Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jackie Mac to join the Bairns

BBC Scotland has learned that the former Aberdeen and Celtic defender Jackie McNamara will sign for Falkirk later this week.

McNamara was released from his contract at Pittodrie at the end of last month after less than a season.

The 34-year-old, capped 34 times for Scotland, has had his career hampered by injuries.

He now looks set to join up with his former Celtic teammate John Hughes at the Falkirk Stadium.

After leaving the north east last month, McNamara hinted that he would like to continue playing and take his first steps into management.

"I'd like to keep playing for another year and I'm also interested in doing some coaching," he told The Scotsman.

"My main aim now is to be able to enjoy my football, whether it is playing, coaching or both."

He is past it and will not do well. This obsession that because a player plays badly for us and is released (correctly so) that he will automatically play well against us is childish and silly and it stops now...OK ?

Confirmation that he's signed:

Falkirk complete McNamara swoop

Former Celtic and Aberdeen defender Jackie McNamara has signed for Falkirk.

McNamara was released from his contract at Pittodrie at the end of last month after less than a season.

The 34-year-old, capped 34 times for Scotland, has had his career hampered by injuries and made just 17 starts for the Dons.

He now looks set to join up with his former Celtic team-mate John Hughes at the Falkirk Stadium.

After leaving the Pittodrie last month, McNamara hinted that he would like to continue playing and take his first steps into management but has signed a two-year deal with the Bairns.

"I played with John at Celtic - in fact I travelled with him for over a season," he said.

"He is well respected in the game and I am looking forward to working with him again."

The Falkirk manager was equally delighted to have secured the experienced defender.

"Jackie is different class. The ultimate professional, who can play in a number of positions," Hughes told the club website.

"For the youngsters at the club it will be brilliant to train and play with him.

"Jackie has bags of experience at international level and importantly experience in big games and of winning things, something we will need at Falkirk if we are to kick on and take the club to the next level."

The Bairns have also completed the signing of Dermot McCaffrey from Hibernian.

The 22-year old has put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

I'm sick of hearing all this "ultimate professional" pish about him. An ultimate professional would have moved to the Aberdeen area rather than commuting from Edinburgh  :hammer:

And wouldn't have stormed off in the huff after being subbed (deservedly so) in 2 games then petulantly running up tunnel instead of staying and giving his team mates support.

I'm sick of hearing all this "ultimate professional" pish about him. An ultimate professional would have moved to the Aberdeen area rather than commuting from Edinburgh  :hammer:

according to a student poster on other boards JAckie MAc lived in the flat above him in Bannermill place.

And wouldn't have stormed off in the huff after being subbed (deservedly so) in 2 games then petulantly running up tunnel instead of staying and giving his team mates support.

Perfect answer K-9. :thumbsup:

He is past it and will not do well. This obsession that because a player plays badly for us and is released (correctly so) that he will automatically play well against us is childish and silly and it stops now...OK ?

Perfect answer  :thumbsup:

and we will still persist with the high ball against them

???

according to a student poster on other boards JAckie MAc lived in the flat above him in Bannermill place.

I remember him saying he had a flat in Aberdeen, but he hadn't used it enough.

Will be interesting to see if the injuries subside on the shorter commute, or if that was just a pish excuse.

we will continue to play the high ball game, calderwoods basically already said that by his view to signing "a team of giants" ala dunfermline 02/03 season!

Yippee  :thumbsup:

Thing was I remember sitting watching Calderwood's giant Dunfermline players totally pishing on Aberdeen's strikers a few seasons back. Even after we went ahead it was clear that we were struggling to match them physically, and in the second half they took us apart.

If calderwood wants to sign giant lummoxes then that's fine by me, because I remember wishing to christ we had players like that.

Thing was I remember sitting watching Calderwood's giant Dunfermline players totally pishing on Aberdeen's strikers a few seasons back. Even after we went ahead it was clear that we were struggling to match them physically, and in the second half they took us apart.

If calderwood wants to sign giant lummoxes then that's fine by me, because I remember wishing to christ we had players like that.

I dont mind the giants bur hopefully some will be able to play a bit as well.

I dont mind the giants bur hopefully some will be able to play a bit as well.

Well, they outplayed us at Pittodrie, though I will say it was against a Paterson team.

And Paterson, I swear to christ, was sleeping through most of the game.

I'm not exaggerating for effect, he was actually sleeping.

I took a picture of it, actually.  Calderwood is up on his feet screaming at his players and shouting (probably incomprehensible) instructions to his players, and Paterson, bless his little booze soaked heart, was sleeping.

I must dig that picture out, so that when people moan about how bad Calderwood , they've got a frame of reference that shows how bad our previous manager was. 

Like I said, most fans cannae even remember Paterson, because they've got memories that only extend about 5 minutes into the past.

Guest bloo_toon_red

When Falkirk played at the weekend, the average age of the team was just 23, but with their transfer activity over the last few days, the nickname "Bairns" is fast becoming quite ironic:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/7399775.stm

Neil McCann (33) and Lee Bullen (37).

I actually wonder whether McCann might've been worth a one-year contract with us.......

When Falkirk played at the weekend, the average age of the team was just 23, but with their transfer activity over the last few days, the nickname "Bairns" is fast becoming quite ironic:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/7399775.stm

Neil McCann (33) and Lee Bullen (37).

I actually wonder whether McCann might've been worth a one-year contract with us.......

I actually thought these signings were quite interesting. Hughes has assembled a young squad that lacks leadership and direction. A few journeymen and experienced players might bring them a better balance. A team to watch I reckon.