insularity breeds suspicion and contempt.

The really vociferous objectors to the P & J do not understand it, but by screaming about it, reveal their true origins.

The P & J in particular is very representative of the views of North East people.

NE people are parochial. The bigotry of the wos is sectarian, the bigotry of the NE is parochialism.

Our ancestors, even one generation up, hated Celtic and Rangers equally, and everything central belt was regarded with suspicion and distaste.

Whilst this may have changed slightly, as any person with a west coast accent will tell you, there is still a huge narrow minded contingent in the NE.

The same bigoted, anti-anything that isn't NE, is still prevalent. The P & J, with sublime subtlety on occasion, often panders to this narrow mind.

Many people in the NE have not lived elsewhere in Scotland, let alone the world. Insularity breeds suspicion and contempt.

The really vociferous objectors to the P & J do not understand it, but by screaming about it, reveal their true origins.

For once I wholeheartedly agree.

That is not something specific to the NE R_S, far from it in fact.

No, not specific to the NE, but particularly prevalent i.e. especially in the NE compared to the major conurbations, where the bulk of Scots live.

It's probably even more pronounced in lesser populated areas again, but I haven't lived in lesser populated areas than the NE, only more populated.

fatjim is right, as I'm sure you are alluding to, that the whole country is parochial. It is probably a common human condition, worldwide.